today, learning to draw and hit swiftly is easy, cheap

abrere

May 28, 2018
due to $100 airsoft guns,, very low-cost competitions where you can meet the best gunhandlers that ever walked the earth, airsoft shot-timers, phone cams, and vids on youtube. Ditto learning to hit tossed up targets in mid air, horizontally moving targets, etc.. The visible-in-flight, 1/2c per shot pellets show you all you need to know about the "leading" required to hit moving targets, point-shooting, sight picture and trigger control and the $120 shot timer shows you what you need to know about efficient movement. When you feel like it was fast, and the timer says that it was slow, it means that you had wasted motion in the move, so look at the vid of yourself, slow it down, and watch for the unnecessary extra motion.

A silenced .22lr autopistol is every bit as 'tame" to use as the airsoft gun, so, yes, airsoft practice CAN lead to real ability with real guns.

• Banned
I dont recall. i've been on 100's, if not thousands of forums.

there's no value to noise with a gun, so of course a silencer is always an advantage, if it doesn't ruin the ability of the gun to do its job (ie, be swiftly available from concealment, with a powerful load).

there's no value to noise with a gun, so of course a silencer is always an advantage, if it doesn't ruin the ability of the gun to do its job (ie, be swiftly available from concealment, with a powerful load).

A suppressor is only effective with subsonic ammunition. That is inherently inferior to the faster rounds. Speaking in a post apocalyptic setting, unless you are in open flat ground, a single shot will be difficult to know the direction. One round taking one man down, from a distance, will have the rest ducking for cover. That lets me make my way to someplace without further need for conflict.

If we are not talking about post-SHTF situations, I see no need at all for compromising the capability of a long gun at range. If it is close, a crossbow or bow is quieter than a suppressed semi-auto rifle.

And a suppressor is expensive, with the added $200 tax stamp, it is even more so.

It also puts you on a list kept by the BATF. Perhaps someone else knows the answer to this. I know if I buy a fully automatic weapon, the gov't has the right to check to see if I have where I said I would store it. Do suppressors have the same rule? In other words, does it invite law enforcement into my home without a warrant?

And a suppressor is expensive, with the added $200 tax stamp, it is even more so.

It also puts you on a list kept by the BATF. Perhaps someone else knows the answer to this. I know if I buy a fully automatic weapon, the gov't has the right to check to see if I have where I said I would store it. Do suppressors have the same rule? In other words, does it invite law enforcement into my home without a warrant?

You can easily make a very effective suppressor with an oil filter when and if shit does hit the fan....no tax stamp or registration required!

Here is some relevant info from the venerable Field & Stream.
"Since energy is the product of mass times velocity squared, a slower bullet has exponentially less energy than a faster one of the same weight. Take your average 55-grain .223 Rem. bullet. At 3250 fps, it produces 1,280 foot-pounds of energy at the muzzle. But if you reduce the velocity to a subsonic 1100 fps, it produces only 150 foot-pounds. In other words, it turns a .223 Rem. into a .22 LR—the difference between a load for deer and a load for prairie dogs. This is one reason why you rarely see subsonic .223 loads on shelves. The other is because a lack of energy going forward equals a lack of energy going backward—and so they can fail to cycle semiautomatics."
The Pros and Cons of Subsonic Cartridges

If you add in the significantly greater bullet drop as ranges increase (starting pretty quickly), you have some very good reasons why suppressors aren't the answer.

Blowgun with poisoned darts works just as well..

due to $100 airsoft guns,, very low-cost competitions where you can meet the best gunhandlers that ever walked the earth, airsoft shot-timers, phone cams, and vids on youtube. Ditto learning to hit tossed up targets in mid air, horizontally moving targets, etc.. The visible-in-flight, 1/2c per shot pellets show you all you need to know about the "leading" required to hit moving targets, point-shooting, sight picture and trigger control and the $120 shot timer shows you what you need to know about efficient movement. When you feel like it was fast, and the timer says that it was slow, it means that you had wasted motion in the move, so look at the vid of yourself, slow it down, and watch for the unnecessary extra motion.

A silenced .22lr autopistol is every bit as 'tame" to use as the airsoft gun, so, yes, airsoft practice CAN lead to real ability with real guns.

I am sure shooting airsoft can help with leading moving targets or whatever. But I have never seen any gun instructor who doesn't emphasize that you practice with what you will carry. And while airsoft may be cheaper to shoot, the weight and balance will be completely different than an actual firearm. If you want to practice faster draw, put a laser sight device in your gun and practice quick draw while dry firing. Or hell, just practice drawing and pulling the trigger with snapcaps in your gun (if dry firing will harm it). Learning to dry a lighter gun that has a different balance will not do nearly as well as dry firing, or even just practicing drawing your primary sidearm.

Forum List

Back