(Tidbit) A wise quotation

TheParser

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2017
"You must give up the life you planned in order to have the life waiting for you."

-- Joseph Campbell

I have just heard this quotation on the popular TV crime drama "Criminal Minds." That program always ends each episode with a quotation.

"You must give up the life you planned in order to have the life waiting for you."

-- Joseph Campbell

I have just heard this quotation on the popular TV crime drama "Criminal Minds." That program always ends each episode with a quotation.
I plan to be the most powerful despotic ruler of the world. Why would I give that up? :dunno:

Makes no sense

Actually, it makes a great deal of sense to me. I was orphaned at age 8, and put into foster care. The foundation that ran the program gives a full ride scholarship to every kid in the program, as long as they maintain a B average in college.

Well, things happened my Junior year of HS, and I no longer wanted to be in foster care, so I ran away and lived the last year with my Grandparents.

They didn't have enough money to send me to college, so that was now out. Halfway through my Senior year, I enlisted in the DEP program and was in boot camp 3 days after I turned 18. Because of various assignments they offered me, I decided to keep reenlisting until one day I looked around and I had 12 years of service. Decided at that time I was going to stick around for the full 20 and get my retirement.

The life I had originally planned was for me to go to college and become a journalist or radio announcer. Giving up on that dream gave me the life waiting for me, which actually turned out much better. I'm well traveled (26 countries and 49 states), have healthcare for the rest of my life, and a retirement check as well. Had many excellent (and some not so much) experiences, and am really happy about the life waiting for me. Turned out much better and more secure than the one that I'd planned.

I guess God was just watching out for me.

Makes no sense

Actually, it makes a great deal of sense to me. I was orphaned at age 8, and put into foster care. The foundation that ran the program gives a full ride scholarship to every kid in the program, as long as they maintain a B average in college.

Well, things happened my Junior year of HS, and I no longer wanted to be in foster care, so I ran away and lived the last year with my Grandparents.

They didn't have enough money to send me to college, so that was now out. Halfway through my Senior year, I enlisted in the DEP program and was in boot camp 3 days after I turned 18. Because of various assignments they offered me, I decided to keep reenlisting until one day I looked around and I had 12 years of service. Decided at that time I was going to stick around for the full 20 and get my retirement.

The life I had originally planned was for me to go to college and become a journalist or radio announcer. Giving up on that dream gave me the life waiting for me, which actually turned out much better. I'm well traveled (26 countries and 49 states), have healthcare for the rest of my life, and a retirement check as well. Had many excellent (and some not so much) experiences, and am really happy about the life waiting for me. Turned out much better and more secure than the one that I'd planned.

49 states! WTH get moving.

OH
EMMM
GEEEE

The book I'm working on now - I'm starting each chapter with a quote and that one fits perfectly.

Thank you!

Makes no sense

There are some who are not able to see that there are choices between the life you're living and the one that's waiting. Cool that you were able to see that, in a life that may have seemed to hold not many choices at all, you found one that gave you enormous returns.

Makes no sense

49 states! WTH get moving.

Alaska is the only one I'm missing. Would have had that one covered as well if the squadron hadn't had to make budget cuts for the detachment to Adak AK. Because I was one of those at the bottom of the list (admin isn't really considered essential, just convenient to have around), so when they cut some of the funding, I lost my place on the detachment.

However......................if I win the lottery, my roomie and I are going to Seattle to get on a cruise to Alaska.

Makes no sense

I always planned on being a renowned internet poster

3685-Dreams-vs-Reality.jpg

My post had a message................may have went over some people's heads.............

Forum List

Back