Trump an Outsider?

Aug 10, 2015
Okay so Donald Trump is supposed to be the "ultimate outsider". When asked about giving to both sides of the politcal arena he said “I gave to many people before this,” Trump said at the debate: “When they call, I give. And you know what, when I need something from them two years later, three years later, I call them. They are there for me.” Isn't this exactly what we are talking about when we talk about insiders and politics as usual?

Okay so Donald Trump is supposed to be the "ultimate outsider". When asked about giving to both sides of the politcal arena he said “I gave to many people before this,” Trump said at the debate: “When they call, I give. And you know what, when I need something from them two years later, three years later, I call them. They are there for me.” Isn't this exactly what we are talking about when we talk about insiders and politics as usual?

No, he is someone who understands the current system and might be able to change it.

I believe that the ultimate outsider will be Fox News in the future. Who will take them seriously now? I believe their best days are behind them.

Trump openly admitted to bribing politicians in exchange for favors later down the road so that he can line his own pockets. Even politicians he believes may not have our countries best interests in mind. Yeah, he's just who we need as President. :rolleyes:

No, he is someone who understands the current system and might be able to change it.

He wasn't insinuating that what he did was negative in any way, and gave no indication he would halt such practices. He was defending his donations to a party advocating opposing policies, because they could give him favors later down the line.

Trump is playing the role of angry Conservative outsider. This role was constructed by movement conservatism as an instrument to exploit voter backlash against the culture war (gay marriage, abortion, Hollywood, illegals, etc) with a strong fear component built around national security (terrorism, Iran, etc). Tragically, very few conservative voters ever see through the act because they tend to trust their political heroes.

Barry Goldwater was the original Conservative outsider, but Ronald Reagan remains the archetype. Even though he was governor of California, and left the state in terrible debt with a far more liberal abortion policy, he claimed to be an anti-government outsider. But it gets better. Reagan tripled Carter's debt and shredded the American Constitution by selling weapons to Iran, the world's leading terrorist nation.

But wait, it gets even better. Movement Conservatism spent billions reforming his image after he left office (see the Reagan Legacy project). They focused on his most famous anti-government speeches while ignoring his insane spending and his partnerships with Iran and the Mujahideen in Afghanistan.

What the Republican Party realized is that they had a captive audience - an audience trained not to trust any news but Fox, Rush, Druge (etc), thus giving them power to say anything.

This will ultimately hurt Trump, who will be destroyed if he fails to self-destruct. But for the time-being, Trump will find plenty of naive fans who buy into his carefully constructed "straight-talking angry outsider".

God help us. These useful idiots vote. When will learn to stop trusting politics? Why are they such dupes?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back