If Barry Bonds isn't a Hall of Famer by the end of the day, it's a failure by the Hall of Fame

At the entrance to the National Baseball Hall of Fame's plaque gallery, a sign hangs to help guide museumgoers through what they're about to see. The first paragraph talks about how players are in the Hall for "their accomplishments in the game." The next paragraph says other areas of the museum "address the totality of their careers." The final paragraph ties it all together: "The National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum's mission is to Preserve History, which is what we seek to do throughout the Museum."

If indeed that is the Hall's mission, today is nothing less than an abject failure. Barry Bonds, arguably the greatest hitter in baseball history, inarguably worthy of induction, did not reach the 75% threshold in his final year on the writers' ballot. For the past nine years, at least one-third of the baseball writers who adjudicate such matters have found Bonds' use of performance-enhancing drugs to be disqualifying, and the revelation of Tuesday's vote is not expected to render any different judgment. He's not the only one, but Bonds' rejection, in particular, epitomizes how all these decades later, baseball is still bungling the PED issue, valuing a lazy, ahistorical moral referendum over the preservation of history.

They gave us everything we wanted. It was magical and we watched it. We didn't just watch it, we lived it with them. I will never forget the summer of McGuire and Sosa. The drugs don't work without the work. It's a travesty.
They cheated. Bonds, McGuire and Sosa! They used steroids and human growth hormone to break the records of players who didn't cheat. None of them should be in the Hall because nobody should be in the Hall who cheated. None of them!

Hundreds of thousands of middle aged men are prescribed "roids". Why is it OK for those middle age men to be on "roids", getting injections every week, simply so they can get their pecker up, and yet it is absolutely banned that professional athletes, whose very livelihood demands on their performance, are precluded from using them? I mean yes, there are dangers, there are side effects, but WTF--let anyone and everyone use them if that is what they choose. I believe there is a word for that. Oh yeah, FREEDOM, that is the word.

And I notice, not a peep about banning professional wrestling.
With all due respect, Winston? Steroid use by young athletes is incredibly dangerous. It's something that nobody should be doing but when you're young you think you're bulletproof and will live forever. We have high school kids taking steroids to gain an advantage over other high school kids which in turn puts pressure on the "clean" kids to keep up! That's wrong. That isn't "freedom"...that's abuse!

They cheated. Bonds, McGuire and Sosa! They used steroids and human growth hormone to break the records of players who didn't cheat. None of them should be in the Hall because nobody should be in the Hall who cheated. None of them!

There's the "slippery slope" theory that comes into play! How many shady characters are already in the HOF; some known "killers" and "racists?" No one wants to open that can of worms! You might lose half the inductees! It never was meant to be the "Hall of Character and Morals!" It's just a reason to elevate some players over others by noting how charitable or outspoken! SO?? :itsok: :stir::dunno::oops::bigbed:

The op is totally wrong,other way around.the hall would be a failure if they inducted him or those other three in,they are currently the hall of shame fir leaving rose out,this would further cement thst title.Bonds,sosa McGuire and Clemons git nothing on shady brady and belicheat though on cheating and tainting a great sport,,when they get inducted,the NFL hall of fame will then become the nfl hall of shame as well right Fiero425

Last edited:
There's the "slippery slope" theory that comes into play! How many shady characters are already in the HOF; some known "killers" and "racists?" No one wants to open that can of worms! You might lose half the inductees! It never was meant to be the "Hall of Character and Morals!" It's just a reason to elevate some players over others by noting how charitable or outspoken! SO?? :itsok: :stir::dunno::oops::bigbed:
:thankusmile: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

The op is totally wrong,other way around.the hall would be a failure if the inducted him or those other three in,they are currently the hall of shame fir leaving rose out,this would further cement thst title.Bonds,soss,McGuire and Clemons git nothing on shady brady and belicheat though on cheating,when the get inducted,the NFL hall of fame will then become the nfl hall of shame as well right Fiero425

Whatever will I do.....someone disagrees with me.

The op is totally wrong,other way around.the hall would be a failure if they inducted him or those other three in,they are currently the hall of shame fir leaving rose out,this would further cement thst title.Bonds,sosa McGuire and Clemons git nothing on shady brady and belicheat though on cheating and tainting a great sport,,when they get inducted,the NFL hall of fame will then become the nfl hall of shame as well right Fiero425
Shady Brady? That's just plain stupid. Tom Brady is the best quarterback ever to play the game. It's not even in question at this point! Accusing him of "cheating" is laughable. Bill Belichick is the greatest coach to ever coach in the NFL. That's not in question either at this point! In a league deliberately set up to create parity what Belichick has done with the New England Patriots over the past two decades is remarkable and that success was not based on "cheating"!

I've got zero problem with taking anyone you want OUT of the Hall of Fame if it's shown that they were despicable individuals! It doesn't change my view that Clemens, Bonds, McGuire and Sosa should never get into the Hall because of the very real damage they've done to the game because of the way they all cheated with PED's!

I've got zero problem with taking anyone you want OUT of the Hall of Fame if it's shown that they were despicable individuals! It doesn't change my view that Clemens, Bonds, McGuire and Sosa should never get into the Hall because of the very real damage they've done to the game because of the way they all cheated with PED's!

