Tragedy At Virginia Tech Campus

I agree that something should have been done upon realising that this kid was a potential nutcase. Though i dont think it is the students obligation to protect anyone. THis school should have the resources to prevent things like this before they happen. They should have the resources to protect thier students. Where is the report on his mental stability after seeing a therapist? I can understand if this kid was not showing signs but he was clearly troubled, and that should have been adressed, and at least attached to his record. Mental stability should be attached to your background report. Dont you agree?

You just called us all psycho's then pointed out the fact the guy who did this was NOT American? Speaking of :cuckoo:

OK GUN nyl, you wear the military insignier with pride somehow your national pride is linked to guns, two crossed gunns on the badge :eusa_wall: Like i said he was in the same enviroment as everyone else, and the same availability of guns.
stop defending your country, no one other country has this kind of tradjedy so often, this you can not excape.
To say more security can help a little bit is probably true, but banning guns will help alot.
your NRA is so powerfull nothing will happen.
the question remains, why the US? and, what you gona do about it? you need to find the source of the problem, but i suspect they will just increase security raise fear and make the problem worse.

banning guns?

jesus christ...

im glad we dont ban cars every time some asshole drives drunk.

That post about cars was stupid. Guns are created for the sole purpose of killing, cars are created for transportation. Why dont you look up how many people have died from guns, and compare it to how many people have died in accidents. Guess what you get? More people dying from accidents. Why? Because EVERYONE has a car, and not everyone has a gun. You want to allow more people to conceal weapons? That is stupid, thats like saying, lets allow more honest people to drive drunk and hope they dont kill anyone because they are honest. Thought guns should not be banned, they should definitely be banned on campus or any federal building.

banning guns?

jesus christ...

im glad we dont ban cars every time some asshole drives drunk.

You love them dont you, your all crazy. how can having guns everywhere be safer, its madness. no guns, no gun deaths simple. all you have to do is pull the triger then BANG youv'e killed someone, there have been times in my life i have been so angry i wanted to hurt someone, if i had a gun i probably would have used it, and i would now be a murderer.

for the majority of American history guns were the sole source of protection and hunting. cars are still giant metal behemoths who can kill just as well as a gun can when not used responsibly.. lets simmer down on the mellowdrama...

every gun free nation you can bring up STILL HAS CRIME.

why dont you consider the statistic reality of criminal behaviour with guns to total number of people who have guns.... what do you think this says about the frequency of criminal behaviour/total gun ownership?

banning guns wont solve anything more than banning mortal kombat and marylin manson would have prevented columbine.

believe it or not there are other issues at play besides gun violence.. crimes of passion happen with weapons other than knives too. believe it.

before gun powder humans were still murdered for passionate reasons by people who freaked the hell out for one of lifes various reasons.

You love them dont you, your all crazy. how can having guns everywhere be safer, its madness. no guns, no gun deaths simple. all you have to do is pull the triger then BANG youv'e killed someone, there have been times in my life i have been so angry i wanted to hurt someone, if i had a gun i probably would have used it, and i would now be a murderer.

thats just it.. it's a little TOO simple.
so, do we ban sharp objects next?
Why not consider the total picture instead of a single line of paint?

and, in your scenerio, if you were being raped in an alleyway and had a gun I would HOPE you used it and would doubt that you would be seen as a murderer. If you are stupid enough to use a gun for petty shit then yes.. you would be a murderer just like this asshole yesterday. Are you telling me you are that mentally unstable?

for the majority of American history guns were the sole source of protection and hunting. cars are still giant metal behemoths who can kill just as well as a gun can when not used responsibly.. lets simmer down on the mellowdrama...

every gun free nation you can bring up STILL HAS CRIME.

why dont you consider the statistic reality of criminal behaviour with guns to total number of people who have guns.... what do you think this says about the frequency of criminal behaviour/total gun ownership?

banning guns wont solve anything more than banning mortal kombat and marylin manson would have prevented columbine.

believe it or not there are other issues at play besides gun violence.. crimes of passion happen with weapons other than knives too. believe it.

before gun powder humans were still murdered for passionate reasons by people who freaked the hell out for one of lifes various reasons.

