Time to privatize libraries

shintao

Take Down ~ Tap Out
Aug 27, 2010
Looks like public libraries are going down the drain as people move to the internet and city budgets are being shredded. Americans might find their next book will have to come from a book store, or pay a hefty fee to use a privatitized library. My library carrys all the news papers, records, cds, dvds, movies, tons of archives, etc. besides books, and sponsors reading events for all ages. Soon to be gone I am afraid.

Something has to give, so what do you think? Shouldn't the federal government bail them out like they did Wallstreet?

Sheboygan, Wis. (WHBL) - The Mead Public Library is in danger of losing its membership in the Eastern Shores Library System because of budget cuts made last month. The library budget is about $162,000 short of what is required to qualify for the shared services it gets from other libraries through Eastern Shores.

New York City’s three library systems took a disproportionate hit in the $63.6-billion budget proposal released by Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg January 28. In order to close a $4.9-billion deficit for FY2011, the plan makes $1.6 billion in reductions to city agencies. Of the 834 job cuts, 299—more than one-third—would come from library staff, prompting the New York Times to call libraries “the biggest loser” in the budget. Additionally, the plan calls for another 135 library jobs to be lost by attrition.

Last edited:
Fuck no. Fuck, no.

Libraries are the biggest repositories of human information outside the internet. Why would anybody want to get rid of them?

Fuck no. Fuck, no.

Libraries are the biggest repositories of human information outside the internet. Why would anybody want to get rid of them?

And hoarders come in third. What's your point?

Hoarders.png

Put written words on dead trees in museums.

Of course we could write it on living trees, and call it "The Living Word." John Cash has a song called talking leaves.

I am thinking, like post offices, with the advent of the internet, they are no longer needed. A few yougin's in our family have never been to a library to do school work,...it is all done on the computer, research & all for assignments.

It maybe a good or bad thing if the power goes out or the ultimate virus eats cyberspace of all information.

Last edited:
"It is only when the people become ignorant and corrupt, when they degenerate into a populace, that they are incapable of exercising the sovereignty. Usurpation is then an easy attainment... Let us by all wise and constitutional measures promote intelligence among the people as the best means of preserving our liberties." -- James Monroe; 'First Inaugural Address'

Fuck no. Fuck, no.

ahhh, as the articles state, we cannot afford them anymore. They are an idea that has come and past. I doubt a private firm would take them over, and be able to make a profit. They are a good place for the homeless to get out of the rain I guess.

Looks like public libraries are going down the drain as people move to the internet and city budgets are being shredded. Americans might find their next book will have to come from a book store, or pay a hefty fee to use a privatitized library. My library carrys all the news papers, records, cds, dvds, movies, tons of archives, etc. besides books, and sponsors reading events for all ages. Soon to be gone I am afraid.

Something has to give, so what do you think? Shouldn't the federal government bail them out like they did Wallstreet?

Sheboygan, Wis. (WHBL) - The Mead Public Library is in danger of losing its membership in the Eastern Shores Library System because of budget cuts made last month. The library budget is about $162,000 short of what is required to qualify for the shared services it gets from other libraries through Eastern Shores.

New York City’s three library systems took a disproportionate hit in the $63.6-billion budget proposal released by Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg January 28. In order to close a $4.9-billion deficit for FY2011, the plan makes $1.6 billion in reductions to city agencies. Of the 834 job cuts, 299—more than one-third—would come from library staff, prompting the New York Times to call libraries “the biggest loser” in the budget. Additionally, the plan calls for another 135 library jobs to be lost by attrition.

That is a stupid fucking idea. Benjamin Franklin should be rolling in his grave. You are an idiot.

"It is only when the people become ignorant and corrupt, when they degenerate into a populace, that they are incapable of exercising the sovereignty. Usurpation is then an easy attainment... Let us by all wise and constitutional measures promote intelligence among the people as the best means of preserving our liberties." -- James Monroe; 'First Inaugural Address'

I was just thinking that libraries should be a main target for terrorist to bomb. Keep people away from knowledge, the bibles & religion, etc., everything they hate is there including freedom to read and learn to read.

That is a stupid fucking idea. Benjamin Franklin should be rolling in his grave. You are an idiot.

Well dumb fuck, it isn't my fucking idea!!! It is happening Huggysucky & you are an imbecile not to see the writing on the fucking wall. So what you going to do about it huggy.

I was just thinking that libraries should be a main target for terrorist to bomb. Keep people away from knowledge, the bibles & religion, etc., everything they hate is there including freedom to read and learn to read.

This post is even dumber. You should spend more time in a library and less on the internet.
Not everybody has a computer quif. The ones in Seattle are full of people trying to better themselves. The computers there are almost always busy. You want to charge the poorest of our population to gain knowledge? Fuck you.

This post is even dumber. You should spend more time in a library and less on the internet.
Not everybody has a computer quif. The ones in Seattle are full of people trying to better themselves. The computers there are almost always busy. You want to charge the poorest of our population to gain knowledge? Fuck you.

Nah, your dumber than this post, and still you haven't found a solution to keeping them open to the public. I don't want to charge anyone huggy, but the fact is no corporation is going to do it for free if they take the libraries over. They are in business to make $$$$.

Now we could just leave the doors wide open with no electricity, and put people on their honor not to steal the books. That would work huggy.

The only other option, which the citys seem to be taking is close the doors and lock it up to some future time when money flows again. That what you want Huggy?

You decide. Oh, and eat mah shorts asshole!!

Last edited:
Without the library, the assclown that started this thread wouldn't be able to post here

Suck mah nuts. And get back down there in Graham's basement. You are needed on a couch end.

Forum List

Back