CDZ Told you all not to believe online reviews

Toronado3800

Gold Member
Nov 15, 2009
Now is probably a good time to pile on sites which use a public review system of their products.

Here is a trip advisor problem: TripAdvisor removed warnings about rapes and injuries at Mexico resorts, tourists say

I am sure there is a good legitimate one out there. Yelp is not it. The place I work is on Yelp and someplace back in our recorded phone calls from a year or so ago I have them asking me if I'd like a negative review taken down.

Even legitimate sites have to deal with spammers and fake reviews. Got a small business with out enough stars? Time to make yourself some reviews. Even with no tech savvy you can have your friends, family and employees all leave reviees.

So buyer beware and trust real tangible things you can touch more than the web.

I generally don't trust a lot of reviews when there is a sameness about them and they just don't read authentic. Amazon solicits reviews from people who actually purchased the product and encourages their patrons to review the good and negative reviews. So far, the reviews both positive and negative have been printed exactly as I sent them in and I have found other of their reviews to be pretty reliable. We sometimes buy the product when the primary negative review was that it was difficult to assemble. (Those kinds of complaints have always turned out to be warranted. :) )

As for Trip Advisor and Yelp, sometimes they are spot on and sometimes not so much. The most dangerous sites to trust--at least for us--are those that recommend contractors. Even Angie's List has steered us wrong in major ways. So we rely on word of mouth of who to hire as much as possible.

I like a thoughtful criticism better than a praisey review to guide my purchases. I ignore top reviews and look at the middle of the pack or lower ones.

I have been on Trip Adviser for years and never posted in the forum. It's all subjective to begin with. When I look at reviews, I have a specific criteria I am looking for and I leave reviews that answer that criteria if it does not exist. That criteria changes depending on age. If it is nightlife and partying, then public transportation and really cool hotels in the area are the thing. Traveling with children has a different set of criteria.

Research on any destination should not be limited to Trip Adviser or Yelp. No where was it mentioned in the article that an attempt was made to contact the US Embassy. I am not defending Trip Adviser and it's not a neutral area for any legit discussion to take place. Exhaust all available resources.

There are motel chains in the US that house sex offenders. So, ya gotta check the registry because it most often won't be listed on those sites.

Forum List

Back