True Love..

Before I start, this goes both ways.

In the Bible, it says for men to "...love your wives as I have loved the church."

Now, let's face it, churches are not perfect. They have all kinds of problems. However, despite this, God would go to any lengths to protect the church and keep them on the right path. He loves the church continuously no matter what they've done, and will continue to love the church no matter what they do in the future.

It's this kind of Godly, biblical love that I think constitutes 'true love.' Despite the flaws of the other person, one with this kind of love will deal with those flaws and may try to help correct them, but will never stop loving that person, no matter what. I see too many divorces now where the person filing says something like, "He just doesn't make me happy, anymore." If your love is dependant on the other person making you happy all the time, it's not good enough for a marriage, and you're a spoiled brat.

mom4 said:
:rotflmao: Smart move! :rotflmao:

Yeah..first time I did it she thought I said oxycontin.

That opened up way too many conversations about her numbing me, about me needing a sedative around her, etc.

I went with it and tried to tell her, "No baby..you just calm me down."

It was way too late. No go.

I'd define true love as:
1. Self-sacrificial. Both people are always looking out for the interests of the other person, even when they don't particularly want to.
2. Committed. Both people have no desire to be with others, or, if they do, they give those desires up because of their commitment to each other.
3. Forgiving. Both people continue to love each other, even when one does something to hurt the other. One party seeks to right their wrong, and the other shows forgiveness and does not hold grudges.

I think that with a foundation of the three things above, a couple can then experience things like passion, companionship, friendship, etc. on a level that makes the relationship satisfying.

Forum List

Back