IF?? That's a joke right? There were and probably still are plenty of abusers we just never hear about as the CBA probably keeps stuff under wraps! We only hear about it until they actually have to suspend a player; which still happens! People make it seem like it all began and ended with Bonds and McGuire! :dunno: :itsok:

IF?? That's a joke right? There were and probably still are plenty of abusers we just never hear about as the CBA probably keeps stuff under wraps! We only hear about it until they actually have to suspend a player; which still happens! People make it seem like it all began and ended with Bonds and McGuire! :dunno: :itsok:
You're trying to excuse one person's bad behavior because someone else might have been bad as well! That doesn't fly with me. All of those players KNEW that they were breaking the rules...all of them KNEW they were gaining an unfair advantage over players who didn't use PED's! They made their millions. They got their endorsement deals. They were adored by the fans. Then the truth came out. You reap what you sow...

You're trying to excuse one person's bad behavior because someone else might have been bad as well! That doesn't fly with me. All of those players KNEW that they were breaking the rules...all of them KNEW they were gaining an unfair advantage over players who didn't use PED's! They made their millions. They got their endorsement deals. They were adored by the fans. Then the truth came out. You reap what you sow...

I'm no fan of Bonds even though I lived out in SF during his "hey day!" Even though a true jerk, Bonds was still "must see TV!" ESPN was breaking in on their telecast for every batting opportunity! So often gutless turds walked the man intentionally! Mike Scioscia actually had his pitcher do it at the World Series in '02 in the 1st Inning! Condemnation of this trivial $#!t while someone like Trump was undermining the democratic fabric of the country is a fk'n joke IMO! Down the line, more rational thinking people will be in a position to add these players because they accomplished a lot before they started taking PED's and that's a fact! :p :cool:

I'm no fan of Bonds even though I lived out in SF during his "hey day!" Even though a true jerk, Bonds was still "must see TV!" ESPN was breaking in on their telecast for every batting opportunity! So often gutless turds walked the man intentionally! Mike Scioscia actually had his pitcher do it at the World Series in '02 in the 1st Inning! Condemnation of this trivial $#!t while someone like Trump was undermining the democratic fabric of the country is a fk'n joke IMO! Down the line, more rational thinking people will be in a position to add these players because they accomplished a lot before they started taking PED's and that's a fact! :p :cool:
You fucking TDS morons could bring Trump into a thread about blue M & Ms

You've chosen to ignore the very real damage that's been done to an entire generation of young people who were led to believe that shooting themselves up with PED's was what they HAD to do in order to compete at a high level. They did it because their idols did it. It was the dirty little secret that people whispered about in locker rooms. People like Bonds helped to glamorize PED's. What's sad about him is that BEFORE he started cheating...he was a shoo in first ballot Hall of Famer! He threw it all away however because he was jealous of the attention that McGuire and Sosa were getting in their home run race. His vanity has led him to where he is now.

You've chosen to ignore the very real damage that's been done to an entire generation of young people who were led to believe that shooting themselves up with PED's was what they HAD to do in order to compete at a high level. They did it because their idols did it. It was the dirty little secret that people whispered about in locker rooms. People like Bonds helped to glamorize PED's. What's sad about him is that BEFORE he started cheating...he was a shoo in first ballot Hall of Famer! He threw it all away however because he was jealous of the attention that McGuire and Sosa were getting in their home run race. His vanity has led him to where he is now.

Oh pls! You're obviously skipping the nasty early days of baseball when Blacks couldn't play! Spare me the pity party for guys who weren't able to play because of Bonds, Clemons, and McGuire! You really don't want to open up that can of warms either! There's a generation of players you're talking about; I'm talking about a whole fk'n race couldn't play with lilly-white players because they didn't want to! It was no secret and talked about their own bigotry openly! FU and the horse you rode in on! :itsok: :dunno::stir::omg::mad:

Oh pls! You're obviously skipping the nasty early days of baseball when Blacks couldn't play! Spare me the pity party for guys who weren't able to play because of Bonds, Clemons, and McGuire! You really don't want to open up that can of warms either! There's a generation of players you're talking about; I'm talking about a whole fk'n race couldn't play with lilly-white players because they didn't want to! It was no secret and talked about their own bigotry openly! FU and the horse you rode in on! :itsok: :dunno::stir::omg::mad:
Were you born this stupid or did you study. This is a thread about PEDS, modern day cheaters and the HOF, NOT racist injustice, NOT Trump, and Not whether Barney was purple or even a dinosaur. Get on topic or STFU.

Were you born this stupid or did you study? This is a thread about PEDS, modern day cheaters and the HOF, NOT racist injustice, NOT Trump, and Not whether Barney was purple or even a dinosaur. Get on topic or STFU.

Sorry your feeble brain only runs on one track! Unfortunately for you, most of us have switching systems and other tracks to ride on! Try to keep up but I don't see much hope with your reflexive responses! :itsok:

Last edited:
Sorry your feeble brain only runs on one track! Unfortunately for you, most of us have switching systems and other tracks to ride on! Try to keep up but I don't seem much hope with your reflexive responses! :itsok:
Read the rules of the board, moron. If you want to discuss the last POTUS, Racial Injustice in the Negro Leagues or anything else--MAKE A THREAD ON IT. Don't try to derail someone else's thread because you have NOTHING of any use to offer. That is the sign of a true moron. If you can't understand simple rules, it is very clear where the feeble mind is.

Whatever will I do.....someone disagrees with me.
A Barry Bonds apologist.No surprise the fact there are so many cheatriot apologists out there as well who make excuse after excuse how they have disgraced the sport and tainted the league.theres them Barry Bonds apologists out there as well.

Forum List

Back