Top Republicans Call for GM to Declare Bankruptcy

American car makers won't be able to compete until we have a single payer healthcare system.

IS GENERAL MOTORS an automobile manufacturer that provides healthcare benefits for its workers? Or is it a health insurance provider that also happens to make cars?

The question is facetious, but there's nothing funny about GM's predicament. At the company's annual meeting in Detroit last week, CEO Rick Wagoner told shareholders that health benefits add a staggering $1,500 to the price of every vehicle GM makes. GM will spend more than $5.6 billion this year on health coverage for 1.1 million people -- a population greater than Rhode Island's. Yet of that number, only 160,000 or so are current employees: The majority are retirees and their families. And with GM planning to shed 25,000 jobs through attrition over the next three years, its already lopsided ratio of 2.6 retirees per active employee is only going to get worse.

GM's healthcare dilemma - The Boston Globe

A cost-cutting deal between General Motors of Canada and the Canadian Auto Workers doesn't go nearly far enough, industry observers say.

Union president Ken Lewenza said the accord preserves Canada's "investment advantage" over U.S. factories of the Detroit Three automakers and will be the pattern for imminent talks with Chrysler and Ford.

Dennis DesRosiers, an independent industry analyst, said General Motors is still avoiding tough decisions, as it has for decades: "It's a wet noodle of an agreement."

GM workers would also for the first time make payments toward their own health benefits -- $30 a month per worker family
ain't that pitiful? :lol:

GM-CAW deal to cut benefits isn't nearly enough: analysts

$30 per worker for their entire family? You know, I support the idea of buying American, and I'd like to see American jobs protected. But $30 fucking dollars when everyone else pays so much more? And to top it off, these people make $25 to $30 per hour just because they build cars?

I run my own business. When business is down, I take a pay cut. These people think they are owed these salaries and benefits. And now they're going to cry because they really need to take a pay cut for the benefit of keeping their jobs?

I know one thing; if GM and the other two don't figure this out on their own, I'll have no trouble buying a damn foreign car for my next vehicle. These companies better figure out where they can cut costs across the board, from upper management to the union workers, and they better do it quick, or there won't be anymore American owned car companies. Taxpayers aren't going to bail their asses out over and over again.

I pay $600 per month for my health insurance, for myself and my kids, and I have $1000 deductibles on each of us, then I pay 20% up to an out of pocket expense of $2000 per person. I realize things are tough for everyone, but these workers don't want to budge. They think since they have a contract, they have a right to their paycheck. Well, when the company isn't selling any cars, guess what?

$900.00 here!

The Auto Industry needs to get rid of the Union and take care of business and its workers.
Seems to me one of their problems is the Union taking to much of their money.

I hope that we also force the UAW out of GM if we are going to help them again.

I love this country but i am sick of what unions are doing to it.

And the unions created this economic meltdown? I am sick of rewarding blithering incompetants millions of dollars annually for destroying companies. And then blaming the fellow on the factory floor.

And the unions created this economic meltdown? I am sick of rewarding blithering incompetants millions of dollars annually for destroying companies. And then blaming the fellow on the factory floor.

No it was the democrats and republicans that created the meltdown. GM is collateral damage from the meltdown.

Here's a picture of Obama and the former CEO of GM (click to enlarge):

$88%20How%20to%20Tell%20if%20Your%20Parents%20Hate%20You.jpg

No it was the democrats and republicans that created the meltdown. GM is collateral damage from the meltdown.

GM has been losing $$$$ for many years now.

It needs to either merge, or go bankrupt.

Sending billions more to a broken business model is pure folly.

I don't care for the multi-billions bailout of Wall Street, but at least those entities have a recent history of making a profit. GM has been broken for some time.

Of the Big 3, only Ford seems to have a chance of emerging from this somewhat intact.

And so be it.

General Motors should hand over the factory keys to a bankruptcy court, two top Republicans said Sunday.

Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., said the best thing for the ailing automaker to do would be to go into Chapter 11 to reorganize some of its business agreements and come out stronger than before.

"I think the best thing that could probably happen to General Motors, in my view, is they go into Chapter 11, they reorganize, they renegotiate ... the union-management contracts and come out of it a stronger, better, leaner, more competitive automotive industry," McCain told "FOX News Sunday."

House Republican leader John Boehner said the nation's largest auto company must demonstrate a viable and long-term business plan if it wants more federal money.

Top Republicans Call for GM to Declare Bankruptcy - Presidential Politics | Political News - FOXNews.com

finally! :clap2:
Ah, here it is...Republicans tell business what to do = Good. Democrat tells business what to do = Bad.

You're a hoot, Willow.

If the UAW was removed then what would be the ramifications for the workers at GM?
Not sure...at this point Toyota and Honda have pretty much the same pay scale as the American companies. So it would either have no affect or it would affect both groups.

General Motors should hand over the factory keys to a bankruptcy court, two top Republicans said Sunday.

Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., said the best thing for the ailing automaker to do would be to go into Chapter 11 to reorganize some of its business agreements and come out stronger than before.

"I think the best thing that could probably happen to General Motors, in my view, is they go into Chapter 11, they reorganize, they renegotiate ... the union-management contracts and come out of it a stronger, better, leaner, more competitive automotive industry," McCain told "FOX News Sunday."

House Republican leader John Boehner said the nation's largest auto company must demonstrate a viable and long-term business plan if it wants more federal money.

Top Republicans Call for GM to Declare Bankruptcy - Presidential Politics | Political News - FOXNews.com

finally! :clap2:
Ah, here it is...Republicans tell business what to do = Good. Democrat tells business what to do = Bad.

You're a hoot, Willow.
except that is GOOD ADVICE

and you are too much of a fucking moron to understand it
Obama telling the CEO to resign is beyond his constitutional authority
something else you are too moronic to understand

If the UAW was removed then what would be the ramifications for the workers at GM?
Not sure...at this point Toyota and Honda have pretty much the same pay scale as the American companies. So it would either have no affect or it would affect both groups.

Thanks Ravi - so the competitive advantage, which is essential in a market-based economy, may not rest on the skills of the workforce (prima facie I mean) or the dollars per hour paid to the workers on the factory floor, but it might be with the design of the product, its attraction to consumers?

Thanks Ravi - so the competitive advantage, which is essential in a market-based economy, may not rest on the skills of the workforce (prima facie I mean) or the dollars per hour paid to the workers on the factory floor, but it might be with the design of the product, its attraction to consumers?
That would be my guess.

Go in with a scalpel, iodine, and thread, and pull UAW out of GM, Chrysler, and Ford, and install a backbone, like American companies USED to have. Back when our American companies had pride in the products they produced, you know, back before Unions corrupted American productivity?

Back before unions made the American auto worker lax, uncaring, and interested only in their benefits, getting more and more cash, and their "rights" as an employee...

Lets remove unions from the American workforce and allow the country to start producing quality items from quality companies without the intervention OR criminal activities of union leaders. You know, the ones that have their hands of the pockets of every politician they can buy off that will vote in unions best interest.

Chuck could have stayed on board with GM. No one fired him. Just pretty much said "if GM wants the money, you have to go." Obama today also suggested bankruptcy for GM. If they show promise, they will get more help. If not.....

Chuck could have stayed on board with GM. No one fired him. Just pretty much said "if GM wants the money, you have to go." Obama today also suggested bankruptcy for GM. If they show promise, they will get more help. If not.....

"resign or get the money"= "either your brains or your signature will be on the contract".

What choices Obama gave him.

From what I heard, it cost around 70.00 dollars an hr. for wage, and benefits with the big 3. It costs about 44.00 an hr. for wage, and benefits with Toyota. I hope that helps.

Forum List

Back