Top 10 martial arts for self defense

There are a lot of variations.
Kid reads Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling -- or watches the movies -- but I think it's the books more that become a religion unto themselves. Then the kid studies -- goes to medical school and then that oath to do no harm or injustice to the patients is a joke.

I never did boxing
I don’t like head shots and concussions
I have had several severe concussions all of which fully healed with no permanent damage. Most of them were not due to fighting. I was an avid soccer player when I was in fifth grade, 10-11 years old or so, hit the ball with my head. No damage from that either. Not even as a young child. Except I lost interest in sports when boys discovered girls and girls discovered they hated me so much they had an almost unquenchable lifelong desire to murder me in cold blood.

My mma class was a huge learning experience for me until the new coach !!
I pray he comes back but I am not fully optimistic
I was going to try my final bjj class after the vaccine

So a boss showed up and asked the old coach a few pointed questions. In Las Vegas. Downtown. That kind of boss. So you switch it up a little bit. Different class. You don’t want a boss coming down on you. Not in that town. The boss doesn’t quite know who you are, yet, so you keep a low profile, a different class, similar, but not quite the same, to cover your ass. The stories don’t match up anymore when the boss comes looking for you or asking about you.

So a boss showed up and asked the old coach a few pointed questions. In Las Vegas. Downtown. That kind of boss. So you switch it up a little bit. Different class. You don’t want a boss coming down on you. Not in that town. The boss doesn’t quite know who you are, yet, so you keep a low profile, a different class, similar, but not quite the same, to cover your ass. The stories don’t match up anymore when the boss comes looking for you or asking about you.
My gym has a bjj class but I feel it’s too advanced for me ! I feel I should only be doing beginner to intermediate classes at my age !
My mma class was that level

The bjj class is over my head and has many high level guys
This new gym seems like the right fit but I need a vaccine shot

Inside 20 foot i am shooting from the hip.

Just remember, inside 20 feet:
  1. The other guy can now throw a knife at you.
  2. He is only two steps away from reaching you.
  3. Shooting from the hip you could miss and won't get a second chance.
  4. Pulling a gun, a smart man could dive, roll, making a very difficult moving target, and come up right beside you to break your knee with a kick, a groin kick or a knife to the groin.
And I won't even get into other possibilities like having small lead weights thrown at you (they are meant to temporarily stun) or even salt in the eyes to blind you (can be dry or in a solution that breaks on impact).

Did I mention anything about carrying a 2-foot steel wire? :smoke: (it has grip handles on each end)

Just stuff to think about.

The best offense is the one that completely catches the other guy totally by surprise. People are LOOKING for, expecting (and practice for) knives and guns. :eusa_whistle:

:lmao:

We practiced disarming assailants with kicks.
I could do it at one time. I could snap a kick to the wrist hard enough to break a gun free faster than you could react and squeeze the trigger.

:lmao:

Of course, you would freeze and wet your panties, so there's the famous Unkotare defense :itsok:

It's called an inside Crescent Kick. You have to be a very good athlete and well trained. So you wouldn't know.
I actually fought in tournaments. Did you?
Don't fear the man who practices a thousand kicks.....fear the man who practices one kick a thousand times.

....It's called an inside Crescent Kick. .....

:lol:

Of all the 'traditional' martial arts, TKD is by far the least traditional and the most useless in real life situations. Yes, I know from very first hand experience. For Korean arts, Ssireum or even Taekkyon are vastly superior. TKD was simply an attempt to Korean-ize an amalgam of Japanese Karate (an unfortunate, if understandable, cultural trait in general).

... You have to be a very good athlete and well trained. So you wouldn't know.
I actually fought in tournaments. Did you?

That's hilarious. I'm very, very confident that I have in my time competed in, and have now coached, many more tournaments than some strip-mall TKD hero. This is to say nothing of 'situations' outside of tournaments, Junior.

Last edited:
Don't fear the man who practices a thousand kicks.....fear the man who practices one kick a thousand times.

Laugh at the boy who has never kicked anything that intended to kick back with full intent and for more than a touch point.

Last edited:
All fights eventually end up on the ground. So, in that light, BJJ is better,......

Not always, but usually, and there are usually more than just two people involved. Hence the superiority of wrestling.
See, that right there is a fact too many people overlook; the assaults you're dealing with in a real incident tend to not look anything like what is done in the gym, and while that doesn't invalidate what folks are training, they do need to consider the applications. I don't get many opportunities to cleanly throw someone because there is no throw in Judo designed to work when 1 or 2 other people are holding onto the guy you're struggling with. That common, real world situation is rarely encountered in a training environment. Doesn't mean you shouldn't train this stuff, just means you have to consider the environment and the circumstances. Same with the way BJJ guys like to start a roll from the knees....... when does that ever happen outside of a training mat?

Judo, Sambo, BJJ are all just forms of wrestling, and you better know how to grapple some, just like you better know how to give and take a punch...... but don't forget why you're learning it.

Everyone overthinks this shit IMO...... pick a type of grappling, (freestyle wrestling, BJJ, catch-as-catch-can) pick some style of boxing (western, Thai, whatever), and go train it, people. Just remember that there will almost always be more than one of them, and there will almost always be weapons involved.

And don't confuse a martial sport that has some techniques that can be used to defend yourselves in certain circumstances, with "self-defense"; it ain't the same thing..... not even close.

No number of belts of any color are a substitute for first hand experience with the variables and the angry, chaotic energy of real shit in the real world.

Forum List

Back