Zone1 Time to accept Jane Fonda's apology? Maybe.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the problems with left wing politics is that there is no forgiveness.......apologizing is simply seen as admitting guilt, and then allowing your destruction.........John Nolte makes a case that it is time to forgive Jane, and to learn to accept apologies again.....

But after 35 years of apologies, isn’t it time to forgive and move on? Should someone who has repeatedly apologized over four decades still be called on the carpet and asked to continue to explain herself?

I don’t think so, and I say that as someone who is not a fan of Jane Fonda the person. In-person, she never fails to strike me as anything other than boorish with her exhausting politicking. On the other hand, she’s one of the greatest actresses who has ever lived—so good I forget how much I dislike her. But back to the apology…

What I want to do is use Fonda to make a bigger point about apologies…

I will tell you right now that half the problems in this country stem from refusals to accept apologies.

All of America’s manufactured racial problems come down to a group of leftists (of all colors) who refuse to forgive and move on when it comes to slavery and Jim Crow. It’s not enough that hundreds of thousands of white Americans died to settle the matter of slavery. It’s not enough that after 5,000 generations where slavery was accepted as normal, it was Western Civilization that put an end to it. It’s not enough that two Constitutional amendments were passed to end American discrimination or that a black president was elected and re-elected, or that no American living today has ever owned or been a slave.

Why is it not enough?

The real crime here is referring to Fonda as "one of the greatest actresses who has ever lived". That's simply not true in any universe.

Jane Fonda apologized if some of her words hurt the feelings of veterans, and she apologized for the AA gun photo op, which she admitted was a bad look.

She shouldn't apologize for opposing the war in Vietnam, everyone today agrees that was a terrible idea.
HER actions brought torture to POWs...it's one thing to protest the war, it's another to bring harm to
soldiers though her actions.

Here's the problem.

Ultimately, Jane Fonda was right. The war in Vietnam was a terrible idea and almost no one today actually claims otherwise. Democrats blame Ike and Nixon, Republicans blame JFK and LBJ. No one really wants credit for the policy.

If it weren't for protestors like Fonda, the Vietnam War would have dragged on for decades like Afghanistan did (where no one really questioned it because everyone involved was a volunteer and the rest of us meekly "Supported the troops" without questioning the policy.)

Despite that, Fonda became Box Office Poison by 1985 when Americans settled into their own version of the Dolchstoßlegende and concluded that we "lost" Vietnam not because we were trying to impose a government on the Vietnamese they didn't want, but because the hippies stabbed the brave troops in the back.

This is quite a bit different than merely apologizing for 400 years of slavery and Jim Crow. Merely apologizing isn't enough, we need to do something to make it right.
You can be anti-war and protest a war without appearing with the enemy for a propaganda shoot while our troops are in danger. That crosses a line.

Here's the problem.

Ultimately, Jane Fonda was right. The war in Vietnam was a terrible idea and almost no one today actually claims otherwise. Democrats blame Ike and Nixon, Republicans blame JFK and LBJ. No one really wants credit for the policy.

If it weren't for protestors like Fonda, the Vietnam War would have dragged on for decades like Afghanistan did (where no one really questioned it because everyone involved was a volunteer and the rest of us meekly "Supported the troops" without questioning the policy.)

Despite that, Fonda became Box Office Poison by 1985 when Americans settled into their own version of the Dolchstoßlegende and concluded that we "lost" Vietnam not because we were trying to impose a government on the Vietnamese they didn't want, but because the hippies stabbed the brave troops in the back.

This is quite a bit different than merely apologizing for 400 years of slavery and Jim Crow. Merely apologizing isn't enough, we need to do something to make it right.
As she sat on an NVA anti-aircraft gun she said " I wish I had one of those suckers in my sight now". Suckers being a US aviator.
Kindly put your lips on may arse and kiss away!

Here's the problem.

You dont know what you are talking about......she had massive hit movies....Coming home......Electric Cowboy......On golden pond and 9 to 5 as well as a booming exerxise video series that set the tone for fitness in the 80s

When there, POW(s) handed her notes secretly which she quickly turned over
to the enemy. Just say it didn't go well for those who did.

