Top 100 Science-Fiction, Fantasy Books

IMNSHO and of those I know about, you can remove the following from the list:

15. Watchmen, by Alan Moore (It's a graphic novel aka comic, not a book. Belongs on a different list)

23. The Dark Tower Series, by Stephen King (and I LIKE King, but this isn't groundbreaking or Top anything)

29. The Sandman Series, by Neil Gaiman (comicbook series... see Watchman)

45. The Left Hand Of Darkness, by Ursula K. LeGuin (God she sucks with nothing original to say)

<><><>

Too many 'sexy' picks like 5 works by Neil Gaiman? I mean he's good, but that good? Besides, "Good Omens" was pretty damn innovative for fantasy-comedy.

Ones I was happy to see:

14. Neuromancer, by William Gibson (Dude, he Created Cyberpunk)
20. Frankenstein, by Mary Shelley (Invented Science Fiction AND horror in one book)
22. The Handmaid's Tale, by Margaret Atwood (politically, whatever. But an awesome read)
25. The Stand, by Stephen King (A top 5 book for me)
32. Watership Down, by Richard Adams (Extremely happy another top five book for me)
38. Flowers For Algernon, by Daniel Keys
79. Something Wicked This Way Comes, by Ray Bradbury (The movie is good too)
100. The Space Trilogy, by C.S. Lewis

Omissions I wish I could have seen:

"On Basilisk Station." David Weber did a phenomenal job in telling hard sci fi space combat in a new way.

"Bloom" by Wil McCarthy. Outstanding view of a nano-pocalypse. His Queendom series is phenomenal too. How many duplicates of you do you really need or should have before trouble sets in?

"Jurassic Park" Michael Crichton. Come on... think about it. Theme Parks plus Dinosaurs equals PROFIIIIIIT! Oh wait I mean DISASTERRRRRR!!!!

"Hammers Slammers" David Drake. Sci fi tanks and soldiers would never be the same. I suppose you could also include Keith Laumer's "Bolo" series in this, but I've never read it. Another good one by him is "Redliners" where a burnt out military unit must protect colonists from an ecology turned weapon.

"Software" Rudy Rucker. Cybersurrealism???? Oh yeah... and mathematically wild. What is reality anyway and why is it mandatory?

and a few from Alan Dean Foster

"Nor Crystal Tears". First contact from the point of view of the alien.
"Sentenced to Prism" A look at a silicon and solar based life form world

The "War against the Chtorr" series by David Gerrold. What if it wasn't one species invading Earth but an entire ecosystem? This should be a top 25 instead of Urpsila K. LeCrap.

Oh and where the FUCK is the "Chronicles of Narnia"??? Top 20 easy. Remove a fanboy Neil Gaiman book, and bump all the others down from American Gods and slot that bad boy in at #10 and be done with it. Far more important and popular. Not to mention "The Screwtape Letters" and "The Great Divorce". I'd consider both of those FAR more important and innovative fantasy than even C.S. Lewis's Space trilogy. what'd they do? Dock points for Christianity???

And where is Harry Potter (regardless of the fact I'll never read it.)?

Where is the Lt. Leary series from Drake?? I have them all. Great reads every one.

Also didn't see anything by Bujold, her series on Miles Vorkosigan is a great read.

Didn't see a lot of fantasy writers either. Kurtz, Lackey, Cherynn to name a few.
I've never been a fan of Cherryh really. I've read the Paladin all the way. that was okay. But generally, her stuff never clicks with me.

I'd be a bigger fan of Mercedes Lackey if she didn't focus so much on teenage homosexual lovers. Her storm series was pretty darn good outside of that.

IMNSHO and of those I know about, you can remove the following from the list:

15. Watchmen, by Alan Moore (It's a graphic novel aka comic, not a book. Belongs on a different list)

23. The Dark Tower Series, by Stephen King (and I LIKE King, but this isn't groundbreaking or Top anything)

29. The Sandman Series, by Neil Gaiman (comicbook series... see Watchman)

45. The Left Hand Of Darkness, by Ursula K. LeGuin (God she sucks with nothing original to say)

<><><>

Too many 'sexy' picks like 5 works by Neil Gaiman? I mean he's good, but that good? Besides, "Good Omens" was pretty damn innovative for fantasy-comedy.

