TN visa holders

solarflow

Rookie
Nov 18, 2016
Just curious what Americans think about TN permit holders from Canada working in the US?

I'm one of the ones that left Canada to work in the SF bay area for a high tech company, i've seen and heard a lot about how so many companies are abusing the system with H1Bs, and another one I know about is the L1 intercompany transfer visa. Its avoids the whole H1B altogether, the “Microsoft Canada Excellence Centre” being a good example of that. I'm happy Trump plans to stop this and other abuses that have been getting out of control, and will hopefully set a minimum pay they are allowed to hire someone on a visa. TN-1 visas aren't part of all this and nothing has been said about them, how do you Americans feel about someone from Canada coming here to work?

TN status - Wikipedia

I've never heard of this visa, but a quick read of your link seems to indicate such a person has to present some kind of legitimate paperwork to an official authority that would allow the person legal entry into to the US to work for a limited period of time. I have no issues with legal entry into the US ... it's the illegal entry of undocumented aliens that irritates me ... particularly when my tax dollars have to support them. Come here legally ... welcome to America.

I originally came to work on a TN visa, then went to an H1-B, then a green card, and finally citizenship.

In the nearly 20 years I've been in the US, I've never once heard of any complaining about a TN visa.

Americans generally like Canadians.

But if I had a TN, I'd be looking for a way to get an H so I could get a green card. With Trump wanting to change or do away with NAFTA, the TN status could go.

Forum List

Back