To Keep Peace In Ferguson, Doj Bars Media From Town Hall Meetings

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
And to think. You voted for this. just get more unbelievable every day
People who lives in Missouri needs to contact YOUR GOVERNMENT
of course PMSnbc doesn't see anything wrong with this.

SNIP:
To keep peace in Ferguson, DOJ bars media from town hall meetings
09/22/14 05:17 PM—Updated 09/22/14 06:55 PM
0 save share group 56
By Trymaine Lee
City leaders in Ferguson, Missouri, have billed a series of upcoming town hall meetings beginning Monday night as a way to continue dialogue with members of the beleaguered community and an opportunity to clear up misconceptions still swirling a month after Ferguson police shot and killed unarmed black teenager Michael Brown.
In a statement that went out late last week, Mayor James Knowles said that he wanted use the meetings as a way to assure people that the city was operating with full transparency.
Knowles said that he wanted residents of Ferguson to “know exactly where we stand on things with full transparency.”
But at some point between then and now, the
Community Relations Service, a little-known agency within the Department of Justice that is working behind the scenes to cool racial tensions in the city, stepped in and closed off the meetings to the media and non-residents.
“The idea about no media came from the Department of Justice – not the city,” Devin James, a spokesman for the city told msnbc on Monday. “I could be wrong, but it is my understanding that they believe that the presence of media hinders and disrupts the conversation so that it is no longer productive and does not fulfill the purpose for which it was intended.”
James went on to write in an email that “I do not know what the DOJ representatives will do or say to you if you show up.”

“The city is not taking a position on whether members of media should attend or should be allowed to attend,” he said.

Members of the DOJ’s Community Relations Service will be facilitating the town hall meetings and have been in Ferguson from the outset of the riots and protests in the wake of Brown’s killing at the hands of Officer Darren Wilson on Aug. 9.
Sworn to secrecy in order to maintain trust among various stakeholders, the mediators, or “peacemakers,” quietly parachute into communities in the midst of turmoil associated with racial, religious or sexual discrimination.
When asked about the media being summarily shut out of the Ferguson meetings at the behest of the CRS, Dena Iverson, a spokeswoman with the DOJ, referred to the agency’s legislative mandate.

ALL of it here:
To keep peace in Ferguson DOJ bars media from town hall meetings MSNBC

That's a surprise. Then again maybe not.

If there are cameras present, the tendency is to play to the audience and act out for the cameras. If the DOJ doesn't want the country to see black people behaving badly then it makes perfect sense to bar cameras.

Closing off the meetings to non residents I can get behind. Will they honor that is my question.

That's a surprise. Then again maybe not.

If there are cameras present, the tendency is to play to the audience and act out for the cameras. If the DOJ doesn't want the country to see black people behaving badly then it makes perfect sense to bar cameras.

I don't know what it is, but if people are ok with this... from the MOST TRANSPARENT of all administrations EVA.

The DOJ shouldn't even be in the place. this is A STATE MATTER

Forum List

Back