Top toy story as cardboard box makes it to hall of fame

Lefty Wilbury

Nov 4, 2003
i don't know about anyone else but i have been told that as a kid i played with the boxes more then the toys at Christmas time. anyone else or their kids like that?

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americas/article326824.ece

Top toy story as cardboard box makes it to hall of fame
By Ben Dobbin in Rochester, New York
Published: 13 November 2005
Forget the fancy toy - the box it comes in can be much more fun.

The cardboard box - whether the imagination turns it into a spaceship, a castle, or just a haven to daydream in - was enshrined on Friday in America's National Toy Hall of Fame along with Jack-in-the-Box and Candy Land. No kidding, grown-ups.

"I think every adult has had that disillusioning experience of picking what they think is a wonderful toy for a child, and then finding the kid playing with the box," said Christopher Bensch, chief curator of the Strong Museum. "It's that empty box full of possibilities that the kids can sense."

Low-tech and unpretentious it may be, but the cardboard box has fostered learning and creativity for multiple generations - a key qualifier for inclusion in the museum's seven-year-old hall of fame. "Packaging is something that's accessible to kids, whether that's cans or tins or wooden crates," Bensch said. The cardboard box "makes a point that you don't have to spend a lot, have a certain income level or charge it on your credit card to have your kids have a great play experience."

The museum boasts the world's largest collection of toys and dolls

Forum List

Back