Now they're after my sinus medication!!!!!

KarlMarx

May 9, 2004
I have mixed feelings about this. We have a local problem with speed (the drug, that is). So, to fight it, they want to limit its sale to people. OK, meth is a problem, something has to be done....

on the other hand......

I suffer from sinus headaches, and I have to tell you, pseudophedrine (aka Sudafed) is an essential part of my arsenal.... I pop at least two pills a week... when the weather changes in the spring and fall it's more like two pills a day....

http://www.pressconnects.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060227/NEWS01/602270330/1001

KarlMarx said:
I have mixed feelings about this. We have a local problem with speed (the drug, that is). So, to fight it, they want to limit its sale to people. OK, meth is a problem, something has to be done....

on the other hand......

I suffer from sinus headaches, and I have to tell you, pseudophedrine (aka Sudafed) is an essential part of my arsenal.... I pop at least two pills a week... when the weather changes in the spring and fall it's more like two pills a day....

http://www.pressconnects.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060227/NEWS01/602270330/1001

I prefer nyquil nighttime severe formula. It rocks anytime of day, sniffles or none. It's like being on a wonderful, wonderful cloud. Is this "abuse" or "use"?

KarlMarx said:

on the other hand......

That's been the way it is here for about a year now.. Only serious problem? I live in a small town - NOTHING is available "after hours". Grocery store pharmacies are locked up tight by 7 or 8pm. Walgreens is closed by 9pm. Even the Super Walmart pharmacy is closed by 7ish. The stuff they have on the shelves to "replace" it, thus making *something* readily available sucks, and doesn't work. Sudafed is a standard with my allergies... But, I went a couple weeks ago looking for plain old Tylenol Cold & Flu, and I couldn't even get that. Locked up. But they had some childrens Dimetapp available. If you try and plan ahead by buying a few boxes, they look at you like you're some common criminal. Hate to say it, but 2 boxes doesn't last me all that long, and that's what you're limited to. :(

:death:

rtwngAvngr said:
I prefer nyquil nighttime severe formula. It rocks anytime of day, sniffles or none. It's like being on a wonderful, wonderful cloud. Is this "abuse" or "use"?
You're joking, right RWA?

rtwngAvngr said:

That is "use". Abuse is if you call it names.

Shattered said:
That's been the way it is here for about a year now.. Only serious problem? I live in a small town - NOTHING is available "after hours". Grocery store pharmacies are locked up tight by 7 or 8pm. Walgreens is closed by 9pm. Even the Super Walmart pharmacy is closed by 7ish. The stuff they have on the shelves to "replace" it, thus making *something* readily available sucks, and doesn't work. Sudafed is a standard with my allergies... But, I went a couple weeks ago looking for plain old Tylenol Cold & Flu, and I couldn't even get that. Locked up. But they had some childrens Dimetapp available. If you try and plan ahead by buying a few boxes, they look at you like you're some common criminal. Hate to say it, but 2 boxes doesn't last me all that long, and that's what you're limited to. :(

:death:
I have an idea... let's send all our used Kleenex to our respective state capitals as a protest!!!!!

It's all pulled off the shelves here.The only "cold" medicine on the shelves is the cough and chest decongestant stuff,everything else you have to ask the pharmicist for. It's not to big of a deal here tho,our Walgreens is open 24 hours. I'm glad they are to. I have a problem with my ears not draining right and it gets very painful....Sudafed is a must when that happens.

Right after they moved everything,I went into Bigg's to get some decongestant and didn't realize they had moved it all. I thought geese,there must be a hell of a lot of people sick right now!!! :huh:

People With Sinus Infections Stay on Antibiotics Too Long...
icon11.png

People With Sinus Infections Stay on Antibiotics Too Long, Study Indicates
March 30, 2018 - Most people prescribed antibiotics for sinus infections are on treatment courses of 10 days or longer even though infectious-disease doctors recommend five to seven days for uncomplicated cases, a U.S. study suggests.
Researchers examined data from a sample representing an estimated 3.7 million adults treated for sinusitis and prescribed antibiotics in 2016. Overall, 70 percent of antibiotics prescribed were for 10 days or longer, the study found. "Anytime antibiotics are used, they can cause side effects and lead to antibiotic resistance," said senior study author Dr. Katherine Fleming-Dutra, deputy director of the Office of Antibiotic Stewardship at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta. "This is why it is so important to only use antibiotics when they are needed and to use the right antibiotic for the minimum effective duration," Fleming-Dutra said by email.

3FAC283E-6903-4C32-BF03-90688316AA2F_w650_r1_s.jpg

This illustration released by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention shows a group of antibiotic-resistant bacteria.​

Common side effects of antibiotics can include rash, dizziness, nausea, diarrhea and yeast infections, she said. More serious side effects may include life-threatening allergic reactions and Clostridium difficile infection, which causes diarrhea that can lead to severe colon damage and death. Antibiotic resistance occurs when bacteria develop the ability to defeat the drugs designed to kill them and can make infections harder to treat.

