Top 5 of your favorite books

Moi:

Did you ever read Ludlum's "The Holcroft Covenant"? What a great story. The movie kind of stunk in comparison, but, then, that's usually the case.

musicman said:
Moi:

Did you ever read Ludlum's "The Holcroft Covenant"? What a great story. The movie kind of stunk in comparison, but, then, that's usually the case.
hmmm...the last one I read was the Paris Option. I don't know if the one you suggest is before or after...gotta make a trip to the local library to check that one out!

1. Jane Eyre

2. 1984

3. The Woman in White (if I go on for a PhD my disseration will be on Wilkie Collins!)

4. The Bell Jar

5. The Da Vinci Code (I know, I know, the writing sucks, but the research and ramifications are unbelievable...it's made me think.)

The Wheel of Time Series by Robert Jordan : BEST FANTASY SERIES EVER!!

The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind, esp. Faith of the Fallen book 6: Most philosophical fantasy I have ever seen. All political types should read it, especially liberals. You will see just how wrong you are.

Reading Dune now, I can't believe I waited so long. Beautiful!

Anything by Douglas Adams

1) (and far above any other )Atlas Shrugged
2) The Millionaire Next Door: Basically everything you "know" about the rich is wrong
3) Rich Dad, Poor Dad.
4) Lord of the Rings
5) The Sum of all Fears

Bern80 said:
1) (and far above any other )Atlas Shrugged

Ya know.....I was really enjoying that book right up until the end, the whole kidnapping, daring rescuing, sci-fi evil noise machine thing......just seemed out of place.

Certain parts, including the long argument about the intrinisic worth of money, were just brilliant.

When I was in college, there was a personal ad in the campus paper from some obviously very lonely guy who was looking for someone who was into the philosophy of Ayn Rand. It was in there every day for years. Sad.

popefumanchu said:
When I was in college, there was a personal ad in the campus paper from some obviously very lonely guy who was looking for someone who was into the philosophy of Ayn Rand. It was in there every day for years. Sad.

Sure it wasn't an ad for meetings for Objectivists?

Semper Fi said:
Alrighty, I'll gice it a shot then.

Update: Finished it. The relation to the war was unnecessary, the authors usage of WWII really disappointed me. Too much detail, and I hated the main character, Gene. He couldnt make up his mind, until he killed someone, then even still he didnt know what the hell he was doing. I can see how one would like it, if they liked those kinds of books. I'll stick the the Barenstein Bears.

You missed the point!!
The war was used to show loss of innocence and the journey from boy to man.
Gene killing Phinneas represented inner evil, and how you must make a decision to supress it, to achieve peace.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick
Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte'
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin
Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky
Complete Works of Edgar Allen Poe
Pillars of The Earth by Kenneth Follet
The Allienist by Caleb Carr
The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury
The Dolorous Passion by Catherine Emmerich
City of God by St Thomas Aquinas
Faranheit 451
Lord of The Rings - JR Tolkein
The Hobbit

many more --- :dunno: Sorry I couldn't pick just five

Some favorites and some recent reads:

1. The Supremacists - Schlafly
2. Rise and fall of the Third Reich - Shirer
3. Treason - Coulter
4. Legacy - Lowry
5. The Elegant Universe - Green
6. Lord of the Rings - Tolkein
7. Basic Economics/Applied Economics - Sowell

Some recent ones that I've listened to (makes the commute to and from work more enjoyable!)

1. Slander - Coulter
2. Federalist Papers - Hamilton, Jay et al
3. Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire - Gibbon
4. Common Sense - Paine
5. A Brief History of Time - Hawking
6. The Prince - Machiavelli
7. The Republic - Plato

KarlMarx said:
Some favorites and some recent reads:

1. The Supremacists - Schlafly
2. Rise and fall of the Third Reich - Shirer
3. Treason - Coulter
4. Legacy - Lowry
5. The Elegant Universe - Green
6. Lord of the Rings - Tolkein
7. Basic Economics/Applied Economics - Sowell

Some recent ones that I've listened to (makes the commute to and from work more enjoyable!)

1. Slander - Coulter
2. Federalist Papers - Hamilton, Jay et al
3. Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire - Gibbon
4. Common Sense - Paine
5. A Brief History of Time - Hawking
6. The Prince - Machiavelli
7. The Republic - Plato

I see You enjoy Ms Coulters work, both those books are great!

Basic/Applied economics...Is that Thomas Sowell?

Bonnie said:
I see You enjoy Ms Coulters work, both those books are great!

Basic/Applied economics...Is that Thomas Sowell?

Yes, actually I dare anyone (that is conservative) to read anything by Ann Coulter and not laugh or chuckle. She has a wit that is hard to match!

I neglected to mention that Basic/Applied economics are actually two separate book and yes, both books are by Thomas Sowell....

Plus Ms. Coulter is coming out with another book in October

"How to Talk to a Liberal (If You Must) : The World According to Ann Coulter"

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1400054184/anncoultedoto-20/ref%3Dnosim/002-8010551-6395213]Ann Coutler's new book[/ame]

KarlMarx said:
Yes, actually I dare anyone (that is conservative) to read anything by Ann Coulter and not laugh or chuckle. She has a wit that is hard to match!

I neglected to mention that Basic/Applied economics are actually two separate book and yes, both books are by Thomas Sowell....

Plus Ms. Coulter is coming out with another book in October

"How to Talk to a Liberal (If You Must) : The World According to Ann Coulter"

Ann Coutler's new book

Im putting her new book on my to buy list right now!! :D

Sweet Valley High #4
Sweet Valley High #10
Sweet Valley High #23
Sweet Valley High #33
War and Peace

Libertarian:

1. The Road to Serfdom, Hayek

2. The Incredible Bread Machine, Grant

3. Theory and History, von Mises (actually, I haven't read this book. but it's on my shelf and the title sounds intimidating.)

Racial Reality:

1. The Dispossessed Majority, Wilmot Robertson (incredibly elegant summation of what has happened to whites in America since the Revolution.)

2. Race: The Reality of Human Differences, by Sarich and Miele (highly recommended for those looking for scientific but accessible eviscerations of the 20th Century's biggest lie: racial equality.)

3. One Sheaf, One Vine: Racially Conscious White Americans Talk About Race, by Griffin (yours truly is one of the chapters).

Conservative Humor:

1. Parliament of Whores, P.J. O'Rourke

2. Give War a Chance, P.J. O'Rourke

3. Age and Guile Beat Youth, Innocence and a Bad Haircut, P.J. O'Rourke

Forum List

Back