todays rant - end time prophecy

spectrumc01

I give you....the TRUTH
Feb 9, 2011
The United States
So tired, so, so tired of listening to the doom and gloom of end time prophecy I could just spit. I have the unfortunate position of working next to a born again christian for ten hours every day. Not just any born again christian but a ex-con born again christian. Let me tell you, this is enough to drive you crazy.

Everywhere he looks, is another sign that Jesus is on his way. There are wars and rumors of wars going on in the world today just like it was prophecised. They are now putting tracking devices in pets, so humans cannot be far behind, and you guessed it...the mark of the beast. Famine in Africa, and you need look no further than the US to see the outright persecution of Christians. Legalized abortion, no praying in schools, and the removal of the ten commandments from the courthouses. The false prophets of prosperity teaching ministers on TV, along with the child abuse scandal in the church. And so on, and so on, and so on, the litany is never ending.

I have a few things to say on this topic. The first being that if these people truly believed that the end is that near, what are they doing working? really, shouldn't they be out praying or something. Why are they saving for the future if they know there isn't any. The second thing is that even in the bible it states that no man will know the time or the hour of the end, so quit trying to see the end everywhere you look. WWII looked more like the end than anything we got going now. The third thing is all these people who believe that the end is near, wouldn't you think that they would be trying to live a better life, morally? Lastly for all those people donating money to Israel to fund the strife between Israel and Palestine. Stay the hell out of it. It's none of your business. The rebuilding of the Temple is not going to happen any time soon, and all the effort to make it happen in your life time is only causing more death on both sides. I wish someone would pull these preachers like Jack Van Impe off the air, they are just scam artists. "No one will be able to buy or sell without the mark of the beast, so buy my book now!!!" crock of shit.

You would think that they would be following Jesus' teaching, and trying to build a better world. Instead they gleefully wish and pray for the destruction of this world and the second comming. I just don't get it.

:eek: Goodness, are you chained to that guy? Do you at least have a meal period and breaks to give you a break?

Ah, of course it isn't a ten hour lecture everyday, is it? There would have to be some time to get some work done -

A long time ago I had a co-worker who would try to save me. Every time we met it was at least ten or fifteen minutes with him telling me what a great life he has. One time he told me that I will go to a church, when I die.

Right.

More recently another started talking about his relationship with his god, so I stopped reading the book (Brian Greene's The Fabric of the Cosmos Space, Time, and the Texture of Reality.) He picked up the book, and dropped it down, implying that I was some kind of fool or that I was wasting my time with such worldly knowledge - or something.

Hmmm - I went off topic a bit, didn't I?

It's been a while since I read Hal Lindsey's The Late Great Planet Earth when I was more religious. One thing that was supposed to happen was a massive earthquake that would put most of the US permanently under water - sometime in the late 1980's. There was a time I thought that surely 2000 would be the year for a drastic change.

Hey, I was close; September 11, 2001. :eusa_whistle:

While I am certainly not athiest... physics is quite the interesting thing, as is psychology, philosophy, yadda yadda yooo.

In paying more attention (or less) to 'religion' it seems as though there is a great movement to realign a legion. If we'd manipulate and maneuver things a tad bit more in any given direction... accordingly... we'd do something perhaps foolishly obsurd... like empower the people. Obviously, the fear of an uprising is always going to be an issue regardless of how small it appears.

talkhand-talk-to-the-hand-talk-hand-smiley-emoticon-000673-facebook.gif

:eek: Goodness, are you chained to that guy? Do you at least have a meal period and breaks to give you a break?

Ah, of course it isn't a ten hour lecture everyday, is it? There would have to be some time to get some work done -

A long time ago I had a co-worker who would try to save me. Every time we met it was at least ten or fifteen minutes with him telling me what a great life he has. One time he told me that I will go to a church, when I die.

Right.