Relatively new guidelines

When antibiotics are prescribed for sinus infections, only five to seven days of therapy are needed for uncomplicated cases, when patients start to recover within a few days of starting treatment and if they don't have signs that the infection has spread beyond the sinuses, according to the Infectious Diseases Society of America (IDSA). These guidelines are relatively new, however, and it's possible some of the longer courses of antibiotics prescribed in the study occurred because not all doctors have absorbed the new practice recommendations, Fleming-Dutra said. Prior to 2012, the IDSA recommended 10 to 14 days of antibiotics for sinus infections in adults. In the study, no penicillin or tetracycline prescriptions were for five-day courses and only 5 percent of prescriptions were for seven-day courses of penicillins, tetracyclines or fluoroquinolones.

D51F986E-40A6-426B-9642-3AFD115A56E9_cx0_cy7_cw0_w1023_r1_s.jpg

A view of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention headquarters in Atlanta[/cnter]

When researchers excluded azithromycin, an antibiotic that's not recommended for sinus infections, they found that 91 percent of all antibiotic courses prescribed for sinus infections were for 10 days or longer. The study didn't examine whether or how the duration of antibiotics prescriptions affected treatment of sinus infections or the potential for side effects. Researchers also focused only on acute sinus infections, and by excluding some cases where the type of infection was unclear, they may have left out some acute cases, the study team noted in AMA Internal Medicine. It's also possible that in some cases, doctors prescribed antibiotics for 10 days or longer and instructed patients to stop after five to seven days unless they were still experiencing symptoms, said Dr. Sharon Meropol, a researcher at Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine in Cleveland, Ohio, who wasn't involved in the study.

Medicine switch

People With Sinus Infections Stay on Antibiotics Too Long...
icon11.png

People With Sinus Infections Stay on Antibiotics Too Long, Study Indicates
March 30, 2018 - Most people prescribed antibiotics for sinus infections are on treatment courses of 10 days or longer even though infectious-disease doctors recommend five to seven days for uncomplicated cases, a U.S. study suggests.
Researchers examined data from a sample representing an estimated 3.7 million adults treated for sinusitis and prescribed antibiotics in 2016. Overall, 70 percent of antibiotics prescribed were for 10 days or longer, the study found. "Anytime antibiotics are used, they can cause side effects and lead to antibiotic resistance," said senior study author Dr. Katherine Fleming-Dutra, deputy director of the Office of Antibiotic Stewardship at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta. "This is why it is so important to only use antibiotics when they are needed and to use the right antibiotic for the minimum effective duration," Fleming-Dutra said by email.

3FAC283E-6903-4C32-BF03-90688316AA2F_w650_r1_s.jpg

This illustration released by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention shows a group of antibiotic-resistant bacteria.​

Common side effects of antibiotics can include rash, dizziness, nausea, diarrhea and yeast infections, she said. More serious side effects may include life-threatening allergic reactions and Clostridium difficile infection, which causes diarrhea that can lead to severe colon damage and death. Antibiotic resistance occurs when bacteria develop the ability to defeat the drugs designed to kill them and can make infections harder to treat.

Relatively new guidelines

When antibiotics are prescribed for sinus infections, only five to seven days of therapy are needed for uncomplicated cases, when patients start to recover within a few days of starting treatment and if they don't have signs that the infection has spread beyond the sinuses, according to the Infectious Diseases Society of America (IDSA). These guidelines are relatively new, however, and it's possible some of the longer courses of antibiotics prescribed in the study occurred because not all doctors have absorbed the new practice recommendations, Fleming-Dutra said. Prior to 2012, the IDSA recommended 10 to 14 days of antibiotics for sinus infections in adults. In the study, no penicillin or tetracycline prescriptions were for five-day courses and only 5 percent of prescriptions were for seven-day courses of penicillins, tetracyclines or fluoroquinolones.

D51F986E-40A6-426B-9642-3AFD115A56E9_cx0_cy7_cw0_w1023_r1_s.jpg

A view of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention headquarters in Atlanta[/cnter]

When researchers excluded azithromycin, an antibiotic that's not recommended for sinus infections, they found that 91 percent of all antibiotic courses prescribed for sinus infections were for 10 days or longer. The study didn't examine whether or how the duration of antibiotics prescriptions affected treatment of sinus infections or the potential for side effects. Researchers also focused only on acute sinus infections, and by excluding some cases where the type of infection was unclear, they may have left out some acute cases, the study team noted in AMA Internal Medicine. It's also possible that in some cases, doctors prescribed antibiotics for 10 days or longer and instructed patients to stop after five to seven days unless they were still experiencing symptoms, said Dr. Sharon Meropol, a researcher at Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine in Cleveland, Ohio, who wasn't involved in the study.

Medicine switch

I only stay on the antibiotics for six days and stop.

Work better for me.

on the other hand......

It has been like that here for years. At the rate you take them no one will be knocking on your door! I use them too but only in extreme cases. I do not lkike that jittery feeling. I do have this to ask, if they can track this like that why can they not create a similar data base on opiates?

Forum List

Back