Top 5 Regrets People Have At the End of Their Lives

There are some legitimate regrets I have now that I am on the downhill side of my life and the end is closer than the beginning.

Looking back I wish I had done some things better.

I wish I had been more adventurous and put in the effort to make some things happen that I postponed too long or gave up on too early.

I wish I had been more mature in some situations that needed a grown up and I wasn't willing to be one.

I wish I had parented better, been a more attentive neighbor, been a better friend, been less selfish and more of a positive influence. I wish I could take back many words that I said. I wish I had opportunity to say things that I should have said.

I wish I had taken better care of myself mentally, physically, and spiritually.

I wish I had started more things that I intended to do and finished more things that I started.

But, all in all, the time behind us cannot be retrieved and we are given few opportunities for do-overs in this lifetime. But we each have today and whatever time is left to do it better.
I thought wishing you would have been nicer to me, would've been one of your regrets?

There are some legitimate regrets I have now that I am on the downhill side of my life and the end is closer than the beginning.

Looking back I wish I had done some things better.

I wish I had been more adventurous and put in the effort to make some things happen that I postponed too long or gave up on too early.

I wish I had been more mature in some situations that needed a grown up and I wasn't willing to be one.

I wish I had parented better, been a more attentive neighbor, been a better friend, been less selfish and more of a positive influence. I wish I could take back many words that I said. I wish I had opportunity to say things that I should have said.

I wish I had taken better care of myself mentally, physically, and spiritually.

I wish I had started more things that I intended to do and finished more things that I started.

But, all in all, the time behind us cannot be retrieved and we are given few opportunities for do-overs in this lifetime. But we each have today and whatever time is left to do it better.
I thought wishing you would have been nicer to me, would've been one of your regrets?

Well if I have ever been less than nice to you, I would regret that. I don't go out of my way to be un-nice to people I have never met.

1. I wish I'd had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.
Frank Sinatra made more money. But he let success turn "his way" into the worst kind of arriveste carnival, often at the expense of less fortunate people. I never hurt another person by accident. No regrets.
2. I wish I hadn't worked so hard.
As a boy I watched the last of the draught horses go to their places every day. In summer sometimes my great grandfather would harness a couple of them and cut or rake hay. It was what they knew. Before the 1950s ended he and I had walked each in their turn to the far woods. Each of those trips ended a part of a way of life that for him started in the 1870s. Those were the only times he shed a tear in my presence. Work is who I am. In my 20s work was escape from my own feelings. In my 30s it was escape from other people's feelings. By my forties I was like those horses. Any sense of regret is for others, not for myself.
3. I wish I'd had the courage to express my feelings.
At eighteen there was fear of other people's judgment. At twenty there wasn't. That plus hard work and making every effort to be fair has made all the difference. My habit is to be silent. When my feelings can make a difference to someone, they know them. Otherwise at street level my feelings don't matter.
4. I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends.
Many tried to stay in touch with me. People still seem to like me and I like many of them. But there came a time mindless chatter stopped interesting me.
No regrets for myself. Some regrets for those who thought it might change.
5. I wish that I had let myself be happier.
Who could ask for anything more? There is a picture in my office. A crewcut blond-headed boy of four or five in a cheap cotton shirt standing barefoot in a barnyard, head tilted and looking up into the camera with a smile. That boy could not even imagine the life he would live. Que sera sera; what will be, will be... Regrets? Not really.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back