(Tidbit) Do skunks spray other skunks?

TheParser

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2017
One expert says YES!

She adds, however, that they seldom do so, for they rarely feel threatened by other skunks.

Then she writes the following that gave me a much needed chuckle:

"For example, a female will occasionally spray a male who pesters her too hard for a date (my emphasis), and he slinks away, offended."

Source: Marilyn von Savant (notice her last name!), Parade magazine (print edition of May 6, 2018).

We have a little runt skunk, with 4 bigger brothers and sisters and a mom that come and eat the sunflower seeds that have fallen to the ground under the bird feeder....

He is such a character....he was constantly beat up on or pushed out of the way, when feeding by his siblings....the poor little runt....we felt so sorry for him....

then about two weeks passed of him being pushed around, and he started to get pissed off.... and whenever his brothers and sisters tried to push him away, he would jerk towards them and put up his front paws like he was going to have a boxing match with them....it was so cute....

Matt and I named him "Put 'em Up" after that....like the lion in the wizzard of oz, acronym, PEU, like pepe la pew....or pew, you stink.....!

Anyway, as it grew bigger, still smaller than the others, not only would it put up its fists to fight them back, it would do another twist and jerk, and put its butt towards them with tale raised like he was going to spray them, if they kept him from eating and kept pestering him.....

never saw him actually spray them, but he certainly threatened them, that he would or she would, if they continued their bullying.

to spray a skunk has to set its front feet...then it sprays...and no they dont normally waste their time spraying other skunks....
people use to have skunks as pets and i guess still do ...most vets refuse to decent them...and they come in different colors

Forum List

Back