Ones I was happy to see:

14. Neuromancer, by William Gibson (Dude, he Created Cyberpunk)
20. Frankenstein, by Mary Shelley (Invented Science Fiction AND horror in one book)
22. The Handmaid's Tale, by Margaret Atwood (politically, whatever. But an awesome read)
25. The Stand, by Stephen King (A top 5 book for me)
32. Watership Down, by Richard Adams (Extremely happy another top five book for me)
38. Flowers For Algernon, by Daniel Keys
79. Something Wicked This Way Comes, by Ray Bradbury (The movie is good too)
100. The Space Trilogy, by C.S. Lewis

Omissions I wish I could have seen:

"On Basilisk Station." David Weber did a phenomenal job in telling hard sci fi space combat in a new way.

"Bloom" by Wil McCarthy. Outstanding view of a nano-pocalypse. His Queendom series is phenomenal too. How many duplicates of you do you really need or should have before trouble sets in?

"Jurassic Park" Michael Crichton. Come on... think about it. Theme Parks plus Dinosaurs equals PROFIIIIIIT! Oh wait I mean DISASTERRRRRR!!!!

"Hammers Slammers" David Drake. Sci fi tanks and soldiers would never be the same. I suppose you could also include Keith Laumer's "Bolo" series in this, but I've never read it. Another good one by him is "Redliners" where a burnt out military unit must protect colonists from an ecology turned weapon.

"Software" Rudy Rucker. Cybersurrealism???? Oh yeah... and mathematically wild. What is reality anyway and why is it mandatory?

and a few from Alan Dean Foster

"Nor Crystal Tears". First contact from the point of view of the alien.
"Sentenced to Prism" A look at a silicon and solar based life form world

The "War against the Chtorr" series by David Gerrold. What if it wasn't one species invading Earth but an entire ecosystem? This should be a top 25 instead of Urpsila K. LeCrap.

Oh and where the FUCK is the "Chronicles of Narnia"??? Top 20 easy. Remove a fanboy Neil Gaiman book, and bump all the others down from American Gods and slot that bad boy in at #10 and be done with it. Far more important and popular. Not to mention "The Screwtape Letters" and "The Great Divorce". I'd consider both of those FAR more important and innovative fantasy than even C.S. Lewis's Space trilogy. what'd they do? Dock points for Christianity???

And where is Harry Potter (regardless of the fact I'll never read it.)?

Where is the Lt. Leary series from Drake?? I have them all. Great reads every one.

Also didn't see anything by Bujold, her series on Miles Vorkosigan is a great read.

Didn't see a lot of fantasy writers either. Kurtz, Lackey, Cherynn to name a few.
I've never been a fan of Cherryh really. I've read the Paladin all the way. that was okay. But generally, her stuff never clicks with me.

I'd be a bigger fan of Mercedes Lackey if she didn't focus so much on teenage homosexual lovers. Her storm series was pretty darn good outside of that.

I liked the Herald-Mage series with Vanyel. Have the series and really enjoyed Ol'Van. He was gay but he sure could kick some serious ass. LOL One cool dude.

I like some of Cherryh's stuff and really like Katherin Kurtz Deryni books. Have all of those as well.

Another one I really like was Heather Gladney's Teots War and Bloodstorm. Good characters and really good storyline.

Console Chopsticks

I like that "The Time Machine" (H.G. Wells), "Contact" (Carl Sagan), and "Conan the Barbarian" (R.E. Howard) made the list.

I would like someone to make a scienec-fiction/fantasy video game ranking.

I like the "Final Fantasy" (Hironobu Sakaguchi) series, since it inspires layman storytelling such as the following:

The Dark City vigilante Red Sabre challenges the sinister dominion of the ominous Cupid Death Gang, which is comprised of the disguised nemeses Menace (a maniac on steroids), Iris (a computer-hacking terrorist), and Titan (an ethically corrupt media tycoon).

:banana:

Category Video games based on novels - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
Juggernaut.png

aeon_flux.jpg

Ghost-31.jpg

I think this 8. The Foundation Trilogy, by Isaac Asimov should be #1. Almost everything Asimov wrote was awesome.. I would highly recommend every single one of his novels to anyone who truly appreciates SciFi.

Forum List

Back