Top Republicans Call for GM to Declare Bankruptcy

Republicans need to shut up, they had their chance and failed. Losers telling others what to do is a bit much. If we can bail out financial industries that rob and steal and send money to foreign places, we can surely bailout an American institution that many Americans rely on for their livelihood. And please change 'top' to loser. thanks

7 myths about Detroit automakers | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press

tough shit buddy, that's not the way it works here! Yet! Betcha didn't say shit like that when the dems were the minority.. hypocrite!

Government should not be in the business of bailing anybody out. If a company can't survive on it's own then it needs to file for bankruptcy or go out of business.

Bankruptcy needn't mean the end of GM. If GM can use the bankruptcy court to renegotiate its debt and union contracts and obligations, it can emerge as a leaner, stronger, more competitive company. The suggestion that people will stop buying GM cars while it is in bankruptcy can be handled by the government offering to guarantee warranties and the availability of spare parts and expressing confidence that restructuring in bankruptcy court is a good thing for the industry. On the other hand, a credible threat of going into bankruptcy might be sufficient to get reluctant unions and creditors to allow this restructuring without going to court.

It is disappointing, however, that Obama has put Axelrod and Emanuel, two political advisors with no business background, in charge of the auto industry rescue issue.

It's not telling them what to do in terms of force.. rather that this is what SHOULD be done or should have been done instead of forking over taxpayer dollars...

Bankruptcy and restructuring and redoing the INANE labor contracts they have would be ESSENTIAL in the recover of the 'auto giant'... it is probably the best way for them to take a breath, start over, and restructure to compete better in the modern auto market... it certainly would NOT be the end of GM

I think it should be the same for the banks... some must "fail" or be consolidated into larger institutions.. some should merge and play off the strengths of each other, reduce workforce size, and re-budget to come out of the mess...

Many conservatives have been screaming this all along as well

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

I agree with all of you. Well said. Bankruptcy is something that should have been done from the get go, imo.

Government should not be in the business of bailing anybody out. If a company can't survive on it's own then it needs to file for bankruptcy or go out of business.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: This is exactly the way it should be.

Why does the GOP want the government to pick up the tab when GM goes bankrupt and renigs on all those pensions?

Sounds like another circumstance where the GOP wants to help the Corporations break the unions and fuck the workers.

This story proves the GOP is all about lowering our wages, helping corporations renig on promises, hurting the middle class, AND, have the government pick up the tab.

I bet the GOP helped Enron do what they did.

Why not? They seem to be encouraging GM to do the same thing, basically.

GM and Ford were profitable in 1999. Bush got in the white house and the GOP had control of Congress and look what happened.

that don't scare nobody,, most people have already lost their pensions and your boy wonder is rolling back stem cell research :lol::lol:

You are in the minority now. You are part of a subculture now. Now, you are just a whiner who's got a bunch of conspiracy theories.

And I love stem cell being funded by you and me. I LOVE IT!!!

poor old bobo,, he loves it that we are going to fund the destruction of life.. well, why am I not surprised?

I'm still holding out for the millinery/haberdashery bailout.

Give them a few billion every month and they can make a comeback too.

that don't scare nobody,, most people have already lost their pensions and your boy wonder is rolling back stem cell research :lol::lol:

You are in the minority now. You are part of a subculture now. Now, you are just a whiner who's got a bunch of conspiracy theories.

poor old bobo,, he loves it that we are going to fund the destruction of life.. well, why am I not surprised?

Instead of throwing them away? You betcha!

PS. Start caring about living human beings from the age 1-100 and then maybe we'll start listening to ppl like you. K? :eusa_angel:

PS. Start caring about living human beings from the age 1-100 and then maybe we'll start listening to ppl like you. K? :eusa_angel:

prove that I don't

prove that I don't

1. You're a Republican.

2. Republicans don't care about poor people who are hungry. Because 5% might be abusing welfare, you cut off the other 95% who needed it. Sad.

3. Are you pro Death Penalty?

4. I remember you didn't care about Iraqi or Afgan death.

5. You defend/vote for torture.

6. You protect a seed and prevent cancer and aids cures because of seeds that can't feel pain like the cancer or aids patients do.

7. You defend war for $ when thousands of US Soldiers had to die for that oil/money. What do you call them? Collateral Damage?

To you, those soldiers are just the Rabble. Pawns. No biggy.

But you care about stem cells? Get over it lady. :cuckoo:

The problem with the business model of the auto makers is...vehicles last longer than they used to.

When I bought my 1st car 20 years ago, no one expect a car to last. Very few consumers would buy a used vehicle with more than 50,000 miles on it because in those days you were lucky to get 100,000 miles out of one. Today 150,000 miles and up is commonplace. My F-150 has 200,000 miles and I expect to get another 50K out of it if I'm careful.