Unbelivable, gun free countrys still have crime, i can't belive you said that, every country has crime, but not every country has quite the level of murder your counrty has. I wouldn't feel safe living in a country like this. im just glad i live in the Uk where i can get in an argument with someone and not have the fear of getting shot.
and yes people always freaked out, but now they have gunns so they can maximise there vengance and kill far more people. try killing 31 people with a knife (not literally) after 2 or 3 you would get bundled to the ground.

You love them dont you, your all crazy.

Love them? No, I don't "love" my guns. I respect my guns. I enjoy going to the range and shooting my guns. But I do not "love" my guns. I love my wife, I love my children, I love my family, and I love my dogs.

how can having guns everywhere be safer, its madness. no guns, no gun deaths simple.

Really? No guns, no gun deaths? Tell that to the mayor of Nagasaki. He was gunned down today. In Japan. A country where handguns are strictly banned

all you have to do is pull the triger then BANG youv'e killed someone

Yeah, it's pretty much that easy.

there have been times in my life i have been so angry i wanted to hurt someone, if i had a gun i probably would have used it, and i would now be a murderer.

Then I would have to say that it is a good thing you don't own a gun. No offense, but have you considered therapy? Anger management classes? In my 42 years I have never been so angry as to want to cause someone bodily harm.

Unbelivable, gun free countrys still have crime, i can't belive you said that, every country has crime, but not every country has quite the level of murder your counrty has. I wouldn't feel safe living in a country like this. im just glad i live in the Uk where i can get in an argument with someone and not have the fear of getting shot.
and yes people always freaked out, but now they have gunns so they can maximise there vengance and kill far more people. try killing 31 people with a knife (not literally) after 2 or 3 you would get bundled to the ground.

thats exactly it.. EVERY COUNTY HAS CRIME. shit happens.. believe it.

do you think that NO ONE in the history of the world killed 31 people in one day with a bladed weapon? do you think that nixing guns would mean that people only carried butter knives and flyswatters? gimme a break.

If you cannot fathom living in the US then, by all means, I invite you to stay put. In fact, since you live in the UK your opinion of our gun laws means two things.. the first one is Jack.. can you guess what the second one is?

how about if I go ahead and keep my opinion of your monarchy to myself while you leave our second amendment to us?

and, in your scenerio, if you were being raped in an alleyway and had a gun I would HOPE you used it and would doubt that you would be seen as a murderer. QUOTE]

What do you do when you pick up a gun, you point it and say bang, you cant drive it you cant make smothies with it, at a push you can bang nails with it but lets face it, the whole reason for its exsitance is to kill, the same can not be said of sharp objects cars, knives, or any other combacks you have in store we could go on all day like that.
if i was raped in an alleyway and shot someone i would still be a murderer.
Like i said americans are too mentaly ill to responably use guns, but who cares, I dont live there as long as you keep it to yourselves, its fine, go kill each other.

and, in your scenerio, if you were being raped in an alleyway and had a gun I would HOPE you used it and would doubt that you would be seen as a murderer. QUOTE]

What do you do when you pick up a gun, you point it and say bang, you cant drive it you cant make smothies with it, at a push you can bang nails with it but lets face it, the whole reason for its exsitance is to kill, the same can not be said of sharp objects cars, knives, or any other combacks you have in store we could go on all day like that.
Like i said americans are too mentaly ill to responably use guns, but who cares, I dont live there as long as you keep it to yourselves, its fine, go kill each other.

LOL! Americans are 'too mentaly ill' (sic) My, you are restrained. Tell you what, run your country the way you like, leave ours to us.

thats exactly it.. EVERY COUNTY HAS CRIME. shit happens.. believe it.

do you think that NO ONE in the history of the world killed 31 people in one day with a bladed weapon? do you think that nixing guns would mean that people only carried butter knives and flyswatters? gimme a break.

If you cannot fathom living in the US then, by all means, I invite you to stay put. In fact, since you live in the UK your opinion of our gun laws means two things.. the first one is Jack.. can you guess what the second one is?

how about if I go ahead and keep my opinion of your monarchy to myself while you leave our second amendment to us?

Well the yanks are more fansinated by our monarcy than we are, you can have them if you want, amendment to what, ah, the constiution, which was writed and signed by english people.
Oh and I have lived in the us, and yes you are all gun mad, my uncle shot his cat while i was there. and I was told not to go down town (Atlanta) because of all the gun crime. you don't get that in england I've lived in some of the most dangerous places in london, No problem. No fear.

