Today's American History lesson.

Completely irrelevant. If the Supreme Court ruled cannibalism was legal, would you show up with a bottle of A-1? Slavery was a moral wrong. Your side fought to preserve it.

Abortion is morally wrong but Constitutionally legal (Roe v. Wade).. yet your side fights to preserve it.

See how that works?

I've conceded that point. The dumb white trash fought so they cold have someone to look down on. And yes, you were all dumb enough to sign up to fight wars for rich people. It's positively Darwinian.

It had nothing to do with having someone to look down on. My grandmother fed 7 children through the Great Depression by picking cotton for a black sharecropper. She earned produce and groceries by cooking dinner for everyone. If it hadn't been for blacks who got 40 acres and a mule, I wouldn't be here because they would've starved to death.

And I am glad you bring up Darwinism because I'd like to point out that it was a purely Christian worldview that eliminated slavery. The abolition movement was started by Quaker ministers. You have two worldviews; One that says we are all equal in the eyes of our Creator... and another that says we evolved from the swamp and because of evolution, some are superior to others.

It had nothing to do with having someone to look down on. My grandmother fed 7 children through the Great Depression by picking cotton for a black sharecropper. She earned produce and groceries by cooking dinner for everyone. If it hadn't been for blacks who got 40 acres and a mule, I wouldn't be here because they would've starved to death.

40 Acres a Mule wasn't a thing that actually happened. It was another one of those broken promises.

And I am glad you bring up Darwinism because I'd like to point out that it was a purely Christian worldview that eliminated slavery. The abolition movement was started by Quaker ministers. You have two worldviews; One that says we are all equal in the eyes of our Creator... and another that says we evolved from the swamp and because of evolution, some are superior to others.

There were just as many churches that advocated for slavery, and just as many that were able to find QUOTES IN THE BIBLE justifying it.

Darwinism isn't a philosophy. It's SCIENCE. It's science you probably don't understand, but that's kind of not my problem. Religion is a lot of fairy tales.

So who are you going to believe, the guys who have fossils to back up their science, or the guys who cite the book with the talking snakes and the Giants in it?

Sorry, they are just as human as a slave in 1860.

No, a Slave was perfectly capable of living off a plantation. The fact that so many of them were running away from the plantations proved that.

MEANWHILE, a Fetus will die within seconds of leaving the womb if it is less than 6 months along, usually.

"Take down those ugly statues to murderers!"

I've got a better idea... let's leave them up and use them as a learning experience and to instil resilience in our youth. I think it's fundamentally important to teach tolerance and acceptance instead of victimhood. Statues and monuments do not exist necessarily to "celebrate" but rather to observe in remembrance. Case in point, we have a Vietnam War Memorial... is that a celebration of the war? Are we glorifying Vietnam? No, it's a very solemn place of remembrance and reflection.

40 Acres a Mule wasn't a thing that actually happened. It was another one of those broken promises.

It was a thing that happened, as I said, my grandmother worked for a sharecropper.

There were just as many churches that advocated for slavery...

Doesn't mean that abolition wasn't a Christian worldview.

No, a Slave was perfectly capable of living off a plantation.

Doesn't change what something IS.

"I have no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the institution of slavery in the States where it exists. I believe I have no lawful right to do so, and I have no inclination to do so."
...Lincoln's first Inaugural Address.
Makes sense doesn't it?
He was trying to preserve the union

The South was better at Capitalism. They took existing US law and turned it into a billion dollar per year enterprise. The North having slaves for all those 89 years could not do that.
You don't get better capitalism than free labor for life

You can argue about the northern states (colonies) dependence on cotton and their 200 hundred years of enriching northern industrial conglomerates with slave trade or you can argue that the alleged greatest politician in American history couldn't compromise and hold the Union together for another 30 years until the industrial revolution. Lincoln didn't save the union. His incompetence and arrogance caused the Union to fall apart.

I've got a better idea... let's leave them up and use them as a learning experience and to instil resilience in our youth. I think it's fundamentally important to teach tolerance and acceptance instead of victimhood. Statues and monuments do not exist necessarily to "celebrate" but rather to observe in remembrance. Case in point, we have a Vietnam War Memorial... is that a celebration of the war? Are we glorifying Vietnam? No, it's a very solemn place of remembrance and reflection.