Also, many vehicle designs haven't change remarkably in the last 10+ years. In my teens I could name most vehicles on the road by make and model on the darkest night by the shape, spacing and configuration of their headlights or tail lights. Today I can hardly tell one from another at high noon.

So why would anyone buy a new car or truck when there old one is still in style and going strong?

Feel the need to blame something for the downfall of the auto industry? How about CAFE fuel mileage standards, environmentalist and oil prices (there are only so many designs for an econobox), Japanese competition that shook up the market by making longer lasting vehicles, high steel prices, big corporation bureaucracy, short sighted management and soaring labor costs.

Last edited:
My Ford Bronco XLT has 290K miles and it still purrs.

The problem with the business model of the auto makers is...vehicles last longer than they used to.

When I bought my 1st car 20 years ago, no one expect a car to last. Very few consumers would buy a used vehicle with more than 50,000 miles on it because in those days you were lucky to get 100,000 miles out of one. Today 150,000 miles and up is commonplace. My F-150 has 200,000 miles and I expect to get another 50K out of it if I'm careful.

Also, many vehicle designs haven't change remarkably in the last 10+ years. In my teens I could name vehicle models on the darkest night by the shape, spacing and configuration of their headlights or tail lights. Today I can hardly tell one from another at high noon.

So why would anyone buy a new car or truck when there old one is still in style and going strong?

Feel the need to blame something for the downfall of the auto industry? How about CAFE fuel mileage standards, environmentalist and oil prices (there are only so many designs for an econobox), Japanese competition that shook up the market by making longer lasting vehicles, high steel prices, big corporation bureaucracy, short sighted management and soaring labor costs.

The Corporations did this on purpose, don't you think? Remember, older cars could be fixed and worked on and could last 20 years. My grandma had a Granada. LOL

Back when the cars were made of steele, you could work on them yourself. Today, they are computerized.

Chris Rock said it best. They can send a man to the moon but can't make a bumper for a cadillac that won't rust?

So they want it to break down, so you buy another car.

They even made leases so you could buy a new car every 3 years, nothing down. This plan can not last forever, because we don't have infinate natural resources.

The Big 3 need to make cars that last longer. I believe they are doing it.

But at the same time, they want to break the unions. That's what all this is all about. That and bleeding the treasury dry. The bankers got $750 bill and the Big 3 got $10 bill and they will STILL go bankrupt and renig on pensions? They promised!!!!

that's what Hoover said, too.

If only he had followed through maybe the Great Depression wouldn't have lasted as long.

I find it amazing that, against all reason, anyone can convince himself of that.

I have no doubt you believe that. I just think it's entirely misguided and against all rational interpretation of the evidence.

that's what Hoover said, too.

If only he had followed through maybe the Great Depression wouldn't have lasted as long.

I find it amazing that, against all reason, anyone can convince himself of that.

I have no doubt you believe that. I just think it's entirely misguided and against all rational interpretation of the evidence.

Which point? That a hands off approach is better at dealing with recessions than an interventionist approach, or that Hoover was an extreme interventionist that essentially laid the groundwork for FDR's policies?

Or I guess you could be referring to both points.

Which point? That a hands off approach is better at dealing with recessions than an interventionist approach, or that Hoover was an extreme interventionist that essentially laid the groundwork for FDR's policies?

there was only one point that i saw you make which was that had hoover's do nothing policies been extended, the depression would have been over quicker.

i think that's pretty much against the weight of all of the historical evidence.

prove that I don't

1. You're a Republican.

2. Republicans don't care about poor people who are hungry. Because 5% might be abusing welfare, you cut off the other 95% who needed it. Sad.

6. You protect a seed and prevent cancer and aids cures because of seeds that can't feel pain like the cancer or aids patients do.

7. You defend war for $ when thousands of US Soldiers had to die for that oil/money. What do you call them? Collateral Damage?

like I said. Prove that I don't..

there was only one point that i saw you make which was that had hoover's do nothing policies been extended, the depression would have been over quicker.

i think that's pretty much against the weight of all of the historical evidence.

Except that Hoover didn't have any "do-nothing" policies, and his interventions in the market made the Great Depression worse than it needed to be.

prove that I don't

1. You're a Republican.

like I said. Prove that I don't..

How do you feel about the 100,000 plus innocent Iraqi civilians that were murdered when we dropped bombs on Bagdad.

It wasn't to rid them of Saddam. It wasn't WMD's. It was for $/Oil.

How do you feel about it possibly being up to 1 million Iraqi's dead? 100k might be a small estimate.

How do you feel about those arabs in Iraq?

You'll prove it for me by answering.

Forum List

Back