Trouble In Turkey

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Turkey's top military leader resign - latimes.com

Turkey's top military leaders resign en masse
The resignations of much of Turkey's military leadership is seen as a new sign of tension between the old guard of the armed forces and a rising Muslim political elite led by Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan. The departures include the army's chief of general staff, Gen. Isik Kosaner, and the officers heading the Turkish ground forces, navy and air force.

By Borzou Daragahi

Los Angeles Times

12:19 PM PDT, July 29, 2011

Reporting from Beirut

Nearly the entire leadership of Turkey's armed forces departed en masse Friday, local media reported, in the latest sign of tension between the country's once dominant military old guard and a rising pious Muslim political elite.

Just like General McCrystal the administration has the right to decide whom it wants to work with.

Current Generals have been sent to retirement and it has been published in Official Gazette already.

New General Chief of Staff with President Gül:
a29223400.jpg

It does look as if the AK Partisi is shoring up it's control of all the estates of the Turkish Republic. It would appear to be another step along the road to dismantling the Atatürkist secular state. I don't think this can be great news for anyone.

I don't think this can be great news for anyone.

The AK Parti is this region's biggest People's movement with 50% election share.
We don't need paternalism from outside in defining what's good and what's not good for us.
We do exactly as we see fit.
Be it restructuring our Army or other internal decisions.

Men of the People's

653063968fe2afd56dc3d11.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think this can be great news for anyone.

The AK Parti is this region's biggest People's movement with 50% election share.
We don't need paternalism from outside in defining what's good and what's not good for us.
We do exactly as we see fit.
Be it restructuring our Army or other internal decisions.

Men of the People's

653063968fe2afd56dc3d11.jpg

I think you missed the point. Nah, I'm positive you missed the point.
Oh and since when was 50% representative of 100%, I must have missed that in math class.

Just like General McCrystal the administration has the right to decide whom it wants to work with.

Current Generals have been sent to retirement and it has been published in Official Gazette already.

New General Chief of Staff with President Gül:
a29223400.jpg

so they didn't resign?

and that photo speaks louldy look at the postures of Gul and the general...wagging his finger....hummmm

so they didn't resign?

and that photo speaks louldy look at the postures of Gul and the general...wagging his finger....hummmm

No, they didn't resign because of their pension payments.
They were sent into retirement so they still receive their pensions.

Is that another doctored photo?

And what do you think is good for Turkey? Suppressing minorities? Towering over Cyprus? Denying the Armenian holocaust? Another regime change is not what Turkey needs because it doesn't look like it's any better than what was held before, and regime changes are of the most unstable kind. You want to boot Erdoğan? Really?

This Arab spring (yes, I know Turkey is not Arab) is turning into an Arab piss bucket, not that I wouldn't like to see someone better than Erdoğan...but whatever.

Last edited:
2010 Progress-report on Turkish accession to EU:
http://ec.europa.eu/enlargement/pdf/key_documents/2010/package/tr_rapport_2010_en.pdf

Chapter on civilian - military relations

Overall, progress has been made on civilian oversight of security forces. The jurisdiction of military courts was limited, the decisions of the Supreme Military Council were opened to judicial review and arrangements were made for high-ranking officers to be tried by civilian courts. However, senior members of the armed forces have made a number of statements going beyond their remit, in particular on judicial issues. No progress was made on parliamentary oversight over extra-budgetary military funds.

i just hope y'all dont join the EU, i love my 12 gauge Akkar shotgun,

Got it for a great price compared to the competition,

the EU probably would make ya stop making them.

People don't like strong leaders and independent-minded countries around here, who expand their influence at cost of others.
Nothing more needs to be said on this issue.

In 2012 Mr.Putin will also return ruling Russia officially.

LoL
burger1665866c.jpg

People don't like strong leaders and independent-minded countries around here, who expand their influence at cost of others.
Nothing more needs to be said on this issue.

In 2012 Mr.Putin will also return ruling Russia officially.

LoL
burger1665866c.jpg

So you're equating Russian desire for empire with Turkey's new government? Trying it regain the old Ottoman empire? :eusa_eh:

So you're equating Russian desire for empire with Turkey's new government? Trying it regain the old Ottoman empire? :eusa_eh:

I admire any person who takes his nation and puts it on course towards much larger goals. From economic expansion to restoring national pride. Putin is one of the greatest leader of our times. He has put Russia back into its natural relevance. As such he is to be admired, and the Russians off course admire him and he has a cult-status wide over the Russian borders.

This world needs a strong Russia, Medvedev was just a gap-filler as Putin couldn't directly rule his next term due to constitution.

I admire any person who takes his nation and puts it on course towards much larger goals. From economic expansion to restoring national pride. Putin is one of the greatest leader of our times. He has put Russia back into its natural relevance. As such he is to be admired, and the Russians off course admire him and he has a cult-status wide over the Russian borders.

This world needs a strong Russia, Medvedev was just a gap-filler as Putin couldn't directly rule his next term due to constitution.

Ya know there's a lot of people who felt the same way about Hitler and Stalin. Uuummmmm............

Forum List

Back