LOL! Americans are 'too mentaly ill' (sic) My, you are restrained. Tell you what, run your country the way you like, leave ours to us.

who's running your country, thats right, its the democrats now, thank god.
I'll keep leave the us to the us when the us leaves the rest of the world alone, can't wait till all the countrys by oil in euro's and america goes into depression.

Nets Blame Virginia's 'Lax' Gun Laws, Gibson and Couric Press Bush on Gun Control
Posted by Brent Baker on April 17, 2007 - 21:13.
Without any regard to how school shootings in recent years have occurred in states and nations with stricter gun laws, including one last year at a college in Quebec, Canada, ABC and CBS on Tuesday night focused stories and questions on Virginia's “lax” gun laws. “How the gunman purchased the murder weapon,” ABC anchor Charles Gibson teased an upcoming story, “Virginia's controversial gun laws: How lax are they? Brian Ross investigates.” Ross confirmed that “Virginia's gun laws, indeed, are regarded by law enforcement officials as among the most lax in the country.” Ross relayed how “for gun control advocates, the ease with which Cho [Seung-Hui] was able to legally get his Glock and a box of ammunition reveals the problems with Virginia's gun laws.” Over undercover footage recorded by the New York City Police Department, Ross explained how it shows “it's possible to buy a handgun at a Virginia gun store with no waiting period and only what is called an instant background check.” Though Ross aired a condemnatory soundbite from NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly, he failed to note that Virginia has a lot fewer gun crimes per capita than does New York City.

As if the media have nothing to do with “igniting” a debate on guns (ABCNews.com on Monday posted the question: “Do you think this incident is a reason to pass stricter gun control legislation?”), Gibson asked President Bush: “After Columbine, there was ignited a national debate on guns. Do you think this is going to rekindle the national debate?” Over on the CBS Evening News, Katie Couric, also on scene in Blacksburg, pressed Bush: “As you well know, after events like this, discussions about gun control inevitably follow. Is it too easy, in your view, for unstable people to purchase guns in this country?” Leading into an earlier story from Armen Keteyian, Couric cited “the question I asked the President about gun control. It's something many people are thinking about after the tragedy here at Virginia Tech, especially considering the gunman needed only two IDs and a credit card to buy the weapons and ammunition he used.”

CBSNews.com headlined the online version of Keteyian's story, “Virginia Tech Killer Used Easy-To-Get Guns; CBS News: Shooter Used Pistol, Handgun In State With No Registration, Gun-Waiting Period.”

During the 5pm EDT hour of CNN's The Situation Room, Wolf Blitzer asked Bill Schneider: “Is the Virginia Tech tragedy, Bill, likely to put the issue of gun control on the political agenda once again?” Schneider rejected the premise: “I wouldn't bet on it,” going on to explain how politicians want to avoid the topic.

NBC Nightly News anchor Brian Williams limited his gun control coverage to one vague question to President Bush (“What do we do about these guns?”) and a later story on foreign reaction which included overseas denunciations of America's “gun culture.”

All three broadcast networks delivered hour-long newscasts Tuesday night which originated from Blacksburg, Virginia and all three anchors conducted brief interviews with President and Mrs. Bush who attended the 2pm EDT convocation. But Washington, DC's CBS affiliate only carried the first half hour of the CBS Evening News, so I got Couric's question to Bush from the CBSNews.com posting of the interview.

The agenda-fueled ABC story on the April 17 World News:

Charles Gibson: “The massacre here at Virginia Tech is throwing a new spotlight on Virginia's gun laws. When he was Virginia's Governor, Douglas Wilder said it was so easy to buy firearms in his state that Virginia had the unenviable reputation as the gun-running capital of America. Fourteen years later, Seung-Hui Cho had little trouble buying the guns used in yesterday's rampage. Our chief investigative correspondent, Brian Ross, joins us.”

Brian Ross: “Charlie, Virginia's gun laws, indeed, are regarded by law enforcement officials as among the most lax in the country. The Roanoke firearms store where Seung-Hui Cho bought his murder weapon has a history of selling guns involved in murders. It is the fifth time a gun sold in this store has been used in a homicide, according to gun shop owner John Markell. But he says there was nothing about Cho's manner that raised suspicions. The sale was carried out in just 10 or 15 minutes.”

