"Til Death Do Us Part" - Or Not

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
Love and Sex Without Promises
by Janice Shaw Crouse, Human Events
February 24, 2006

We just returned from a vacation at places favored by couples –– some on weekend getaways, others honeymooning. We enjoy seeing couples holding hands and stealing kisses. But sadly, growing numbers of couples on getaways together have nothing on their ring fingers. These couples, no doubt, think that their love can survive without promises and commitment, but love requires exclusivity. Love is not love if it doesn't insist "I am yours; you are mine."

Popular songs used to have lyrics like "love and marriage go together like a horse and carriage . . . you can't have one without the other." But "progressives" have tried to disavow the connection between love and marriage. Television has brought Hollywood values and dysfunctional relationships into our living rooms and mainstreamed once-bohemian ideas that the commitment of marriage is a barrier to personal fulfillment, an unwanted restriction of independence, and a loss of freedom. As a result of this foolish social experimentation, many people are accumulating crippling emotional baggage in their attempts to have love and sex outside the bonds of marriage.

Can't get the URL for this article to work. If you're interested in reading it, go to www.humaneventsonline.com and scroll down to this article.

What? are you saying that love can't exist without a commitment? Dont say it to loud. you may be labeled a bigot, racist, homophobe.

Adam's Apple said:
Love and Sex Without Promises
by Janice Shaw Crouse, Human Events
February 24, 2006

We just returned from a vacation at places favored by couples –– some on weekend getaways, others honeymooning. We enjoy seeing couples holding hands and stealing kisses. But sadly, growing numbers of couples on getaways together have nothing on their ring fingers. These couples, no doubt, think that their love can survive without promises and commitment, but love requires exclusivity. Love is not love if it doesn't insist "I am yours; you are mine."

Popular songs used to have lyrics like "love and marriage go together like a horse and carriage . . . you can't have one without the other." But "progressives" have tried to disavow the connection between love and marriage. Television has brought Hollywood values and dysfunctional relationships into our living rooms and mainstreamed once-bohemian ideas that the commitment of marriage is a barrier to personal fulfillment, an unwanted restriction of independence, and a loss of freedom. As a result of this foolish social experimentation, many people are accumulating crippling emotional baggage in their attempts to have love and sex outside the bonds of marriage.

Can't get the URL for this article to work. If you're interested in reading it, go to www.humaneventsonline.com and scroll down to this article.
And this was written by a hyphenated babe, Janice Shaw Crouse? Yeah, I’ll take her seriously. Funny how some can't see the forest for the trees.:rotflmao:

Abbey Normal said:
Or fundamentalist right wing extremist.

Oh, very definitely that one. That's the favorite--the one most often pulled out of the hat when the libs/secularists want to dismiss something that disputes their "gospel" of Hollywood values and free love without (shiver! shiver!)commitment.

Mr. P said:
And this was written by a hyphenated babe, Janice Shaw Crouse? Yeah, I’ll take her seriously. Funny how some can't see the forest for the trees.:rotflmao:

What's wrong with a woman keeping her maiden name along with her husband's name? My wife kept her maiden name when she added my name, and I have absolutely no problem with that. Her name now identifies her for who she is and will always be--her father's daughter and my wife. My daughters also kept their maiden names when they married--just added their husband's names. No one of them is now--or has been in the past--involved with feminist issues.

Forum List

Back