More recently another started talking about his relationship with his god, so I stopped reading the book (Brian Greene's The Fabric of the Cosmos Space, Time, and the Texture of Reality.) He picked up the book, and dropped it down, implying that I was some kind of fool or that I was wasting my time with such worldly knowledge - or something.

Hmmm - I went off topic a bit, didn't I?

It's been a while since I read Hal Lindsey's The Late Great Planet Earth when I was more religious. One thing that was supposed to happen was a massive earthquake that would put most of the US permanently under water - sometime in the late 1980's. There was a time I thought that surely 2000 would be the year for a drastic change.

Hey, I was close; September 11, 2001. :eusa_whistle:

Production line...15 feet away all day.

"The tendency to claim God as an ally for our partisan value and ends is the source of all religious fanaticism." Reinhold Niebuhr

All people are atheists with one exception - their Gawd. There are so many false endtimes in history that you would think people would be a bit skeptical, but the religious are not skeptical, they know a truth you don't. Tongue in cheek: Maybe the best tactic would claim your own faith differs, and in it life improves as it has since the dark ages and you'd appreciate his respect. ;)

Long ago I worked a night shift with a man who was going to be a priest, I asked him the question Ivan asked in the 'Brother's Karamazov' and we discussed it, one night he looked so lost I decided it was an off topic, and never talked about it again. He became a priest in South America. http://www.usmessageboard.com/religion-and-ethics/51207-profound-question.html

"You are never dedicated to something you have complete confidence in. No one is fanatically shouting that the sun is going to rise tomorrow. They know it is going to rise tomorrow. When people are fanatically dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kinds of dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or goals are in doubt." Robert M. Pirsig

So tired, so, so tired of listening to the doom and gloom of end time prophecy I could just spit. I have the unfortunate position of working next to a born again christian for ten hours every day. Not just any born again christian but a ex-con born again christian. Let me tell you, this is enough to drive you crazy.

Everywhere he looks, is another sign that Jesus is on his way. There are wars and rumors of wars going on in the world today just like it was prophecised. They are now putting tracking devices in pets, so humans cannot be far behind, and you guessed it...the mark of the beast. Famine in Africa, and you need look no further than the US to see the outright persecution of Christians. Legalized abortion, no praying in schools, and the removal of the ten commandments from the courthouses. The false prophets of prosperity teaching ministers on TV, along with the child abuse scandal in the church. And so on, and so on, and so on, the litany is never ending.

I have a few things to say on this topic. The first being that if these people truly believed that the end is that near, what are they doing working? really, shouldn't they be out praying or something. Why are they saving for the future if they know there isn't any. The second thing is that even in the bible it states that no man will know the time or the hour of the end, so quit trying to see the end everywhere you look. WWII looked more like the end than anything we got going now. The third thing is all these people who believe that the end is near, wouldn't you think that they would be trying to live a better life, morally? Lastly for all those people donating money to Israel to fund the strife between Israel and Palestine. Stay the hell out of it. It's none of your business. The rebuilding of the Temple is not going to happen any time soon, and all the effort to make it happen in your life time is only causing more death on both sides. I wish someone would pull these preachers like Jack Van Impe off the air, they are just scam artists. "No one will be able to buy or sell without the mark of the beast, so buy my book now!!!" crock of shit.

You would think that they would be following Jesus' teaching, and trying to build a better world. Instead they gleefully wish and pray for the destruction of this world and the second comming. I just don't get it.

You don't get that many Christians are people who aren't into the real message of new Testament?

AFter reading their thoughts in places like this I'm of the opinion that most fundamentalists are basically lovers of authoritarianism along the model of the GOD of the Old Testament.

AFter all what is their version of GOD other than a very stean fatherly dicatator?

A world where they are the children and a fatherly figure GOD controls every aspect of their lives (and everybody elses) is what they want.

Hence they look forward to the end times when they believe that is going to happen.

tell him to hush....it really shocks them but they will hush

I do when he gets to be too much and he does. I should have said this earlier, and I regret not saying so.

