Time to start closing the 800 foreign military bases

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2014
The Southwestern Desert
That's right nearly 800 foreign bases. This is another example of and out of control government expansion. We're pulling troops out of Syria and Afghanistan, so stay with that theme Mr President and let's close half of these foreign bases, reassess and then close more. Here is a factoid from the interweb:

"Despite recently closing hundreds of bases in Iraq and Afghanistan, the United States still maintains nearly 800 military bases in more than 70 countries and territories abroad—from giant “Little Americas” to small radar facilities. Britain, France and Russia, by contrast, have about 30 foreign bases combined."

That's right nearly 800 foreign bases. This is another example of and out of control government expansion. We're pulling troops out of Syria and Afghanistan, so stay with that theme Mr President and let's close half of these foreign bases, reassess and then close more. Here is a factoid from the interweb:

"Despite recently closing hundreds of bases in Iraq and Afghanistan, the United States still maintains nearly 800 military bases in more than 70 countries and territories abroad—from giant “Little Americas” to small radar facilities. Britain, France and Russia, by contrast, have about 30 foreign bases combined."

Should we have a lottery- a big wheel spin- to decide which bases to close?

I am not totally disagreeing with you- I am saying you have just said close them down and provided no criteria to do so- so on that basis- it would appear you would favor a big spinning wheel numbered 1-800.

Or you could provide some thoughtful criteria as to which bases to close.

I am not totally disagreeing with you- I am saying you have just said close them down and provided no criteria to do so- so on that basis- it would appear you would favor a big spinning wheel numbered 1-800.

We could move those troops to our border between Texas and Mexico. Then we could have a 'wall' of trained armed people side by side 5 deep facing the Orcs. After all, we're already paying them, so the actual cost would be minimal. The cost of shutting down and bringing equipment home may be a big bite, but a one time expense that could be covered by all the taxes from employees of businesses returning from off-shore locations and the resurgence of coal-fired utilities and furnaces. It wouldn't take much to restore the old coal bin in my basement, but changing the furnace and water heater might be a bit much. Not only that...my Dad delivered coal back in the 30s when it had to be shoveled off the truck onto chutes into the basement, and while a dirty job, it was a steady one.

Sure, bring the troops home for Christmas ......oh and .....all i want is a 5Bil wall too.....~S~

You evidently are void on military strategy.;

We could move those troops to our border between Texas and Mexico. Then we could have a 'wall' of trained armed people side by side 5 deep facing the Orcs. After all, we're already paying them, so the actual cost would be minimal. The cost of shutting down and bringing equipment home may be a big bite, but a one time expense that could be covered by all the taxes from employees of businesses returning from off-shore locations and the resurgence of coal-fired utilities and furnaces. It wouldn't take much to restore the old coal bin in my basement, but changing the furnace and water heater might be a bit much. Not only that...my Dad delivered coal back in the 30s when it had to be shoveled off the truck onto chutes into the basement, and while a dirty job, it was a steady one.
Dream on...

Dream on...
My dreams are not important to America. What's important is...what are Rush Limbaugh and Ann Coulter's dreams? It is evident that THEY are running foreign policy.

Yes, and you will find out that "Air Force base" we had in the Egyptian desert, next to the Red Sea during Desert Storm to fly in supplies for our ships, was comprised of a tent, a radio and a generator.

Most of those "bases" are a building on the corner of some foreign military outpost. I once was assigned to a "base" that didn't even take up the first floor of a building in an office park.

Where in the World Is the U.S. Military? @ Where in the World Is the U.S. Military?

backpage-11601.jpg

This image is hard to see here but easily read on the linked site.

Burkina Faso?

By my calculation, maintaining bases and troops overseas cost $85 to $100 billion in fiscal year 2014; the total with bases and troops in warzones is $160 to $200 billion.

I wonder why we have so many bases in Africa and so few in Central and South America. That seems to me to be the biggest threat to national security.

Forum List

Back