Tonight's 'Super Blue Moon'

Taken less than an hour ago, using my ancient (c. late 1960s-early 1970s) Vivitar 85-205mm ƒ/3.8 Tele-Zoom lens, mounted on my 2013 Nikon D3200. 500²-pixel section of the image, upscaled and enhanced to 2048² pixels using Topaz Photo AI. 1⁄200 of a second, ISO 400. I'm not certain of the aperture setting, but it was very likely ƒ/16.

View attachment 822736
I don't see no blue.

I don't see no blue.
The histogram shows there to be about as much blue in that image, as red or green.

1693784703674.png

The histogram shows there to be about as much blue in that image, as red or green.

Using special photographic techniques reveals that a good bit of the Moon, the Mare, where a great deep of deep basalts have upwelled, are actually quite blue, though the color saturation is typically too pale to be noticed by the unaided eye.

Moon_RGB_20111013_22h.jpg

Using special photographic techniques reveals that a good bit of the Moon, the Mare, where a great deep of deep basalts have upwelled, are actually quite blue, though the color saturation is typically too pale to be noticed by the unaided eye.

I suppose that's possible, with much better equipment than I have at my disposal.

As it is, in processing my picture, I processed it to greatly boost the color saturation way beyond what is apparent to the naked eye, revealing the moon to be much more colorful than how we see it.

The core of my process was this ancient Vivitar 85-205mm ƒ/3.8 TELE-ZOOM lens, made some time in the late 1960s or early 1970s. I originally bought it in 1986, to use on a Nikon F2 Photomic (c. 1972) that I bought at the same time. On this occasion, I was using it on my much more modern Nikon D3200. This is the part of the whole process that limits the available optical quality of the image.

Zi2023-09-03_17.03.40-topaz-enhance-1500h.jpg
Zi2023-09-03_17.02.44-topaz-sharpen.jpg
I do have a 4½-inch reflector telescope, but I don't have a way to mount my camera on it, and I don't think it's steady enough for that use anyway.

I suppose that's possible, with much better equipment than I have at my disposal.
I do have a 4½-inch reflector telescope

Well, yeah, what you are talking about there is probably a cheap, Japanese, department-store beginner newtonian kid's telescope; to take my photo, you need actual, competent astronomy gear and some special narrow-band filters and processing software.

Quick, don’t miss it! All genuine “lunatics” rejoice! Werewolfs too!

The moon has been much in the news this August. For most of the month, uncrewed spacecraft from Russia and India were in a hot cosmic race to see which country would earn the bragging rights of being the first to safely land a ship in the moon’s south polar region. On Aug. 20, Russia’s plans came to ruin, after an engine burn intended to fine-tune the ship’s descent went awry. Three days later, India—very much a newbie in the moon game—successfully stuck its landing, earning this year’s top honors for lunar exploration.

But the moon hardly needs human intervention to make cosmic headlines. Tonight (Aug. 30) at shortly after 8:30 p.m. eastern time, through the morning of Sept. 1, a rare “super blue moon” will rise in the skies, creating a spectacle that thrills photographers, amateur sky watchers and even seasoned astronomers…

Interesting I completely forgot about the Blue Moon on Aug 30- sept1.. but by coincidence I watched a lot movies yesterday with Moon in the title. I watched a foreign film called "Blue Moon". 99 moons, Twighlight New Moon, Moonstruck.

I was outside looking at the moon with Wife, but completely forgot it was a blue moon. One of my favorite songs is "Moon River".

What's interesting is during the Blue Moon been sick with COVID

I expect that big Blue Moon was subconsciously inspiring your choice in movies … and looking out for your health as well! :)

Forum List

Back