To help Republicans reduce the budget...

RandomVariable

VIP Member
Jan 7, 2014
Republican's concern to reduce the budget are most noble so I thought I would start a little thread with some good ideas. Anyone else with suggestions please jump right in.

This I just happened to find first off:
U.S. Junk Food Subsidies Since 1995 Equal To Cost Of Nearly 52 Billion Twinkies: Study
Make no mistake, the U.S. federal government is doing everything it can to make sure your junk food urges are fulfilled on the cheap.

A new study, conducted by a federation of state Public Interest Research Groups, or U.S. PIRG, finds that the U.S. government has spent $19.2 billion subsidizing corn and soy junk food ingredients since 1995. That completely dwarfs the $689 million allotted for Apple subsidies over that period, even though apples are the only fruit or vegetable to receive a substantial government subsidy.

To put that into perspective, U.S. PIRG notes, the money spent on junk food subsidies since 1995 is enough to buy nearly 52 billion Twinkies, which, if laid out end to end, could encircle the globe 132 times. The recently-rereleased Twinkie is made with 17 taxpayer-subsidized ingredients, including corn starch, corn syrup and vegetable shortening.

Let's see, who was president in 1995? Once you authorize subsidies it's really hard to withdraw them especially if the media isn't on your side.

Hemp%20for%20Victory%20-%201942%20-%20Special%20tax%20stamp%20-%20producer%20of%20marihuana.jpg

Hemp seed is healthier than corn or soy, uses fewer pesticides and chemicals, reduces harmful pollution as it is growing, and the seed supply cannot be controlled by Monsanto.

These are subsidies for agricultural crops - they aren't subsidizing junk food. Corn is not a junk food.

What a dishonest post.

These are subsidies for agricultural crops - they aren't subsidizing junk food. Corn is not a junk food.

What a dishonest post.

Apples to Twinkies 2013 | U.S. PIRG
Taxpayers spent $84.4 billion on corn production, $8.1 billion of which funded production of corn starch and sweeteners. Of the total domestic corn produced, 9.6 percent ended up in junk food and beverages as sweeteners or thickeners.

What a dishonest post.

Taxpayers spent $84.4 billion on corn production, $8.1 billion of which funded production of corn starch and sweeteners. Of the total domestic corn produced, 9.6 percent ended up in junk food and beverages as sweeteners or thickeners.

and 90.4% DID NOT

What a dishonest post.

and 90.4% DID NOT

It is not saying don't spend tens of billions in corn subsidies. Just spend $76.3 billion. Can't wait till I get next budget cutting suggestion.

I appreciate many things that the government does, such as providing police service, but I have to question some of the ways that the government spends my money. We all remember Alaska’s bridge to nowhere, but how about these things that are still going on.
The government spends over $113,277 for video games so that they can study the impact of video games on people’s lives. In funding the project, the government says they need to conduct a detailed conservation survey. Does someone want to tell me what that means?
There is nothing I like more than to go out to a great meal at a restaurant, but can you explain to me why the United States government needs to fund an Indonesian cooking show. Your tax money and mine funded this project to the tune of $100,000.

Last edited:
I appreciate many things that the government does, such as providing police service, but I have to question some of the ways that the government spends my money. We all remember Alaska’s bridge to nowhere, but how about these things that are still going on.
The government spends over $113,277 for video games so that they can study the impact of video games on people’s lives. In funding the project, the government says they need to conduct a detailed conservation survey. Does someone want to tell me what that means?
There is nothing I like more than to go out to a great meal at a restaurant, but can you explain to me why the United States government needs to fund an Indonesian cooking show. Your tax money and mine funded this project to the tune of $100,000.

I would say there are three sides to this coin. One is that which the government does which is basically a good thing, another is that which is well meant but is done inefficiently, then there is the third side, that which is not in the country's best interest and not in public view. Coming to an agreement as to where any particular activity falls is difficult at best. No one can come to an agreement when no one knows about the activity. There seems to be a much greater effort to go after the first than the second and practically no one interested in the third.

Forum List

Back