Eskimo or Inuit - which name do you use?

• Total voters

Zebra

Gold Member
May 29, 2023

Some Info first:

Although the name "Eskimo" was commonly used in Alaska to refer to Inuit and Yupik people of the world, this usage is now considered unacceptable by many or even most Alaska Natives, largely since it is a colonial name imposed by non-Indigenous people. Alaska Natives increasingly prefer to be known by the names they use in their own languages, such as Inupiaq or Yupik. "Inuit" is now the current term in Alaska and across the Arctic, and "Eskimo" is fading from use. The Inuit Circumpolar Council prefers the term "Inuit" but some other organizations use "Eskimo".

Linguists believe that "Eskimo" is derived from a Montagnais (Innu) word ayas̆kimew meaning "netter of snowshoes." The people of Canada and Greenland have long preferred other names. "Inuit," meaning "people," is used in Canada, and the language is called "Inuktitut" in eastern Canada although other local designations are used also. The Inuit people of Greenland refer to themselves as "Greenlanders" or "Kalaallit" in their language, which they call "Greenlandic" or "Kalaallisut." Alaska includes the Inupiat, literally "real people", and other groups that are included under the overall designation of "Inuit"

I only say Eskimo, for reasons I can explain later :)

Why I say Eskimo:

1) it is an all-inclusive term - Inuit isn't
2) it is not offensive, as some claimed.
3) it does not mean: eaters of raw meat, but makers of straw shoes
4) the argument, that worldwide only that term should be used that in the respective country is used, is nonsense. See the case of the term "Germany".

I usually refer to them as First Nation or aboriginal unless I am being cheeky. Then I might call them Eskimo, usually with igloo in the same sentence.

We've never had Eskimos around here, I don't know of any Eskimo bars or hangouts. Just too warm around here. I don't think the insurance companies would want to insure their igloos from possible melting in the summer.

Given just how few of them live in my neighborhood... it doesn't really come up that often.
OK - there are practically no Eskimos in Germany.

So I am not asking what you say when you TALK TO THEM - but which term do you use when you talk or write about this topic.

One vote only so far.

Could you click onto sth - just for the sake of the topic? :)

I usually refer to them as First Nation or aboriginal unless I am being cheeky. Then I might call them Eskimo, usually with igloo in the same sentence.

Technically ... Inuit-speaking peoples are distinct from First Nations ... some in this language group tried to move south, but could not compete against the bigger stronger better settled First Nations ... yeah, Indians killed Indians ...

There should be another option in the poll ... calling Inuits "Inuit" and calling Eskimoes "Eskimo" ... those are separate nations no matter how close their languages are ... or are we buying into the latest whitie stereotype ... fine, just don't get upset if an Apache calls you a Latino ... ha ha ha ha ha ...

There should be another option in the poll ... calling Inuits "Inuit" and calling Eskimoes "Eskimo" ... those are separate nations no matter how close their languages are ... or are we buying into the latest whitie stereotype ... fine, just don't get upset if an Apache calls you a Latino ... ha ha ha ha ha ...

Is there an Eskimo nation with an Eskimo President?

I have hung out with the Inuit people and I am comfortable with using that descriptor.

AlanTukTuk.jpg

from my trip to the Canadian Arctic

Technically ... Inuit-speaking peoples are distinct from First Nations ... some in this language group tried to move south, but could not compete against the bigger stronger better settled First Nations ... yeah, Indians killed Indians ...

I speak of the Eskimo occasionally. I never really speak of the Inuit. I don't know much about them.

Is there an Eskimo nation with an Eskimo President?
IIRC - Greenland - actually Eskimos - but prefer to be called Kalaallit - whilst those calling themselves Inuit demand independence

Greenlanders voted overwhelmingly in 2008 to increase their autonomy from Denmark, and Greenland is now officially designated a self-governing overseas administrative division of Denmark.
Múte Bourup Egede is the present prime minister.

Last edited:
I speak of the Eskimo occasionally. I never really speak of the Inuit. I don't know much about them.
I have never ever used the term "Inuit".
I find it toooooooooooo politically correct.

And I think no people on Earth have the right to demand of the whole world that only THEIR OWN WORD should be used.

Now just think of Germany and the Germans - and how absurd it would be if we demanded that the whole world should only use the terms "deutsch" and "Deutschland" for us.

It would be idiotic, to say the least.

Why I say Eskimo:

1) it is an all-inclusive term - Inuit isn't
2) it is not offensive, as some claimed.
3) it does not mean: eaters of raw meat, but makers of straw shoes
4) the argument, that worldwide only that term should be used that in the respective country is used, is nonsense. See the case of the term "Germany".
Yup, Eskimo is not offensive.

Neither is Polak, Chinks, Chinaman, Wop, Frog...

I am none of these things so of course, I know best.

Last edited:
I have never ever used the term "Inuit".
I find it toooooooooooo politically correct.

And I think no people on Earth have the right to demand of the whole world that only THEIR OWN WORD should be used.

Now just think of Germany and the Germans - and how absurd it would be if we demanded that the whole world should only use the terms "deutsch" and "Deutschland" for us.

It would be idiotic, to say the least.
Don't ever call me a German - I am a Bavarian.

Yup, Eskimo is not offensive.

Neither is Polak, Chinks, Chinaman, Wop, Frog...

I am none of these things so of course, I know best.

Sorry, I see it differently.
Polak, Chinks, Chinaman, Wop, Frog - these are meant in a derogative way.
Eskimo IS NOTTTTT !!!!! meant in a derogative way.

And to make it clear again:
"Germany, Allemagne, Tyskland" etc are not meant in a derogative way.

I hope to see the difference to words like Polak, Chinks, Chinaman, Wop, Frog.
If not, I cannot help it. :)

Forum List

Back