This man is a good man overall with some rough edges but everyone has rough edges. His beliefs are his beliefs, but they tend to be very hypocritical, and he does point out that he is currently not in the faith as he should be.

I just find that his opinion that everyone is wrong but him and his faith.

gloom and doom? The end times are the most glorious days of existence. The end of times are when the Lord will stand by the righteous and usher in the millinium of peace and prosperity. When all the knowledge of the world will be gathered together. When the Children of Israel from all tribes will be gathered to meet their Lord. And when Zion shall be established once more in the land.

Sure there is some gloom. Not everyone who is alive will use the Atonement to repent of their sins and qualify for the blessings the Lord is pouring out upon us as a people. And they will end up facing the consequences for their actions (no matter how many try to pretend that there are none).

I rejoice at what is to come despite any sorrow that may be involved. Because in the end, there will be joy and happiness for 1000 years.

"The tendency to claim God as an ally for our partisan value and ends is the source of all religious fanaticism." Reinhold Niebuhr

All people are atheists with one exception - their Gawd. There are so many false endtimes in history that you would think people would be a bit skeptical, but the religious are not skeptical, they know a truth you don't. Tongue in cheek: Maybe the best tactic would claim your own faith differs, and in it life improves as it has since the dark ages and you'd appreciate his respect. ;)

Long ago I worked a night shift with a man who was going to be a priest, I asked him the question Ivan asked in the 'Brother's Karamazov' and we discussed it, one night he looked so lost I decided it was an off topic, and never talked about it again. He became a priest in South America. http://www.usmessageboard.com/religion-and-ethics/51207-profound-question.html

"You are never dedicated to something you have complete confidence in. No one is fanatically shouting that the sun is going to rise tomorrow. They know it is going to rise tomorrow. When people are fanatically dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kinds of dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or goals are in doubt." Robert M. Pirsig

Maybe God, if he exists, has left it to us to resolve the problem. Man's inhumanity to man should be our responsibility, not his. Do we not have the intellect? Do we not have the compassion? Why aren't we fixing the world's ills? Clearly this earth is not the place of love, hope, mercy, and justice that it should be. Maybe the question shouldn't be why does God allow this, but instead why do we allow this?

gloom and doom? The end times are the most glorious days of existence. The end of times are when the Lord will stand by the righteous and usher in the millinium of peace and prosperity. When all the knowledge of the world will be gathered together. When the Children of Israel from all tribes will be gathered to meet their Lord. And when Zion shall be established once more in the land.

Sure there is some gloom. Not everyone who is alive will use the Atonement to repent of their sins and qualify for the blessings the Lord is pouring out upon us as a people. And they will end up facing the consequences for their actions (no matter how many try to pretend that there are none).

I rejoice at what is to come despite any sorrow that may be involved. Because in the end, there will be joy and happiness for 1000 years.

"The Lord will stand by the righteous." Not every religion is right, but they all claim to be the 'righteous' that you refer to. They also claim that unless you follow them specifically you will not be among the 'righteous'. Organized religion spends too much time pointing out their differences among each another, and not enough time trying to get along with one another. They are more concerned with pointing out who will and won't get into heaven than actually living up to Gods expectations of us. I believe they are in for a big suprise in the end, when Muslims, Jews, Christians, and all other faiths stand in heaven and watch as their fellows fall. The sect of your religion will not get you into heaven, but what is in your heart might.

The correct answer.
Live today like there is no tomorrow.
Simple, eh ?

Not as simple as it sounds.

I used to live each day as it if were my last.

But people got tired of me constantly screaming: "I'm going to die! I'm going to die!"

Next time he goes off on a spate just tell him that Israel hasn't signed a 7 year peace treaty with it's neighbors, so the anti-christ hasn't been revealed, therefore quit worrying.

If he's a pre-tribber, he's got even less reason to worry. His faith says he won't be here anyway.

Forum List

Back