Sorry, man, that's a myth.

Although Fonda's actions in visiting North Vietnam were sufficient to earn her the wrath of many Americans, in the years since those events took place they have been embellished to the point that the one tale most commonly associated with her Vietnam trip is an incident that never took place — a tale about U.S. POWs who furtively slipped messages to Fonda while she was meeting with them and whom Fonda promptly betrayed by turning those messages over to the POWs' North Vietnamese captors (resulting in several of those prisoners' being beaten, tortured, or killed):

The facts are that while in North Vietnam, Fonda met with only a single group of seven U.S POWs: all seven of those POWs agreed to meet with her, no POWs were tortured for declining to meet with her (or for behaving inappropriately during the meeting), and no POWs secretly slipped Fonda messages which she turned over to the North Vietnamese. The persons named in inflammatory claims about this alleged incident have repeatedly and categorically denied the events they supposedly were part of.

Some of the POWs who actually did meet with Jane Fonda, such as Edison Miller, have spoken out on the record over the years to disclaim the apocryphal stories about her

"The whole [e-mail] story about Jane Fonda is just malarkey," said Edison Miller, 73, of California, a former Marine Corps pilot held more than five years. Miller was among seven POWs who met with Fonda in Hanoi. He said he didn't recall her asking any questions other than about their names, if that. He said that he passed her no piece of paper, and that to his knowledge, no other POW in the group did, despite the e-mail's claims.
Col. Larry Carrigan, the U.S. serviceman whose name is invoked in the e-mailed reproduced at the head of this article, has affirmed that he neither claimed nor experienced any of what has been attributed to him, and that he never even met Jane Fonda:

You dont know what you are talking about......she had massive hit movies....Coming home......Electric Cowboy......On golden pond and 9 to 5 as well as a booming exerxise video series that set the tone for fitness in the 80s

And by 1985, her career was pretty much done, because no one would hire her. We've been over this.

That to me is far more damning.

I leave it to the people who served over there during that time to pass final judgement on her.
See Post #28. Simply not true.
HER actions brought torture to POWs...it's one thing to protest the war, it's another to bring harm to
soldiers though her actions.
See post #28, simply not true.
As she sat on an NVA anti-aircraft gun she said " I wish I had one of those suckers in my sight now". Suckers being a US aviator.
Kindly put your lips on may arse and kiss away!

While she sat on an NVA anti-aircraft gun, she never said anything of the sort.

Since then, Fonda has apologized repeatedly for the “Hanoi Jane” photo, and clarified that her actions during the Vietnam War were in protest of the U.S. government and not against soldiers. She addressed the photo in her 2005 memoir My Life So Far:

Here is my best, honest recollection of what took place. Someone (I don’t remember who) leads me toward the gun, and I sit down, still laughing, still applauding. It all has nothing to do with where I am sitting. I hardly even think about where I am sitting. The cameras flash. I get up, and as I start to walk back to the car with the translator, the implication of what has just happened hits me. Oh, my God. It’s going to look like I was trying to shoot down U.S. planes! I plead with him, “You have to be sure those photographs are not published. Please, you can’t let them be published.” I am assured it will be taken care of. I don’t know what else to do. It is possible that the Vietnamese had it all planned. I will never know. If they did, can I really blame them? The buck stops here. If I was used, I allowed it to happen. It was my mistake, and I have paid and continue to pay a heavy price for it.

If you look at the film, she doesn't handle the control or look into the site. She sits in the gunner's chair, and then almost immediately gets up.

And by 1985, her career was pretty much done, because no one would hire her. We've been over this.

Her career, after the hit movies Electric Cowbiy, 9-5, Coming Home,and On Golden Pond.....all hits
after her treason......came to the natural decline that happens to all actors.....as seen by all the direct to video movies by Bruce Willis and Robert deniro...

not to forget the Jane Fonda work out video sensation...

You are making a case not supported by the teuth, facts or reality

There are things that a person can do that is not forgivable in a sense that what they did is so egregious that it can't merit acceptance.
If she would have apologized - and then changed her ways - that would be one thing. But she has said 100s of things over the years that backs up her original action.

