Time to push for the line item veto again.

Skull Pilot

Diamond Member
Nov 17, 2007
With all the talk and rhetoric of the campaign being the same old crap, it's time for us as citizens to push for a Constitutional amendment for the line item veto.

Supreme Court Strikes Down Line-Item Veto - June 25, 1998

As it stands a president can only sign or veto an entire bill and pork barrel spending is out of control. It is time to reign in congress.

Armed with a tool such as the line item veto we may see a president who can truly achieve change.

With all the talk and rhetoric of the campaign being the same old crap, it's time for us as citizens to push for a Constitutional amendment for the line item veto.

As it stands a president can only sign or veto an entire bill and pork barrel spending is out of control. It is time to reign in congress.

Armed with a tool such as the line item veto we may see a president who can truly achieve change.

This Average Joe thinks it is a good idea...

-Joe

Unconstitutional. There is no way it can ever be made Constitutional without an amendment.

It infringes on the power of Congress in direct opposition to the Constitution.

Unconstitutional. There is no way it can ever be made Constitutional without an amendment.

It infringes on the power of Congress in direct opposition to the Constitution.

yes, we need an amendment to do it and sadly something that is definitely good for the public will never happen because congress will never allow it.

that's government "by the people" for you.

Since SCOTUS says its illegal, why try again? My advice to a Prez who didn't like one particular item on a consolidated Bill would be to veto the whole thing with a note back to congress to remove that single provision and then it would be signed.

Since SCOTUS says its illegal, why try again? My advice to a Prez who didn't like one particular item on a consolidated Bill would be to veto the whole thing with a note back to congress to remove that single provision and then it would be signed.

then congress just overrides the veto so the fat cats can still fill the pork barrel.

i know this is just wishful thinking but I don't know any other way to stop wasteful spending. face it, we will never have a president who will veto a good bill for one or two lines of pork.

wouldn't it be refreshing to see a pres. who will veto a bill, call an immediate press conference and name all the porkers who tried to waste our tax dollars?

hey, i can dream can't I?

yes, we need an amendment to do it and sadly something that is definitely good for the public will never happen because congress will never allow it.

that's government "by the people" for you.

I do not agree that such an amendment would be good for the Country. A president with that power could totally change the meaning and intent of any and all bills sent to him for signature.

then congress just overrides the veto so the fat cats can still fill the pork barrel.

i know this is just wishful thinking but I don't know any other way to stop wasteful spending. face it, we will never have a president who will veto a good bill for one or two lines of pork.

wouldn't it be refreshing to see a pres. who will veto a bill, call an immediate press conference and name all the porkers who tried to waste our tax dollars?

hey, i can dream can't I?
An Override takes more votes than they normally have, especially if the Prez uses his bully pulpit to tell the People why they are attempting it.

No I think that plan would work well. As part of your campaign or at the beginning of your administration, you lay this out as policy. That way when it occurs you simply follow the protocol laid out, keeping the focus on the pork, and how completely separate it is from the actual Bill. You'd expose the corruption and be a hero.

That's basically what McCain's said he's going to do, by the way. He'd said he'd veto pork barrel legislation.

An Override takes more votes than they normally have, especially if the Prez uses his bully pulpit to tell the People why they are attempting it.

No I think that plan would work well. As part of your campaign or at the beginning of your administration, you lay this out as policy. That way when it occurs you simply follow the protocol laid out, keeping the focus on the pork, and how completely separate it is from the actual Bill. You'd expose the corruption and be a hero.

That's basically what McCain's said he's going to do, by the way. He'd said he'd veto pork barrel legislation.

yeah so he says. do you believe it? I sure don't.

SCOTUS ruled in unconstitutional.

And anyway, for some strange reason, when we had a Democratic president the government seemed to be able to be cost efficient and fiscally responsible.

funny the right didn't think it was "good for the public" when Bill Clinton wanted a line item veto, did it?

since I'm not "the right" but rather an independent, I support the concept no matter who is pres.

If it was ruled unconstitutional in 1998, did Clinto have it?

I think a line item veto is a great idea personally. It keeps Congress from slipping shit into a bill that is completely unrelated in an effort to force policy they want by inacting a form of blackmail.

ie: it's all or nothing....

If it was ruled unconstitutional in 1998, did Clinto have it?

I think a line item veto is a great idea personally. It keeps Congress from slipping shit into a bill that is completely unrelated in an effort to force policy they want by inacting a form of blackmail.

ie: it's all or nothing....

As far as I know it hasn't been employed by any president. A LOT of state governors have access to that tool, however.

-J

Bad idea.

What WOULD be a good idea is to craft a law that makes each spending policy, every earmark and so forth be its OWN LAW, and not allow Congress to insinuate these pork chops into bills that are really entirely about something else.

Putting earmarks in bills that people really must vote for is corrupt.

BOTH parties do this, BTW.

Bad idea.

What WOULD be a good idea is to craft a law that makes each spending policy, every earmark and so forth be its OWN LAW, and not allow Congress to insinuate these pork chops into bills that are really entirely about something else.

Putting earmarks in bills that people really must vote for is corrupt.

BOTH parties do this, BTW.

This sounds like an idea with potential.

-J

Forum List

Back