Total Panic - No Keyboard!

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
What would YOU do if you were typing a post and suddenly you touched the keys AND NOTHING HAPPENED?

Well, it happened to me and I wrote about it on one of my blogs; A Soldier's Stories. Drop by and enjoy it. (And hope it doesn't happen to you)

Attachments

• My PC.jpg
    My PC.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 89
What would YOU do if you were typing a post and suddenly you touched the keys AND NOTHING HAPPENED?

Well, it happened to me and I wrote about it on one of my blogs; A Soldier's Stories. Drop by and enjoy it. (And hope it doesn't happen to you)

Hey Carla_Danger --- it worked!
rubbing-hands-in-excitement-smiley-emoticon.gif

This was even better than cutting off his coffee supply. You want to borrow the remote? :rofl:

This was even better than cutting off his coffee supply. You want to borrow the remote? :rofl:

I'm reading this story on his blog now.

A Soldier's Stories
On writing in general and stories relating to my 23 years in the US Army and 30 years in Las Vegas

I was typing something and suddenly it stopped. I could hit all the keys I wanted and nothing happened!

Was it my word processor? I went through every darn thing on the toolbar at the top and there was nothing about a keyboard.

I checked every single connection to the back of my desktop. I then tried to do a search for keyboard using Cortana (I have Windows 10) and nothing! No letters appearing in the search box.

The mouse worked just fine so I went to the little windows icon and it opened up. But, where did I go without being able to type anything?

That was some powerful stuff. An intense read for sure. I can't wait to finish to find out how he got his keyboard back!!! The suspense is killing me. :)

Ha! Ha! Got it back! :dance:

Cursors! Foiled again! :(

I found it an interesting read.

Not everyone is proficient with PC's.

When you are not, the most frustatiing thing of all, is the staggering amount of time wasted getting them to work properly. It is amazing how quickely an expert gets them up and working properly.

You seem like an intelligent individual that can solve your PC problems, but since you are not an expert, what might take you four or five hours, or maybe even a few days to figure out, an expert can have taken care of in ten minutes. THAT is what is postively aggravating.

I grew up with computers, though I am not an expert myself. My father worked for ATT before ma bell broke up and then for one of the baby bells. PC's are in his blood.

I'll fiddle with something for literally hours, sometimes days. When I can't get it after googling the shit out of it, reading forums and watching vids, I'll invite him over, and he usually has the crap untangled in 20 min. It makes me nearly weep for all my time lost. I try to observe what he is doing, but I need to face facts, I just can't absorb a life time of tricks.

It's a great feeling when you solve these problems on your own, but it is also nice to have a local resource that you can turn to when these problems are above your pay-grade. Hoping you have no more problems happen anytime soon. . . ;)

(But yeah, tech support is nearly worth less. You feel like you are going to F stuff up even worse when you are listening to their instructions because something might be mis-communicated.)

If I were using a wireless keyboard...

... I'd check the batteries...

...if not, I'd check the USB or PS2 connection.

I found it an interesting read.

Not everyone is proficient with PC's.

When you are not, the most frustatiing thing of all, is the staggering amount of time wasted getting them to work properly. It is amazing how quickely an expert gets them up and working properly.

You seem like an intelligent individual that can solve your PC problems, but since you are not an expert, what might take you four or five hours, or maybe even a few days to figure out, an expert can have taken care of in ten minutes. THAT is what is postively aggravating.

I grew up with computers, though I am not an expert myself. My father worked for ATT before ma bell broke up and then for one of the baby bells. PC's are in his blood.

I'll fiddle with something for literally hours, sometimes days. When I can't get it after googling the shit out of it, reading forums and watching vids, I'll invite him over, and he usually has the crap untangled in 20 min. It makes me nearly weep for all my time lost. I try to observe what he is doing, but I need to face facts, I just can't absorb a life time of tricks.

It's a great feeling when you solve these problems on your own, but it is also nice to have a local resource that you can turn to when these problems are above your pay-grade. Hoping you have no more problems happen anytime soon. . . ;)

(But yeah, tech support is nearly worth less. You feel like you are going to F stuff up even worse when you are listening to their instructions because something might be mis-communicated.)

What's most frustrating is that I have no idea what caused the keyboard to stop in the first place! :bang3:

And now that I can use it again, I've got that damned little icon in my taskbar at the bottom for the on screen keyboard. I'm afraid to delete it.

(To make matters worse, I really don't like this keyboard that came with the PC, I had a Logitech keyboard that is really got for me and my style of typing and I don't want to try to see if it will work with this.)

I bought my first PC in '82 - an Apple Clone. Heck, at one time, I even taught myself how to punch data into keypunch cards. Just never got good at the tech side of it.

Forum List

Back