Tossed Between Marines and Army

Something else to keep in mind and think about is before you enlist, everyone at the recruiting office likes you a lot. So's your government. You're a potential asset. Once you enlist, you've liked even better. You ARE an asset. They'll bend over backwards for you. But if you get injured and can't do your job any more you're forgotten about. A liability and an expense. They'll screw you with your pants on if it saves them a buck. Long waits to get VA care, former military but now civilian your service wont mean shit to anyone except you. That again is the reality. That something you're going to be ok with, go ahead and join. But to most people serving a country that doesn't care about you once you're not an effective weapon any more is akin to the NFL not caring about concussive injuries and injured players who can't play any more making their owners money.

Life's sweet in the military while you're actually in the military. Once you're out it basicly sucks. Hate dating myself remembering bad movie dialogue, but as said in "Rambo," "I was in charge of multi-million dollar equipment. Now I can't even get a job parking cars!"
In my city you see vets all the time, reminiscing on the days. Its not about what others think of you, its what you do for yourself.

If you wanna do things for yourself, go to college. Military isn't about yourself or your best interests. It's about keeping rich people rich and in power.
Didn't say I was doing for myself, I'm saying I'm not seeking appreciation from other people. What I am seeking is a challenge.

I'm not asking on info on what the military does, I have learned alot about that already. Im asking for help on deciding my branch.

Something else to keep in mind and think about is before you enlist, everyone at the recruiting office likes you a lot. So's your government. You're a potential asset. Once you enlist, you've liked even better. You ARE an asset. They'll bend over backwards for you. But if you get injured and can't do your job any more you're forgotten about. A liability and an expense. They'll screw you with your pants on if it saves them a buck. Long waits to get VA care, former military but now civilian your service wont mean shit to anyone except you. That again is the reality. That something you're going to be ok with, go ahead and join. But to most people serving a country that doesn't care about you once you're not an effective weapon any more is akin to the NFL not caring about concussive injuries and injured players who can't play any more making their owners money.

Life's sweet in the military while you're actually in the military. Once you're out it basicly sucks. Hate dating myself remembering bad movie dialogue, but as said in "Rambo," "I was in charge of multi-million dollar equipment. Now I can't even get a job parking cars!"
In my city you see vets all the time, reminiscing on the days. Its not about what others think of you, its what you do for yourself.

If you wanna do things for yourself, go to college. Military isn't about yourself or your best interests. It's about keeping rich people rich and in power.
Didn't say I was doing for myself, I'm saying I'm not seeking appreciation from other people. What I am seeking is a challenge.
Marines

Marines
Right on

Hello everyone,

I am here to discuss the fact that I am stuck between enlisting to either the Marine Corps, or the Army. Below I will list the things that I have learned and what I have been interested in both, I just need some opinions to really help me co e to an ultimate decision. Keep in note that I am also just 16 years old but, "If you fail to prepare, you are preparing to fail." The reason I am tossed between these two branches is because my brother is in the Army, a 68W stationed in Ft. Carson, Colorado, and has been trying to influence me to become a Soldier.

Now I know that him trying to influence me is biased due to the fact that he is in that branch, but he was also a Poolee in the USMC, but backed out and joined the Army instead. That decision actually pissed me off, you should never back down after signing to a branch. He blamed his resignation from the Corps due to the fact that your life is completely controlled and nothing can transition to the civilian life after you are finished with your service.

This is when I told him, it's not completely about what you do after your service, the difference is how you serve. Would you rather want to be called a Marine or a Soldier? The two terms mean different things indefinately, and have different connotations between different people. I also know that the Army promotion rates are higher, and the Marines expect more out of the recruits, but again you can do anything you put your mind to with proper preparation and dedication to doing what you want to do.

What I currently do is I workout by myself on Mondays, Thursdays, and Fridays, while cooperating in PT at my local USMC Recruiting Office with the Poolees. I have talked to all of them on their decision, and talked to my recruiter about it. I also have kept contact with the Army recruiter located in my city too. I want to make the most educated decision that I can, the one that will make me happiest.

Now I know that the Marine Corps runs on the Fiscal Year Cycle, where more jobs open up in October, as one of the Poolees had told me. He signed in February so he didn't get his first option, but thats another story. The preferred field that I would want is Infantry. Being in that field would best suit me and thats why I would really prefer to get that, however I do know that the Corps will put you wherever they need you, and that kind of does worry me, but I would still serve my country no matter where I am placed.

As for the Army, if this was the route that I were to choose, I would choose my MOS to be 11B or 11X, although if I went this route, my brother would prefer me to go Ranger as that is what he is striving for. I know he shouldn't influence my decision, as it should solely be based on me and he will be proud with me no matter where I go, but again I want to ensure that I get choose the best Branch that suits me. I have read a ton of articles and discussions like this but I decided that if I posted one myself, I would feel so much better about what I have chosen. I am also not worried about my ASVAB score, as I took one last year and received a score of 91.

If there are any questions you have for me to answer, I will be monitoring this thread often to check on it and help my decision. Thank you for your time/cooperation and I really appreciate it.
Go Navy.

Hello everyone,

I am here to discuss the fact that I am stuck between enlisting to either the Marine Corps, or the Army. Below I will list the things that I have learned and what I have been interested in both, I just need some opinions to really help me co e to an ultimate decision. Keep in note that I am also just 16 years old but, "If you fail to prepare, you are preparing to fail." The reason I am tossed between these two branches is because my brother is in the Army, a 68W stationed in Ft. Carson, Colorado, and has been trying to influence me to become a Soldier.

