Top 10 movies of all time

There are no "best movies" as such. Some weren't taken seriously at the time and stick in your head more than others. Casablanca is one of those movies with tons of one liners that are still quoted like "round up the usual suspects". Jaws "you're gonna need a bigger boat" is another one. Citizen Kane "rosebud" is a good one. How about Frankenstein "it's alive". It's best not to take somebody else's list seriously and trust your own likes.

Star Wars didn't make the cut and neither did Jaws so the profit motive and the popularity isn't a concern for the alleged "critics". So what's the deal?
As, I said real critics look for quality, not popularity. Just looking at how many stars or the bottom line from a critic can very misleading. You have to read the review to determine what he bases his opinion on.

Last edited:
There are no "best movies" as such. Some weren't taken seriously at the time and stick in your head more than others. Casablanca is one of those movies with tons of one liners that are still quoted like "round up the usual suspects". Jaws "you're gonna need a bigger boat" is another one. Citizen Kane "rosebud" is a good one. How about Frankenstein "it's alive". It's best not to take somebody else's list seriously and trust your own likes.
Very true. What makes a movie good for one person makes it a dud for another. It's very hard to come up with a movie that has universal appeal, so most movie makers play it safe by making a movie that will appeal to a more limited audience such as action adventure, romantic comedy etc. Often movies that try to appeal to everyone fall on their face and don't appeal to anyone.

Last edited:
My "favorite" movies include The Wizard of Oz, The Blues Brothers (1980), Young Frankenstein, The Bride of Frankenstein, and Blade Runner (1982). I agree with an earlier post on this thread that are no real "Best Of" lists that mean anything. It's all subjective.

This is an interesting set of lists. One is according to critics, before the internet this is who got to say what is and what isn't a good movie.
The second is audience only. No critics.

According to critics:
1 - Citizen Kane 1941
2 - The Godfather 1972
3 - Rear Window 1954
4 - Casablanca 1943
5 - Boyhood 2014
6 - Three Colors Red 1994
7 - Vertigo 1958
8 - Notorious 1946
9 - Singing in the Rain 1952
10 - City Lights. 1930

As rated by audiences:
1 - Shawshank Redemption 1994
2 - The Godfather 1972
3 - The Dark Knight 2008
4 - Godfather II 1976
5 - 12 Angry Men 1957
6 - Schindler's List 1993
7 - Lord of the Rings: Return of the King 2003
8 - Pulp Fiction 1994
9 - Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Rings 2001
10 - Good, Bad and the Ugly 1966

The critics list leaves a lot to be desired. Two of them I had never even heard of before.
The audience lists, not surprisingly, has newer films. But I have heard and seen every one of them.
Who got it right the most?
Why no comedies? Can't a best movie be a comedy?

Why no comedies? Can't a best movie be a comedy?
When it comes to selecting award winning pictures, there's a lot of genre bias. Serious dramas or social-problem films with weighty inspirational themes, films inspired by real-life individuals or events, or films with strong literary themes are the films that win most of the awards.

Good comedy is said to be harder than good drama. I think this is because, it is much harder to predict whether a comedy will be successful than a drama. What seems very funny during the filming may fall flat when viewed by audiences in a theater and the reverse is true. This unpredictability of comedy plus the fact that many great comedies fall short in other aspect of film making often causes critics to bypass good comedies.

Audiences determine whether movies are successes or failures, not critics. A good movie critic can spot quality in the acting, scripts, cinematography, sound, and direction. They can not tell you if you will like or dislike a movie. They can only give you their opinion.

Last edited:
This is an interesting set of lists. One is according to critics, before the internet this is who got to say what is and what isn't a good movie.

According to critics:
1 - Citizen Kane 1941
2 - The Godfather 1972
3 - Rear Window 1954
4 - Casablanca 1943
5 - Boyhood 2014
7 - Vertigo 1958
8 - Notorious 1946
10 - City Lights. 1930

As rated by audiences:
2 - The Godfather 1972
3 - The Dark Knight 2008
4 - Godfather II 1976
5 - 12 Angry Men 1957
8 - Pulp Fiction 1994

The critics list leaves a lot to be desired. Two of them I had never even heard of before.
The audience lists, not surprisingly, has newer films. But I have heard and seen every one of them.
Who got it right the most

According to critics:
1 - Citizen Kane 1941
2 - The Godfather 1972
3 - Rear Window 1954
4 - Casablanca 1943
5 - Boyhood 2014
7 - Vertigo 1958
8 - Notorious 1946
10 - City Lights. 1930

As rated by audiences:
2 - The Godfather 1972
3 - The Dark Knight 2008
4 - Godfather II 1976
5 - 12 Angry Men 1957
8 - Pulp Fiction 1994

Who got it right the most?
Where did these lists come from?

