Tiger Woods had the lead on Sunday at the British Open.

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2014
The Southwestern Desert
The man is phenomenal. He was a couple bad holes away from not only winning again but winning a major! A year ago he was getting carted off the course in a tournament because he couldn't swing. If he wins another major it would be the greatest comeback from injury of any top sports star in any sport. I've thought about this a lot and if anyone can think of someone at the top of his sport that fell as far as Tiger did and then got back to the top, I'd love to hear it. I can't think of one.

The man is phenomenal. He was a couple bad holes away from not only winning again but winning a major! A year ago he was getting carted off the course in a tournament because he couldn't swing. If he wins another major it would be the greatest comeback from injury of any top sports star in any sport. I've thought about this a lot and if anyone can think of someone at the top of his sport that fell as far as Tiger did and then got back to the top, I'd love to hear it. I can't think of one.

To think, his fall from grace coincided exactly with the public details of him cheating on his wife.

I'm not into the whole karma thing, but nobody can deny the timing is uncanny. We're talking 10 years now of futility, after he was winning Major tournaments at Will.

We all make mistakes, and it may be a coincidence, but I get the feeling his head and even his drive wasn't in the right place after the public embarrassment. Coupled with his physical problems and it's clear he has never recovered. Maybe he will win again, but after this long it's one hell of a drop off.

• Banned

To think, his fall from grace coincided exactly with the public details of him cheating on his wife.

I'm not into the whole karma thing, but nobody can deny the timing is uncanny. We're talking 10 years now of futility, after he was winning Major tournaments at Will.

We all make mistakes, and it may be a coincidence, but I get the feeling his head and even his drive wasn't in the right place after the public embarrassment. Coupled with his physical problems and it's clear he has never recovered. Maybe he will win again, but after this long it's one hell of a drop off.
I agree that the mental side of his game collapsed with his marriage. You have to know yourself and if you have that much drive to chase women you just don't get married. But that was his decision and for him it wasn't good because he couldn't control himself obviously. The physical problems may have been self induced too with his constant tinkering of his golf swing and extreme workout routines.

It still to me is a great comeback story when a guy is at the pinnacle of his sport and self destructs physically and mentally and climbs all the way back well past 40 years old. There's lots of Tiger detractors but I'm rooting for the guy. I think it's great to see him swinging so well and in contention again.

I agree that the mental side of his game collapsed with his marriage. You have to know yourself and if you have that much drive to chase women you just don't get married. But that was his decision and for him it wasn't good because he couldn't control himself obviously. The physical problems may have been self induced too with his constant tinkering of his golf swing and extreme workout routines.

It still to me is a great comeback story when a guy is at the pinnacle of his sport and self destructs physically and mentally and climbs all the way back well past 40 years old. There's lots of Tiger detractors but I'm rooting for the guy. I think it's great to see him swinging so well and in contention again.

I was never a golf fan so I don't care one way or another. If he wins, great, if he doesn't, great. As he gets older it would be a nice comeback story for a day or two, but he lost his moment to really destroy Jack Nicklaus records.

Forum List

Back