Now I know that him trying to influence me is biased due to the fact that he is in that branch, but he was also a Poolee in the USMC, but backed out and joined the Army instead. That decision actually pissed me off, you should never back down after signing to a branch. He blamed his resignation from the Corps due to the fact that your life is completely controlled and nothing can transition to the civilian life after you are finished with your service.

This is when I told him, it's not completely about what you do after your service, the difference is how you serve. Would you rather want to be called a Marine or a Soldier? The two terms mean different things indefinately, and have different connotations between different people. I also know that the Army promotion rates are higher, and the Marines expect more out of the recruits, but again you can do anything you put your mind to with proper preparation and dedication to doing what you want to do.

What I currently do is I workout by myself on Mondays, Thursdays, and Fridays, while cooperating in PT at my local USMC Recruiting Office with the Poolees. I have talked to all of them on their decision, and talked to my recruiter about it. I also have kept contact with the Army recruiter located in my city too. I want to make the most educated decision that I can, the one that will make me happiest.

Now I know that the Marine Corps runs on the Fiscal Year Cycle, where more jobs open up in October, as one of the Poolees had told me. He signed in February so he didn't get his first option, but thats another story. The preferred field that I would want is Infantry. Being in that field would best suit me and thats why I would really prefer to get that, however I do know that the Corps will put you wherever they need you, and that kind of does worry me, but I would still serve my country no matter where I am placed.

As for the Army, if this was the route that I were to choose, I would choose my MOS to be 11B or 11X, although if I went this route, my brother would prefer me to go Ranger as that is what he is striving for. I know he shouldn't influence my decision, as it should solely be based on me and he will be proud with me no matter where I go, but again I want to ensure that I get choose the best Branch that suits me. I have read a ton of articles and discussions like this but I decided that if I posted one myself, I would feel so much better about what I have chosen. I am also not worried about my ASVAB score, as I took one last year and received a score of 91.

If there are any questions you have for me to answer, I will be monitoring this thread often to check on it and help my decision. Thank you for your time/cooperation and I really appreciate it.
Go with the Navy much better schools and jobs,and you generally don't sleep in a ditch.

Hello everyone,

Go with the Navy much better schools and jobs,and you generally don't sleep in a ditch.
He wants a challenge. I was in the Army and worked with people from all the branches. The branch I saw as most challenging was the Marines.

Hello everyone,

He wants a challenge. I was in the Army and worked with people from all the branches. The branch I saw as most challenging was the Marines.
Its not all about the fact who has the best housing and etc. Its about the challenge and sense of accomplishment that you can get and knowing you served to the best of your ability. There is plenty of time to sleep when you die.

In the Marines, you have to be ghey with the Navy. The Army, you just get to be ghey with yourself....The Air Force, it's all ghey women now, so stay away from there if you be a ghey man...The Coast Guard, we are not allowed to post what they do...

US Coast Guard saves people's lives. US Armed Forces take people's lives.
Unless they are building bridges in 3rd world countries,or water treatment plants,or schools,or hospitals or......

Then join up with the USMC. Train hard until about a month before boot camp then let your body rest. Injuries are the last thing you want in boot camp or MCT or SOI, whichever way you go. Treat everyday in boot camp as an opportunity to toughen yourself. Try to get promoted right away without being a suck up - that won't work. Try to be a squad leader or guide. Stick up for the other recruits and stand up to the DI's. They'll make you pay for it, trust me, but they'll respect you for it, too.

When you get to your permanent duty station look into programs that get you into college while enlisted and then Officer Candidate Training. Become an officer - the pay and opportunities are better and you will be challenged everyday as a leader of Marines.

]
^^^^^^^Has never been on a destroyer in a middle of a hurricane.

]
Dont get butthurt. Whats challenging about being on a destroyer in the middle of a hurricane and how often does that happen?
whose butt hurt? I used to love to watch the jar heads puking thier guts up as soon as the ship got underway.

]
Dont get butthurt. Whats challenging about being on a destroyer in the middle of a hurricane and how often does that happen?
whose butt hurt? I used to love to watch the jar heads puking thier guts up as soon as the ship got underway.
You claimed I never had been on a destroyer. Of course you are butthurt. You never answered what was so challenging?

]

It wasn't sea sickness.

After having gotten used to the nasty chow served on Marine bases and then going to sea eating the Navy chow on ship, the body rejects the more edible food at first. It's like when the concentration camp prisoners freed near the end of WWII ate real food and were sickened by it. Same kinda thing.

If you want a challenge..why not Navy Seals?
It all boils down to what you like the most. Land or sea.

What are the Army and Marines doing right now that makes you wanna' join anyway.

If you say "Fighting for our Freedoms" then you'd just be wrong.

This is a decision you must make for yourself......................It's not something we can make for you................

Make sure this is what you really want..............................If you are unsure at all go the 2 year option with Reserve options afterwards....................If once you are in, this is what you want then just re-enlist or decide otherwise....................

I was in the Navy.................so my preference is...................

In the Marines, you have to be ghey with the Navy. The Army, you just get to be ghey with yourself....The Air Force, it's all ghey women now, so stay away from there if you be a ghey man...The Coast Guard, we are not allowed to post what they do...

US Coast Guard saves people's lives. US Armed Forces take people's lives.
Unless they are building bridges in 3rd world countries,or water treatment plants,or schools,or hospitals or......
Liberals man. If this world were a perfect place we wouldnt need the Military but let me inform you on something. IT IS NOT.

Forum List

Back