Trayvon Martin And The Right To Be Left Alone...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by paulitician, Apr 18, 2012.

1. paulitician

paulitician Platinum Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,972
    Interesting take from Mark Judge.

I’ve never been able to get over the crucial minutes of George Zimmerman’s encounter with Trayvon Martin. I’m not talking about the initial struggle, or even the fatal shooting. That’s where most of the media coverage has been, and for good reason. A life has been lost and it’s important to figure out exactly what happened.

I just have never been able to answer a basic question: Why was Zimmerman bothering Martin to begin with?

For me, the Trayvon Martin case is about something that is fundamental to America: the ability to go out and take a walk or pick up some junk food without being hassled. I’m aware that “hassle” is a term straight out of 1973, and maybe that’s deliberate. When I was growing up in Maryland in the 1970s, my mom had a term for people in the neighborhood who made it their job to mind everything that went on there: the sidewalk superintendent.

Sidewalk superintendents were mostly decent people just trying to protect the neighborhood. Bill Bennett once noted that in the old days the neighborhood watch consisted of mothers on their front porches who could spring into action when they saw something amiss. Such people are an important part of creating a safe and thriving community. Indeed, George Zimmerman had foiled at least one robbery in Twin Lakes, the crime-ridden complex in Florida where the shooting took place.

Trayvon Martin was not one of these; he was a teenage kid. But he was exercising his right to take a nocturnal sojourn and enter a quiet space where the world did not intrude. It set my conservative (even libertarian-leaning) alarm off when I heard the 911 tape where Zimmerman tells police that Trayvon Martin looks like he “is up to no good.” It was just too reminiscent of some sidewalk superintendents I knew as a kid. They were the guys who appeared the second you lit some firecrackers or killed a tick with a magnifying glass...

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2012/04/16/trayvon-martin-and-the-right-to-be-left-alone/#ixzz1sPVENUUK

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  2. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Are you suggesting an anti-hassle law ?

3. paulitician

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,972
    No.

4. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,301
    A kid going out at 7 pm to get a can of tea and some candy. A man with a background that never should have allowed him to have a concealed carry permit. The man follows the kid. The kid becomes aware of it, and is worried. The police advise the man to not make contact with the kid. And a couple of minutes later, the kid is dead. And we have only Zimmerman's words for what happened in those couple of minutes.

So, had Zimmerman not had a gun, the kid would be alive. Error #1, that Zimmerman was given the permit.

Had Zimmerman not followed the kid, the kid would be alive. As the article stated, what right did Zimmerman have to follow the kid? Why did he not simply advise the police and cease and desist?
    Error #2

The Police told Zimmerman not to contact the kid. But Zimmerman got out of his vehicle and looked for the kid anyway. Error #3 on Zimmerman's part.

The kid went to the store for some tea and candy. Error #1

The kid did not run as fast as possible once he realized that he was being followed. Error #2

Since we still do not know what really took place at the confrontation, so we do not know errors were there.

Seems to me that based on the errors noted, that Zimmerman's were of a much more serious nature than those of the kid's.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. nodoginnafight

nodoginnafight No Party Affiliation

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,497
    As bad as some of the media coverage has been with edited tapes and using what I feel are old and prejudicial pictures, I have some of the same questions. Neighborhood Watch folks aren't supposed to carry guns. Neighborhood Watch folks should follow instructions from real law enforcement (like stop following him)
    Now a kid is dead. Sounds like manslaughter might have been a more resonable charge, but maybe they know a lot more than I do (God - I hope so).

6. paulitician

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,972
    I'm not convicting Zimmerman before due process, and neither is the author of this article. But the article is very interesting.

7. Dick Tuck

Dick Tuck Board Troll

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +502
    It is. It's a colorblind look at the right to just take a fucking walk, without being profiled. The only time I've ever been pulled over was when I had a bad tail light, forgot to pay a ticket, or was doing something dumb. I worked for a black person for a good bit of my career, who was a world class medical scientist. He'd be pulled over at least once a month without cause, because he drove a Lexus in a wealthier neighborhood, where he lived.

Profiling is far from where we want to be as a people. Being stopped for walking or driving while black is a sick indictment about our collective mindset.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  8. Jarhead

Jarhead Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,286
    But the article is assuming he was just "walking"..

Now...I dont know what happened....and I have no presumptions...

But...

Maybe he was just walking
    Maybe he was walking from car to car seeing if one was unlocked? That is very suspicious.
    Maybe he was not actually walking on the sidewalk but closer to the front doors seeing which one may be ajar?
    Maybe he was just walking
    Maybe he would slow down near a front door and "look around" as if trying to see if someone sees him
    Maybe he was just walking.

That article AGAIN did the wrong thing.

It assumes he did not ACT suspicious.

FYI...people usually dont LOOK suspicious...but many ACT suspicious.

There should be no more artilces on this. Let the facts come out first.

9. Luddly Neddite

Luddly Neddite Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,829
    Spot on points. This is still the United States and we still have the right to walk, unmolested, down the street to buy something at the corner store.

Except if you're a black kid wearing a hoode against the child rain.

Zimmerman wll get away with his premeditated murder of Travon Martin.

10. Jarhead

Jarhead Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,286
    And you know he was "just taking a walk"?
    You know that as fact?