Here's the thing about that. The guys who died in Vietnam were trying to protect a people from communist tyranny. Maybe it was misguided, but they fought for a good cause.

The guys who died for the Confederacy were fighting to defend slavery.

They don't deserve rememberance. They don't deserve honor.

More to the point, what we don't have are statues of Westmoreland or MacNamara or the other idiots who blundered us into Vietnam. We don't put a statue of them in the middle of a Vietnamese community to remind them of "Their place".

It was a thing that happened, as I said, my grandmother worked for a sharecropper.

YOu do realize that Sharecropping was just a way that white folks fucked the freed slaves, right. Read a fucking history book.

Doesn't mean that abolition wasn't a Christian worldview.

Except it wasn't. Some Christians thought - belatedly- that slavery was bad after supporting it for 1800 years. And some Christians supported it because the bible said so right up until the day it was abolished. And those same Christians then supported segregation and Jim Crow and Miscegenation laws and putting up statues of Klan Murderers to put those people in their place.

It was in fact a Catholic Churchman, Bartolome de la Casas, who advocated dragging Africans over here to start with because the Europeans were killing off the Natives too quickly.

Doesn't change what something IS.

Except Fetuses aren't capable of breating, eating, or even surviving on their own. So granting a fetus human rights makes the woman it is in a slave to the fetus.

And as a practical matter, a woman who doesn't want to be pregnant will find a way to not be pregnant.

You can argue about the northern states (colonies) dependence on cotton and their 200 hundred years of enriching northern industrial conglomerates with slave trade or you can argue that the alleged greatest politician in American history couldn't compromise and hold the Union together for another 30 years until the industrial revolution. Lincoln didn't save the union. His incompetence and arrogance caused the Union to fall apart.

When Republicans are reduced to denouncing Lincoln to apologize for Trump, they don't deserve to be a party anymore.

I many cases when Northern states ended slavery, instead of freeing their slaves, Northern slave owners sold them to Southern states. Money trumps ethics and morals again.

Scalawags and Scabs

Because the plutocratic parasites make us believe their wealth is earned after paying fair wages, we are blocked from realizing that the North wanted to free the slaves in order to hire them as cheaper labor too naturally passive ever to unionize. This didn't work out for the sweatshoppers because they had overestimated the worth of freed Black labor. We are told that questioning the North's motives is a Right Wing approach, but I take the lonely stand that if you're not a union man, you're not a man at all.

Because the plutocratic parasites make us believe their wealth is earned after paying fair wages, we are blocked from realizing that the North wanted to free the slaves in order to hire them as cheaper labor too naturally passive ever to unionize. This didn't work out for the sweatshoppers because they had overestimated the worth of freed Black labor. We are told that questioning the North's motives is a Right Wing approach, but I take the lonely stand that if you're not a union man, you're not a man at all.

I have three generations of union men in my family, and I have to say, unions have long outlived their usefulness.

Yankees had no problem using their ships to take those slave crops to Europe and sell them. It was all about Money.
Liberals Are Agents of the Right Wing; That's Why They Are Called "Limousine Liberals"

In the Second Reconstruction, MLK was hired to break up union solidarity by forced integration of disruptive elements into the workplace. The twin elitist parties prevent us from thinking along these lines.

In the Second Reconstruction, MLK was hired to break up union solidarity by forced integration of disruptive elements into the workplace. The twin elitist parties prevent us from thinking along these lines.

Really, what disruptive elements were those?

Here's the real reason why unions are in decline. Most Americans think they are perfectly capable of managing their own careers.

Secession was legal then. Not now.
Calgary Stampede

It's legal in many countries, such as Canada, the UK, and the former Czechoslovakia. But it takes a national referendum. Alberta may secede and join the USA, although we're never told that and it's hard for me to persuade people that our hired opinionators are unreliable sources.

Lincoln not only saved us but he made it possible to reunite

Greatest president ever

I have three generations of union men in my family, and I have to say, unions have long outlived their usefulness.
We miss them more than we realize

Wages and worker protections haven't been the same

Forum List

Back