Toyota may offer you an Ammonia powered automobile

This Princeton article is interesting. Apparently one byproduct of ammonia combustion is nitrous oxide so I guess we would be adding a new pollutant to the air, but we would be laughing about it.

This Princeton article is interesting. Apparently one byproduct of ammonia combustion is nitrous oxide so I guess we would be adding a new pollutant to the air, but we would be laughing about it.

Exactly. A much more powerful greenhouse gas than CO2.

What is the purpose of trolling an interesting thread on an alternate fuel?
There is nothing trolling about the point I made. Ammonia is not something you want leaking out of your car when you are pinned in it in a crash. In addition the nitrogen and ozone released into the atmosphere makes it particularly unattractive as an alternative fuel and it is highly corrosive to metal . This is not a new fuel. Rockets have used it.

There is nothing trolling about the point I made. Ammonia is not something you want leaking out of your car when you are pinned in it in a crash. In addition the nitrogen and ozone released into the atmosphere makes it particularly unattractive as an alternative fuel and it is highly corrosive to metal . This is not a new fuel. Rockets have used it.
I understand your remark about Nitrogen, which happens to be most of the atmosphere, but how did you come up with ozone? Ammonia stinks and that is valid to object. Consider common table salt. It is two elements that are not good for humans. Sodium in sufficient amounts is fatal to humans. Chloride is good for you and you eat it daily.
It makes no sense for Toyota to unleash untreated Ammonia on the public. Anyway, complaints I have read elsewhere include that Toyota loves to experiment and is willing to discuss failures as well.

I understand your remark about Nitrogen, which happens to be most of the atmosphere, but how did you come up with ozone? Ammonia stinks and that is valid to object. Consider common table salt. It is two elements that are not good for humans. Sodium in sufficient amounts is fatal to humans. Chloride is good for you and you eat it daily.
It makes no sense for Toyota to unleash untreated Ammonia on the public. Anyway, complaints I have read elsewhere include that Toyota loves to experiment and is willing to discuss failures as well.

It is really not an experiment. It is not new. There are already trucks that run on it. My understanding is that the nitrogen in the ammonia reacts with pollutants already in the air which yields an ozone byproduct that contributes to ground-level smog.

It is really not an experiment. It is not new. There are already trucks that run on it. My understanding is that the nitrogen in the ammonia reacts with pollutants already in the air which yields an ozone byproduct that contributes to ground-level smog.
I see your point about Nitrogen. But it does not make sense given it is already the most abundant element we breathe. There is already a vast amount to react with. I have to be pretty careful on chemistry. It has been decades since I studied it in college. I tried to use table salt to explain it but claimed cloride is bad for you when it really is good for us. Sodium in Salt is in very low levels. It is not a good analogy.

I see your point about Nitrogen. But it does not make sense given it is already the most abundant element we breathe. There is already a vast amount to react with. I have to be pretty careful on chemistry. It has been decades since I studied it in college. I tried to use table salt to explain it but claimed cloride is bad for you when it really is good for us. Sodium in Salt is in very low levels. It is not a good analogy.

If you burn ammonia, you don't get just water vapor and nitrogen.
You also get nitrogen oxides. Which cause smog, destroy the ozone layer
and cause many times the global warming as the same amount of carbon dioxide.

If you're hoping that ammonia combustion engines are somehow cleaner than gasoline
or natural gas engines, you're going to be disappointed.

Forum List

Back