Here is how rotten tomatoes critics rated your audience picks
91%
97% 2 - The Godfather 1972
94% 3 - The Dark Knight 2008
96% 4 - Godfather II 1976
100% 5 - 12 Angry Men 1957
98% 6 - Schindler's List 1993
95% 7 - Lord of the Rings: Return of the King 2003
92% 8 - Pulp Fiction 1994
91% 9 - Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Rings 2001
97% 10 - Good, Bad and the Ugly 1966

Here's How Rotten Tomatoes Audience rated your critics picks
99%
1 - Citizen Kane 1941
98% 2 - The Godfather 1972
95% 3 - Rear Window 1954
95% 4 - Casablanca 1943
80% 5 - Boyhood 2014
94% 6 - Three Colors Red 1994
93% 7 - Vertigo 1958
91% 8 - Notorious 1946
95% 9 - Singing in the Rain 1952
96% 10 - City Lights. 1930

There is little difference between overall critics scores and audience scores. This is because audiences and critics generally agree. Boyhood is the only movie where critics and audiences strongly disagreed which is not surprising because the movie is not intended to be entertainment. It chronical the life of young boy over a 12 year period. Unless you are really into childhood development, you are likely find it a bit boring. I did.

Have not seen Boyhood, Singing in the Rain, City Lights.
Singing in Rain is a very funny musical which was very successful at the box office and remains popular even today.

City Lights is a 1931 silent romantic comedy. The story follows the misadventures of Charlie Chaplin's Tramp as he falls in love with a blind girl and develops a turbulent friendship with an alcoholic millionaire. As is with many Chaplin movies, it is both sad and hilarious. Although it is recognized today as one Chaplin's best movies, it got little attention in 1931 due to audiences interest in sound movies. It was re-release in 1950 and did very well at the box office.

This was the first silent movie I saw that I actually liked. It is very hard for audiences that were raised on sound movies to appreciate silent movies. When an actor has no voice, he must express himself through facial expressions, body movement, and action and no one does it better than Chaplin.

Three Colors Red - I know right? Never heard of it. Watched a trailer - still never heard of it. Probably made the list because they felt they have to include a foreign film
You probably wouldn't. It's a subtitled French movie that was very popular in Europe but had a very limited release in the US. It was also the 3rd film in a trilogy. In years past we would call this an art movie, great cinematography and music, clever dialogue with a rather complex plot dealing with a number of abstract concepts. Definitely not a film for most US movie goers.

"Critics" are known for hating movies that become obsessive classics and cult movies, so I've NEVER given a shit what a "critic" thinks of any movie. They are paid by the companies they work for to rate movies that their bosses have vested interests in........just like the media and their "journalists".

As for those lists of movies.....

According to critics:
1 - Citizen Kane 1941 -- barely held my interest enough to get thru the entire movie.
2 - The Godfather 1972 -- a complete yawnfest. I think I fell asleep a couple times.
3 - Rear Window 1954 -- a good movie, but not this noteworthy.
4 - Casablanca 1943 -- I've seen this a few times. Yes, it's ok, but not THIS ok.
5 - Boyhood 2014 -- Never heard of it.
6 - Three Colors Red 1994 -- Never heard of it.
7 - Vertigo 1958 -- Never heard of it.
8 - Notorious 1946 -- Never heard of it.
9 - Singing in the Rain 1952 -- fun movie, nothing this noteworthy though.
10 - City Lights. 1930 -- Never heard of it.

As rated by audiences:
1 - Shawshank Redemption 1994 -- I like Morgan Freeman, otherwise I'd have never watched it. Meh.
2 - The Godfather 1972 -- Yawn.
3 - The Dark Knight 2008 -- Double YAWN. Again, Morgan Freeman.
4 - Godfather II 1976 -- Yawn II.
5 - 12 Angry Men 1957 -- Ok, now we're talking.
6 - Schindler's List 1993 -- Yes.....unfortunately (because of the story).
7 - Lord of the Rings: Return of the King 2003 - Tons of CGI do not make a movie, no matter how much I liked it.
8 - Pulp Fiction 1994 -- Never had any interest in this, although I love Uma Thurman.
9 - Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Rings 2001 - Again, CGI does not make a movie something to put on this list.
10 - Good, Bad and the Ugly 1966 -- Clint Eastwood......hell yes!

