True Refuge

I used to love fishing, but when I realized I didn't enjoy killing I saw what truly enjoyed was being near the water, being quiet, gazing with soft eyes.

So, you love pot and drowning

Refuge. The meaning to me is "a safe place". What is your fall back position of coming home to yourself that keeps you on an even keel and prevents you being rattled, or allows you to recover when you're rattled?

For me, refuge is coming back repeatedly to a state of mind that is reliable. A place that is a secure, inspiring security, or sanctuary inside oneself that helps you self-regulate.

What are the memories, experiences or practices you do that help you come back to yourself, that are a true refuge for you.
Hmmmm. Strange that you need to consciously do so much 'self regulating'? :)

Refuge is a safe place. When you're surrounded by loved ones, for example. Nothing defeats a harm doer more than enjoying your life fully.

Are you talking to me, Tilly? I thought you'd rather hang out in the Flame Zone.

No harm doers there, LOL.

The 6th-century Buddhist master Shantideva suggested that by staying present “with little cares, we train ourselves to work with great adversity.”

Yes, I'm steering of the Flame Zone. I don't know you, Tilly. NIce to meet you.

I want to make my brain like Velcro for the good stuff of daily life.

What is your "safe place" that you can go to?

For me, it's the dharma.

Even though many people practice Buddhist meditation, what differentiates a Buddhist from a non-Buddhist are the Refuge vows. Taking refuge in the Buddha, the Dharma and the Sangha.

That's what's going on in your head, Aaron. And you know that? That's meditation. Now watch awareness itself.

Forum List

Back