Today's garage sale gun finds

JGalt

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2011
There was a city-wide garage sale going on in a small town about an hour's drive from me. I always ask if they have any guns, gun parts, or ammunition and at the first sale the gentleman brought out a pistol in a holster. I don't think he intended to sell it at first but I asked what he would have to have to part with it. He said "$75 dollars" so I snarfed it up.

The pistol is a Belgian-made Lepage in 7.65mm (.32 ACP). It was made around 1920 and had the original leather holster. Apparently they're pretty rare, bringing up around $700.

Toward the end of the morning I stopped at another garage sale. I asked the lady if she had any guns and she said that she had a "45" that she'd take 25 dollars for. When she brought it out, it turned out to be a vintage Colt Cobra in 38 Special. I found a Youtube video when I got home so I could disassemble the Colt, because it has some rust mainly on the cylinder. I scrubbed the rust as best as I could with some CLP and a brass brush, but there's still rust on the cylinder. I'll probably bust leave it on there. I put five cylinders-full of rounds through it with no problems. It shoots sweetly, but sad that people don't take better care of their guns. The Colt is worth a bit of money but my wife has already claimed it.

Some pictures:

find1.jpg

find2.jpg

find3.jpg

find4.jpg

find5.jpg

find6.jpg

find7.jpg

find8.jpg

find9.jpg

find9a.jpg

find9b.jpg

find9c.jpg

Hey wait a minute! You mean you just went to garage sales and purchased weapons? With no background checks? Whoa! I'm beginning to think gun control laws might not be very effective.

Hey wait a minute! You mean you just went to garage sales and purchased weapons? With no background checks? Whoa! I'm beginning to think gun control laws might not be very effective.

I bought 14 of them 2 years ago at garage sales. They seldom put them on the table because many people don't know that it's legal to sell their personal firearms, as long as you don't knowingly sell to a felon or a minor. You just have to ask.

Evidently that Colt Cobra is dated 1965 by the serial number.

Last edited:
There was a city-wide garage sale going on in a small town about an hour's drive from me. I always ask if they have any guns, gun parts, or ammunition and at the first sale the gentleman brought out a pistol in a holster. I don't think he intended to sell it at first but I asked what he would have to have to part with it. He said "$75 dollars" so I snarfed it up.

The pistol is a Belgian-made Lepage in 7.65mm (.32 ACP). It was made around 1920 and had the original leather holster. Apparently they're pretty rare, bringing up around $700.

Toward the end of the morning I stopped at another garage sale. I asked the lady if she had any guns and she said that she had a "45" that she'd take 25 dollars for. When she brought it out, it turned out to be a vintage Colt Cobra in 38 Special. I found a Youtube video when I got home so I could disassemble the Colt, because it has some rust mainly on the cylinder. I scrubbed the rust as best as I could with some CLP and a brass brush, but there's still rust on the cylinder. I'll probably bust leave it on there. I put five cylinders-full of rounds through it with no problems. It shoots sweetly, but sad that people don't take better care of their guns. The Colt is worth a bit of money but my wife has already claimed it.

Some pictures:

find1.jpg

find2.jpg

find3.jpg

find4.jpg

find5.jpg

find6.jpg

find7.jpg

find8.jpg

find9.jpg

find9a.jpg

find9b.jpg

find9c.jpg
You’ll shoot your eye out

With no background checks you can turn around and sell the guns to gang bangers for hundreds of dollars

With no background checks you can turn around and sell the guns to gang bangers for hundreds of dollars

Actually the Lepage turned out to be pretty rare. After doing some research on it, it's worth somewhere in the $800-$1,000 range. The Colt is in pretty rough shape and is only worth about $350, but it's a good shooter.

My wife is keeping the Colt for the nightstand and the Lepage will be used for trade fodder at the next gun show.

Not bad for a $100 investment.

Forum List

Back