Zone1 Today is the Day of Atonement. What does atonement mean to you?

onefour1

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2014
3 Nephi 9:18-22
18 I am the light and the life of the world. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end.
19 And ye shall offer up unto me no more the shedding of blood; yea, your sacrifices and your burnt offerings shall be done away, for I will accept none of your sacrifices and your burnt offerings.
20 And ye shall offer for a sacrifice unto me a broken heart and a contrite spirit. And whoso cometh unto me with a broken heart and a contrite spirit, him will I baptize with fire and with the Holy Ghost, even as the Lamanites, because of their faith in me at the time of their conversion, were baptized with fire and with the Holy Ghost, and they knew it not.
21 Behold, I have come unto the world to bring redemption unto the world, to save the world from sin.
22 Therefore, whoso repenteth and cometh unto me as a little child, him will I receive, for of such is the kingdom of God. Behold, for such I have laid down my life, and have taken it up again; therefore repent, and come unto me ye ends of the earth, and be saved.

This is what it's about.

The word Atonement really means at one ment with God. For the Christian who observes the Day, it symbolizes the Return of Christ (on Trumpets) and specifically, the binding of Satan and his demons. It symbolizes the time when he no longer infects Mankind with his spirit

18 I am the light and the life of the world. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end.
19 And ye shall offer up unto me no more the shedding of blood; yea, your sacrifices and your burnt offerings shall be done away, for I will accept none of your sacrifices and your burnt offerings.
20 And ye shall offer for a sacrifice unto me a broken heart and a contrite spirit. And whoso cometh unto me with a broken heart and a contrite spirit, him will I baptize with fire and with the Holy Ghost, even as the Lamanites, because of their faith in me at the time of their conversion, were baptized with fire and with the Holy Ghost, and they knew it not.
21 Behold, I have come unto the world to bring redemption unto the world, to save the world from sin.
22 Therefore, whoso repenteth and cometh unto me as a little child, him will I receive, for of such is the kingdom of God. Behold, for such I have laid down my life, and have taken it up again; therefore repent, and come unto me ye ends of the earth, and be saved.
To me it means thinking about the pain I've caused to other people through my actions or inactions.

I'm not Jewish. I don't do much guilt. Atonement is Amends or reparation made for an injury or wrong; expiation.

atone

With your sheet metal memory of Cannery Row
And your magazine husband who one day just had to go
And your gentleness now, which you just can't help but show
Who among them do you think would employ you?

Now you stand with your thief, you're on his parole
With your holy medallion in your fingertips now enfold
And your saintlike face and your ghostlike soul
Who among them could ever think he could destroy you?

Sad-eyed lady of the lowlands
Where the sad-eyed prophet says that no man comes
My warehouse eyes, my Arabian drums
Should I leave them by your gate, or sad-eyed lady, should I wait?

My Jewish friend describes the Day of Atonement or "Yom Kippur' as the most holy day in the Jewish calendar. Jews are expected to fast and pray, reflect on their misdeeds so that they may atone for their wrongdoings and seek forgiveness from God. Also those who forgive others who wronged them demonstrate both humility and noble character.

There is no comparable day, at least in most Christian traditions, on the Christian calendar. Atonement for Christians means that Christ atoned (paid the penalty) for the sins of humankind when he died on the cross, thus erasing our debts/sins to God and also the required penalty for those sins. It is the core concept of the Christian New Testament.
"For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16

Interesting to hear how Cultists cope with embarrassment and guilt .
That God leader of theirs is such a deceitful player . Manipulates the Gullibles forever. Apparently .

That God leader of theirs is such a deceitful player . Manipulates the Gullibles forever. Apparently .
What would you expect a true God to do?

Except you repent, you shall all likewise perish -- Jesus

To me personally, the atonement of Jesus Christ is the greatest act of love to be done on this earth or possibly in all eternity.

him will I receive, for of such is the kingdom of God ... therefore repent, and come unto me ye ends of the earth, and be saved.

the heavens are for who triumphs and sins no more, when accomplished no such thing exists for the sinless as repentance.

broken down sinful wrecks could make it, maybe ... though not - "for of such is the kingdom of god" .

Leviticus 16 is the best one chapter description of the Day of Atonement that I've found in the bible. For the most part, my fellow Christians don't have a clue as to it's significance to our own faith. A consequence of this ignorance is that so many churches get lost in all sorts of false doctrine. Few who read it even see Jesus in it. What do they believe the New Testament writers were referring to when they call Jesus the Lamb of God? There can be no true understanding of the New Testament without a firm foundation in the Old Testament.

Leviticus 16 is the best one chapter description of the Day of Atonement that I've found in the bible. For the most part, my fellow Christians don't have a clue as to it's significance to our own faith. A consequence of this ignorance is that so many churches get lost in all sorts of false doctrine. Few who read it even see Jesus in it. What do they believe the New Testament writers were referring to when they call Jesus the Lamb of God? There can be no true understanding of the New Testament without a firm foundation in the Old Testament.
It's great to see a FEW believers who understand this. I can tell this understanding was revealed by God and not by men.

Nephi must be in Joseph Smith's Bible.

Forum List

Back