True Refuge

I meditate every day, and most Sundays, I go to a meditation group.

I meditate every day, and most Sundays, I go to a meditation group.

How is meditation different from day dreaming, or working out a problem in your mind?

Meditation is consciously focusing on being present in your body each moment, versus letting your mind wander or focusing on specific issues. I have pretty severe attention deficit disorder, and it really helps with slowing my mind down and focusing.

I take refuge until I am enlightened in the Buddha, the Dharma and the Sangha. By the positive potential I accrue by practing generosity, may I attain Buddhahood in order to benefit sentient beings.

May you be happy. May you have the causes of happiness.

May you be free of suffering.

May you never be separated from the Triple Gem in any of your lives.

May you find peace.

Without knowing your motivation, meditation is of limited benefit. The best motivation for meditating is to benefit yourself and others ultimately.

Clearly it has done you a world of good. :thup:

Last edited:
Refuge means a safe place. I'm so fortunate to have that and I wish that for ALL beings.

Refuge means a safe place. I'm so fortunate to have that and I wish that for ALL beings.

There is no such thing as a safe place. Even if you could separate yourself from every danger presented by the world and all the people in it, you are still susceptible to the danger from your own thoughts and actions.

There is no such thing as a safe place. Even if you could separate yourself from every danger presented by the world and all the people in it, you are still susceptible to the danger from your own thoughts and actions.
There is a safe place and that is within the heart. It is the Buddha, Dharma and Sangha. That is true mind protection.

Forum List

Back