Trump & Jerusalem: Why is this necessary?

If nothing else it has the appearance of the USA kowtowing to the Israeli government, once again. No doubt many Palestinians and other Arabs will find this move most unacceptable and further proving to them, that the US government is controlled by Zionists. Why inflame and already inflamed situation?

Could it be Trump did this because Obama never would?

I should post this in the CDZ, but what the hell, I'm here now.

Trump to recognize Jerusalem as Israel’s capital

With everything else going on right now, why is this necessary?

What is the NET - and I mean, above and beyond the anger this is stirring - positive of this move?

Mostly because he said he was going to do it, and it's something he can do without the input of Congress.

Plus it gives another distraction to set off the TDS nutters.

As a bonus it adds another "minus" to the concept of him being a white supremacist.
:laugh:

Ah, some fresh and meaty cynicism to start the day.

Good, thanks.

He may actually think it's the right thing to do as well, remember he is from NYC and NYC is the center of the "Zionist Conspiracy" as some would call it.

By "some" I of course mean idiots.

What is the NET - and I mean, above and beyond the anger this is stirring - positive of this move?

Donald wants to create distractions so we don't think about the criminality of him and everyone around him. He also wants to keep his evangelical crazies happy.

This is going to get people killed. (Even if I believe it's something to work toward as part of a diplomatic effort)

Diplomacy has been ongoing for decades through multiple presidents from both parties.

Maybe if the Arab States stop getting the crumbs they beg for they may finally start negotiating in good faith.

Mostly because he said he was going to do it, and it's something he can do without the input of Congress.

As a bonus it adds another "minus" to the concept of him being a white supremacist.

Good, thanks.

He may actually think it's the right thing to do as well, remember he is from NYC and NYC is the center of the "Zionist Conspiracy" as some would call it.

I'm guessing this decision just didn't happen overnight. No doubt the conversations leading up to it were largely political and tactical, not religious.

Yuck. As if there wasn't enough shit hitting the fan.

You don't do the right thing because it is easy. You do the right thing because it is the right thing to do. This has been promised to jews for a long time and Trump is the first POTUS with the balls to do it.
Do you think that our relationship with Israel would damaged if Trump didn't do this, right now, at this very moment?
Why declaring Jerusalem capital of Israel is controversial - CNN

will move US embassy there.
Why is declaring Jerusalem the capital such a big deal?
The final status of Jerusalem has always been one of the most difficult and sensitive questions in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. If the United States declares Jerusalem as the capital of Israel, it would be seen as prejudging that question, deciding an issue that was supposed to be left to negotiations and breaking with the international consensus on the holy city.

Recognizing Jerusalem as the capital also moves the United States one major step closer to relocating the embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem, which would be seen as cementing Israeli sovereignty over the city.

holy shit - non biased news from CNN. pretty good article that helps me understand anyway.
I don't see how in the world this could be considered a positive influence on peace talks, though.
then let me ask in return - when? if not now, when? given there is *never* stability in the region, what are / were we waiting on for us and all allies to go "ok, NOW you can have a new capital" - what were the issues and why has this been dragging on so long?

Donald wants to create distractions so we don't think about the criminality of him and everyone around him. He also wants to keep his evangelical crazies happy.

This is going to get people killed. (Even if I believe it's something to work toward as part of a diplomatic effort)

Diplomacy has been ongoing for decades through multiple presidents from both parties.

Maybe if the Arab States stop getting the crumbs they beg for they may finally start negotiating in good faith.
is that what we have been waiting on? the arab nations to agree to this?

that would *never* happen. period.

Good, thanks.

I'm guessing this decision just didn't happen overnight. No doubt the conversations leading up to it were largely political and tactical, not religious.

Yuck. As if there wasn't enough shit hitting the fan.

So many things have been punted down from administration to administration. North Korea, Taxes, Social Security. etc. Trump just seems to want to tackle these things, even if other Republicans don't want to.

They need to realize and their people need to realize that Israel isn't going anywhere, and a "one state solution" isn't going to happen.

We can debate the merits but it is certainly something Israel wants and will cause the US at least some headaches, probably many.

My question is, what did the deal maker in chief get in return?

You don't do the right thing because it is easy. You do the right thing because it is the right thing to do. This has been promised to jews for a long time and Trump is the first POTUS with the balls to do it.
Do you think that our relationship with Israel would damaged if Trump didn't do this, right now, at this very moment?

The final status of Jerusalem has always been one of the most difficult and sensitive questions in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. If the United States declares Jerusalem as the capital of Israel, it would be seen as prejudging that question, deciding an issue that was supposed to be left to negotiations and breaking with the international consensus on the holy city.

Recognizing Jerusalem as the capital also moves the United States one major step closer to relocating the embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem, which would be seen as cementing Israeli sovereignty over the city.

holy shit - non biased news from CNN. pretty good article that helps me understand anyway.
I don't see how in the world this could be considered a positive influence on peace talks, though.
then let me ask in return - when? if not now, when? given there is *never* stability in the region, what are / were we waiting on for us and all allies to go "ok, NOW you can have a new capital" - what were the issues and why has this been dragging on so long?
I sure don't know, and neither has anyone. My main question here is about the timing. If we're serious about peace in the Middle East, if we know what this is going to cause, why do we have to do this now?

If this is a political move, sure, it makes sense. If we're serious about peace, no, I don't see it.

We can debate the merits but it is certainly something Israel wants and will cause the US at least some headaches, probably many.

Maybe a little chaos we need to rescue..

Well, that's an interesting question.

but it doesn't mean it should be done in a thoughtless fashion that doesn't even give something in return.

that's part of the problem with the orange one destroying our state department. he's a ham-handed ignorant loon who doesn't understand the history.

You mean just let the fake jews take their homes in the west bank. Gaza, the largest outdoor prison.

I sure don't know, and neither has anyone. My main question here is about the timing. If we're serious about peace in the Middle East, if we know what this is going to cause, why do we have to do this now?

If this is a political move, sure, it makes sense. If we're serious about peace, no, I don't see it.
well given the arab states would likely *never* come to the table and agree to this - do we just keep waiting on them?

and when was the last time there was peace in that region? we'd have arab nations agreeing to the capital move before they'd agree to stop fighting.

You don't do the right thing because it is easy

You do the right thing because it is the right thing to do

This has been promised to jews for a long time and Trump is the first POTUS with the balls to do it.
so does this somehow formalize Israel as a country then? what is the significance of the move itself?

israel is already "formalized" as a country.what are you talking about?

but it doesn't mean it should be done in a thoughtless fashion that doesn't even give something in return.

that's part of the problem with the orange one destroying our state department. he's a ham-handed ignorant loon who doesn't understand the history.
there is zero reason, purpose or gain in talking to you because ANYTHING you say is going to be anti-trump and insulting to anyone who doesn't agree with you.

well given the arab states would likely *never* come to the table and agree to this - do we just keep waiting on them?

and when was the last time there was peace in that region? we'd have arab nations agreeing to the capital move before they'd agree to stop fighting.
Well, if we're giving up, then sure, what the hell.

Forum List

Back