John Markell, owner of Roanoke Firearms: “There were no red flags kicked up in any way. He got a clean bill of health from the state police. There was just no reason for me not to have sold him the gun.”

Ross: “Virginia officials say the kind of pistol used in the Virginia Tech shooting, a Glock 9 millimeter handgun, is among the most popular because it is lightweight and easily reloaded.”

Nolan Avery, LAX Fire Range Inc: “It's a very simple design. Very easy to use.”

Ross: “For gun control advocates, the ease with which Cho was able to legally get his Glock and a box of ammunition reveals the problems with Virginia's gun laws.”

Josh Horowitz, Coalition to Stop Gun Violence: “Virginia is, 'let's sell it to somebody and let's not find out anything about them.' And I think in this case that may have led to a tragedy.”

Ross: “As this undercover footage shows, it's possible to buy a handgun at a Virginia gun store with no waiting period and only what is called an instant background check. This footage was recorded by an undercover team sent to Virginia by the New York City Police Department, which says Virginia is the top source for illegal guns used in crimes committed in New York. The undercover team only had to produce two IDs and fill out a few forms in order to walk out of the store with a handgun.”

Ray Kelly, New York City Police Commissioner: “It is, quite frankly, an easy state in which to buy a weapon. The philosophy is that it appears to be an entitlement to own a handgun.”

Ross: “But many in Virginia like it that way. And, in fact, some think there should be more guns on campuses. Gun advocates actually brought a lawsuit last year when Virginia Tech and other schools made their campuses weapons-free. Now, some say that if students had been armed, they could have stopped the shootings sooner.”

John Velleco, Gun Owners of America: “It's tragic to mandatorily disarm the citizenry and create these gun-free zones which are, in a sense, you know, give these deranged madmen easy targets.”

Ross: “Until he walked on the campus with his weapons, everything about Cho's gun purchases was legal under current U.S. and Virginia laws.”

http://newsbusters.org/node/12106

All in all, I would NOT want my child nor any member of my family, attending a college that allowed guns on campus concealed to "honest" students like cho sugn hui. Thats my opinion though. Some people would like that.

All in all, I would NOT want my child nor any member of my family, attending a college that allowed guns on campus concealed to "honest" students like cho sugn hui. Thats my opinion though. Some people would like that.

What is wrong with allowing law abiding people to defend themselves? People cannot depend on 911 and the Police for their security

Is the goal to make every tool in our toolbelt a smoothie machine or a car? Your logic is a bit off. I guess you've never heard of target practice, shooting clay pidgeons and the like? Again, YOU stick with your crumpets and tea and WE will stick with our freedom to have guns. You have about as much reason to come over here amidst those you think are neanderthals as I do to come over to your nation and piss on your queens leg. Are you telling me that SHARP OBJECTS are not meant to CUT FLESH?

If you were raped in an alleyway and shot your rapist then you would be defending yourself like any other reasonable person would do. Acting mollowdramatic would only get you raped. which is fluff since, im betting, if given the choice between Stranger Penetration and blowing your atackers brains out youd pick the latter...

"uh yea.. im taking this alleyway gang rape for the principal of things.."

I doubt it.

ps, Your criticism of American mentality is about as significant to the US as colgate, crest, listerine and other oral hygene products seems to be in the UK.

Well the yanks are more fansinated by our monarcy than we are, you can have them if you want, amendment to what, ah, the constiution, which was writed and signed by english people.
Oh and I have lived in the us, and yes you are all gun mad, my uncle shot his cat while i was there. and I was told not to go down town (Atlanta) because of all the gun crime. you don't get that in england I've lived in some of the most dangerous places in london, No problem. No fear.

You might brush up on your history lesson a bit.. but I digress...

Given that YOUR uncle shot the cat and YOU can fathom shooting people because you are having a bad day... perhaps it is just YOU who should not be packing heat, yes? genetics, yo...

so.. England just DOESNT have gun crime, eh?

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/rds/pdfs2/hosb0104.pdf

hmmm.. looks like someone didnt do their homework...

Forum List

Back