Trade Wars - Its on !!!

US on brink of trade war with EU, Canada and Mexico as tit-for-tat tariffs begin

The United States and its traditional allies are on the brink of a full-scale trade war after European and Canadian leaders reacted swiftly and angrily to Donald Trump’s decision to impose tariffs on steel and aluminium producers.

The president of the European commission, Jean-Claude Juncker, promised immediate retaliation after the US commerce secretary, Wilbur Ross, said EU companies would face a 25% duty on steel and a 10% duty on aluminium from midnight on Thursday.

Europe, along with Canada and Mexico, had been granted a temporary reprieve from the tariffs after they were unveiled by Donald Trump two months ago.

However, Ross sent shudders through global financial markets when he said insufficient progress had been made in talks with three of the US’s traditional allies to reduce America’s trade deficit and that the waiver was being lifted.

Wall Street slumped as the Dow Jones Industrial Average shed more than 200 points, while shares across Europe also declined.

The move from Washington – which comes at a time when Trump is also threatening protectionist action against China – triggered an immediate and angry response from Canada, Brussels and from individual European capitals.

Juncker called the US move “unjustified” and said the EU had no choice but to hit back with tariffs on US goods and a case at the World Trade Organisation in Geneva.

So what is going to happen here then ?

Gee, maybe the EU will drop its tariffs on the US?
Why is it OK for the EU to impose tariffs, but if President Trump does then its “foolish”?

They like paying higher prices for stuff.

The US has been getting blasted by other countries for decades.

Bout time we returned the favor.

If history has taught you anything, it should have taught you ...don't go to war with America ... trade or otherwise...

hiroshima-bombing-enola-gay.jpg

should be interesting to see who wins this trade war .

The same as always...the wealthy.
As they watch their profits go up.
American-made widget sells for $11 now - Chinese-made widget sells for $10 now.
After tariffs - Chinese made one then costs $12.50.
Does American widget manufacturer keep price at $11? Are you kidding?
Of course not...they raise price to $11.50. So they make more money, keep price under imported one and the consumer pays more.
That is how major tariffs (usually) work.

Who loses? The same as always...the poor/middle classes.
As they have to pay more for everything that is directly/indirectly effected by the tariffs.

And for those of who naive enough to think American manufacturers will build more plants to take up the slack - guess again. These companies have no idea how long the INCREDIBLY fickle Trump will keep the tariffs on.
These companies are not going to spend hundreds of millions to build new factories when the tariffs could end tomorrow.
All the American manufacturers will do is maybe add a second/third shift. But there is NO WAY they will spend mega-bucks on expansion solely because of the tariffs.
--------------------------------- thanks McROCKET . HEY . you aren't related to the 'rocketman' of north korean fame are you ?? [just kidding ] Anyway , thanks for the reply . Yeah , i understand that things will get more expensive if you buy foreign made goods or junk . But thats no problem , buy American made TOYOTA or Dodge [and WESCO Boots] or whatever else is made in the USA . ----------------- and by the way , when was the last trade war that the USA was involved in , if you know . I do not ever remember a trade war in my 68 years as an American McRocket .

The last major trade war in America - to my knowledge - was in the 1930's after Smoot-Hawley was passed.

Smoot–Hawley Tariff Act - Wikipedia

And it was a complete disaster.

And this is 2018 , But thankyou , and Americans lived through it and went on to build the Greatest Nation on Gods good green earth . Tariffs by TRUMP may be just the thing that gets the world in line . I don't mind seeing them happen if TRUMP decides to use them , After all , we elected TRUMP because we trusted him to do the best for America and he knows much more about money , business , economy then most Americans . Most Americans only concern themselves with what is in their pockets while TRUMP is concerned with Americas well being and future MRocket .

I think the actual term "Trade War" excites some of the dullards amongst his base. (IE all of them)

If it was called the

"Your cost of living is going up and you may lose your job - War"

then the brighter sparks may have pause for thought.

I think the actual term "Trade War" excites some of the dullards amongst his base. (IE all of them)

If it was called the

------------------------------------------ anything that takes the USA back to where it should be as we 'MAGA' is more than acceptable and is in fact wanted . Its why we elected President Trump Tommy !!

If it was called the

------------------------------------------ anything that takes the USA back to where it should be as we 'MAGA' is more than acceptable and is in fact wanted . Its why we elected President Trump Tommy !!
Good for you !!

If it was called the

------------------------------------ A little bit of pain , well tighten yer belt . A whole lot of pain , well tighten yer belt even tighter Tommy .

Aluminum and steel tariffs not that big a deal. Auto patrs not yet implemented.

But it's we are all gonna die HYPE.

If it was called the

Good for you !!
---------------------------------------------- I mean , look at this astute comment by Tommy just above my post .

yeah , steel and aluminum tariffs , cars may get more expensive . Well buy a used car . Its not like any American eats steel and aluminum do they .

yeah , steel and aluminum tariffs , cars may get more expensive . Well buy a used car . Its not like any American eats steel and aluminum do they .
Its not like you re having to make adjustments in your lifestyle is it ?

-------------------------------- silly comment Tommy , its nothing to do with me or my wife or family . Americans will just have to adjust and as people don't eat steel and aluminum there is no big problem as everyone still eats . I think that the TRUMP MAY simply be slapping YOU 'euros' around as he gets you 'euros' back in line with threat of trade war or maybe a real trade war . As The TRUMP is prone to saying , we will see what happens Tommy .

-------------------------------- silly comment Tommy , its nothing to do with me or my wife or family . Americans will just have to adjust and as people don't eat steel and aluminum there is no big problem as everyone still eats . I think that the TRUMP MAY simply be slapping YOU 'euros' around as he gets you 'euros' back in line with threat of trade war or maybe a real trade war . As The TRUMP is prone to saying , we will see what happens Tommy .
You set the bar very low. Eating ?

How's that VAT tax working out for you guys over there??

You charge more for everything,. Yet want to complain about us. How much do you pay for power??? For Gas?? You have no right to bitch

--------------------------------------- EATING is basic and essential . Millions , maybe billions have NOTHING to eat , You should be thankful if you have enough to EAT Tommy .

A punishment levied on Americans by Trump, knowing full well that he and the wealthy won’t feel it as it inflicts harm on the lower and middle classes

Should we just stay bent over to countries taking advantage of us, they don’t want to give up the gravy train they got, and you want to keep giving them the better deal, don’t you look stupid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--------------------------------------- EATING is basic and essential . Millions , maybe billions have NOTHING to eat , You should be thankful if you have enough to EAT Tommy .

Trump wasnt elected on a platform of "you will still be able to eat".

Forum List

Back