Tomatoes

RadiomanATL

Jun 13, 2009
Not here
What kind did you plant this year? I'm about to go outside and plant the one's I purchased. This year I went with the Bush Goliath variety, since it is supposed to do well as a potted tomato plant (I can't plant them in the yard. Damn dogs and Georgia clay).

Which ones have worked out for you in the past?

Early Girls and Sweet One Hundreds are often our tried and true options.

But this year I'm also including an heirloom Siberian Tomato plant. They do well in cooler weather, which hedges our bets considering how North Oakland can be somewhat foggy in the summer.

Early Girls and Sweet One Hundreds are often our tried and true options.

But this year I'm also including an heirloom Siberian Tomato plant. They do well in cooler weather, which hedges our bets considering how North Oakland can be somewhat foggy in the summer.

They didn't have those where I am. I'm guessing because of the climate zone, our varieties are different.

We have a fabulous local nursery ( Magic Gardens: WELCOME TO MAGIC GARDENS ) that has a wide variety of heirloom tomato plants. A few years ago I tried the Siberian one - the tomatoes were fantastic. Time to give it another go.

When I tried to grow them, they would't. ANY kind. But then I tried cherry tomatoes. Still a no go except one or two. So when the season was over, I pulled them all up. The seeds from the two tiny ones that never grew big enough to eat or even turn red, must have falled into the soil. The following year, oodles of them. But nothing last year. Not even from seeds.

Beach. Soil is too sandy although I have added lots of bagged soil.

What kind did you plant this year? I'm about to go outside and plant the one's I purchased. This year I went with the Bush Goliath variety, since it is supposed to do well as a potted tomato plant (I can't plant them in the yard. Damn dogs and Georgia clay).

Which ones have worked out for you in the past?

Cherry Tomatos are the only tomatos I'll bother with anymore: Tasty and low maintenance.

However, try different varieties: the Yellow Grape have a very unique flavor.

Only thing I have growing out there now is 6 corn stalks and a small pot of scallion. And that's all it will be that I planted myself. Just can't do it any more.

We bought a couple of heirloom-variety plants at the local University greenhouse.
Violet Jasper. Not sure about the taste LOL.
Prob. put out a couple of common varieties too.

z-2247.jpg

We got two Topsy Turveys at Menards yesterday,,,,,didn't know they didn't come with the tomato seeds!

Let's hope those suckers work, I love me some home grown 'maters!

We got two Topsy Turveys at Menards yesterday,,,,,didn't know they didn't come with the tomato seeds!

Let's hope those suckers work, I love me some home grown 'maters!

I will check my local hardware store's nursery section to see if they have any. Glad to hear they come with seeds. Thanks for the heads up.

I grow inside a greenhouse with a drip system.
It's a cross known as Turrialba( Costa Rica) x Bonimar (from Australia). It likes a ph of about 6-6.5 which can be accomplished with acid(up'ar). Damn good 'mater !
Porters pride works pretty well down this way too.It's the best for Floridastan and the gulf states.

I had three types last year, Yellow pear tomato, Beef steak and Big boy.
The big boy's and the yellow pear produced earlier, while the Beef steak came in a few weeks later and laster later in the year. The yellow ones were smaller and produced a large crop. I even had some come up already this year from droppings from last year. The pear tomatoes are not sandwich tomatoes but good for salads and do not have as much acid.

Forum List

Back