Today in History

Auld Phart

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 3, 2013
1645644937001.png

I would definitely recommend "Flags of our Fathers" to learn more about these men. After reading that book, I will never forget some of their names. The author, James Bradley, is the son of the Navy Corpsman John Bradley, who was once thought to be in the original photo, and in 2006, he said as much in his book (which is excellent) but now it appears there is doubt, and he wasn't in the photo.

Those in the iconic photo were just reenacting the original flag raising

Nope, not a racist.
I grew up in the southwest and went to school with Indians and as an adult worked with and around Indians. So I know them well.
Alcoholism is rampant among them. In many cases their father is a drunk, so this their uncles and brothers. ... :cool-45:
Granted, Hayes was a drunk, but that's not all he was. He was a Marine, and not "just" anything. Have you ever read the story about what was done to his tribe? I'm sorry I don't have time to look it up right now. If he was "just a drunk Indian" to you, don't bother, but it's a heartbreaking story and says a lot about who Hayes was.

Last edited:
A.P. photographer Joe Rosenthal climbed Mt. Suribachi lugging a 4x5 Speed Graphic press camera when he met another reporter who told him that they had already raised the Flag. He went up and photographed the Marine work party that was assigned to raise a larger Flag that could be seen from the ships. He turned around and snapped off a shot and sent the film container to the ship for developing and it turned out to be the most iconic photo in history. Half the Flag raisers would be dead by the time the island was finally secured in March along with almost Seven Thousand other Marines. "Uncommon valor was a common virtue"....Adml Nimitz

Forum List

Back