I'm curious to know why the first three Star Wars aren't on this list, or even the first Star Trek Motion Picture.

I'm also curious to know what filters they used to categorize and pick these movies as noteworthy enough to put on these lists? Ticket sales? Script writers? Story content? Directors? Producers? Personal opinion?

I'm not exactly sure what movies I would have on this list. I like so many movies for so many different reasons.
I suggest picking movies based on a synopsis of the movie, not based on the opinion of people you don't know who may have very different tastes than yours. No one is better qualified to pick a good movie than you.

I mostly agree with you assessment except I think The Godfather was excellent.

I have never been able to appreciate Citizen Kane. Interesting visuals for the time but basically, like you said, boring. Casablanca is way over rated.

The movie that should have been on that list is Night of the Hunter.

Also, The Longest Day and Doctor Zhivago.

Red River with John Wayne was also outstanding.
Citizen Kane is a good movie only if it's the kind of movie you like. However it is one of the great masterpieces of filmmaking. On the surface it is about a man's rise to power but that is not really what the movie is about. Throughout movie, you hear his best friends, his employees, and his enemies, describing the Charles Foster Kaine they knew but no one could ever answer the question as to what drove this man. The question was only answered in the closing scenes.

Kane whispers his final word Rosebud, the name of his loved childhood sled.
This reveals Kane's final realization that he lost his childhood goodness and innocence to become a cold hard person. The sled represents a wish to go back to an earlier time in his life before money and fortune corrupted him.

The tragedy is that he only realizes this after it's too late, and his sled Rosebud ends up getting tossed into an incinerator and burned. So it looks like no one will ever realize what Kane meant when he said the name of his favorite boyhood toy.

This is very powerful stuff and can provoke a lot of introspection into one's own life but it's hard to call it entertaining. No one leaves this movie saying what a fun movie that was.

Last edited:
Gone with the wind was a really well-done movie Also like the Song Of the South. It is a real classic. I added To kill A Mocking Bird for the same reason. Think on it I ;like Gone with the wind for the same reason I like Wizard of Oz.
Song of South was a good movie in it's day. However by today's standard it is very racist. Kids in the 1940's love the stories Brer Fox, Brer Bear, and Brer Rabbit as told by Uncle Remus. It is true that the movie's depiction of an idyllic life for Blacks on the planation was far from the truth but the movie took place after end of slavery. I think Disney overreacted in banning the movie. The movie Birth of Nation is claimed to be one our greatest movies yet it promoted the KKK to the point of being the savior of the South and it is largely respond for the rise of KKK in the 20's and 30's.

Last edited:
Song of South was a good movie in it's day. However by today's standard it is very racist. Kids in the 1940's love the stories Brer Fox, Brer Bear, and Brer Rabbit as told by Uncle Remus. It is true that the movie's depiction of an idyllic life for Blacks on the planation was far from the truth but movie took place after end of slavery. I think Disney overreacted in banning the movie. The movie Birth of Nation is claimed to be one our greatest movies yet it promoted the KKK to the point of being the savior of the South and it is largely respond the rise of KKK in in the 20's and 30's.

I had relatives that were Klan members in the 1950s and 60s.

They were mostly returning WWII veterans that were trying to protect their home turf and for the most part were successful. Not that much different from the story in Birth of a Nation. Crime was low. Despite what Liberals and Hollywood have brainwashed the American people to believe the Klan was a much more positive force than depicted.

Orson Wells overacts terribly and the story was not that great

The movie is OK and worth a watch, but hardly the best ever
The story and plot structure, editing, and cinematography are what makes the movie a standout. For me it is the cinematograph. The use of shadow, grayscale, low and high angle shots were a Welles trademark. Today Welles techniques are common in movies but not in 1940
1667347297009.png

1667347343368.png

1667347409558.png

1667347457516.png

1667347543180.png

Last edited:
I had relatives that were Klan members in the 1950s and 60s.

They were mostly returning WWII veterans that were trying to protect their home turf and for the most part were successful. Not that much different from the story in Birth of a Nation. Crime was low. Despite what Liberals and Hollywood have brainwashed the American people to believe the Klan was a much more positive force than depicted.
Did they lynch anyone?

Forum List

Back