So yeah... Nolte is wrong. She has never shown she is actually sorry for what she did.

Her career, after the hit movies Electric Cowbiy, 9-5, Coming Home,and On Golden Pond.....all hits
after her treason......came to the natural decline that happens to all actors.....as seen by all the direct to video movies by Bruce Willis and Robert deniro...

Look at her IMDB Page.

Here career is pretty much over after 1981. This is the same time Ronald Reagan got elected on the "Stabbed in the Back" myth and Hollywood was cranking out shit like the Rambo movies repeating the lie that we lost in Vietnam because the peace movement stabbed us in the back. On Golden Pond is pretty much her last big project.

After 1981, she does mostly art pictures until she completely disappears in 1990 and doesn't show up again until 2005.

Now compare that to Bruce Willis.

The man has done several projects every year since he came on the scene in 1985 with Moonlighting and really broke out with the Die Hard movies. He has recently cashed in doing a bunch of direct to video movies where he put in minimum effort, but this is because his medical condition limited how much work he could do.

not to forget the Jane Fonda work out video sensation...

They were pretty forgettable.

You are making a case not supported by the teuth, facts or reality

Except I made my case pretty well.

Jane should apologize in advance for all the nonbiodegradable plastic she will be contributing to environment when she is buried.

There are things that a person can do that is not forgivable in a sense that what they did is so egregious that it can't merit acceptance.
If she would have apologized - and then changed her ways - that would be one thing. But she has said 100s of things over the years that backs up her original action.

So yeah... Nolte is wrong. She has never shown she is actually sorry for what she did.

Actually, if ANYTHING, history has proven her right.

Almost nobody today thinks that the Vietnam War was a good idea. If we think about Vietnam Veterans at all, it's about what a shitty deal they got. (Although not really, they got all the advantages other veterans got.) Oh, boo hoo, nobody gave us a parade like the WWII vets got. Except most WWII vets didn't get parades, either. They just mustered out and had to deal with their PTSD, but no one had a name for it back then.

The fact that Fonda's haters had to make shit up like she turned over notes from POW's (didn't happen) or that she wished she could shoot down American Aviators (she never said that and immediately regretted being photographed with an AA gun.)

So damn you, Jane Fonda, for being right. The last thing anyone ever wants to hear is "I told you so!"

One of the problems with left wing politics is that there is no forgiveness.......apologizing is simply seen as admitting guilt, and then allowing your destruction.........John Nolte makes a case that it is time to forgive Jane, and to learn to accept apologies again.....

But after 35 years of apologies, isn’t it time to forgive and move on? Should someone who has repeatedly apologized over four decades still be called on the carpet and asked to continue to explain herself?

I don’t think so, and I say that as someone who is not a fan of Jane Fonda the person. In-person, she never fails to strike me as anything other than boorish with her exhausting politicking. On the other hand, she’s one of the greatest actresses who has ever lived—so good I forget how much I dislike her. But back to the apology…

What I want to do is use Fonda to make a bigger point about apologies…

I will tell you right now that half the problems in this country stem from refusals to accept apologies.

All of America’s manufactured racial problems come down to a group of leftists (of all colors) who refuse to forgive and move on when it comes to slavery and Jim Crow. It’s not enough that hundreds of thousands of white Americans died to settle the matter of slavery. It’s not enough that after 5,000 generations where slavery was accepted as normal, it was Western Civilization that put an end to it. It’s not enough that two Constitutional amendments were passed to end American discrimination or that a black president was elected and re-elected, or that no American living today has ever owned or been a slave.

Why is it not enough?

About Fonda I disagree

I believe her only regret about what she did in north vietnam is that the American public reacted so strongly against her and damaged her career

Let her take her shame to her grave

First I'm not even sure she has that much "plastic" in her body. (Hint, "Plastic Surgery" doesn't actually involve plastic).
Sure it does. You never heard of implants?

Cheek implants chin implants butt implants calf implants the ever popular breast implants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back