Eskimo or Inuit - which name do you use?

Eskimo or Inuit - which name do you use?

• Total voters
I don't recall an occasion needing to use either term.
Maybe you have no occasion either to use terms like British or Russian or Spanish or French etc etc ...
Because you live in a narrow and restricted world with no interest in anything beyond a narrow horizon.

Here are some sensible words:

If you’d call a native American that wasn't from the north an “Eskimo”, I would understand that they’d find it offensive, since they actually don’t belong in that group at all. But for the native people that actually do come from the very northern hemisphere in America; Greenland, North of Canada, Alaska and Russia, all fall under the broad group called “Eskimo”.

This includes the groups of the Inuit, Iñupiat, Yupik and sometimes also the Aleut. It’s simply a terminology used to categorize all these groups into one.

Like the terminology British includes smaller groups of Welsh, Scottish and English, a term stemming from the name of the islands, The British Isles.

• Eskimo, a term including smaller groups.
  • British, a term including smaller groups.

I hope I can put it clearly:

Eskimo is the cover-all term for several groups of polar people.
One of these groups are the Inuit.

So: Every Inuit is also an Eskimo, by definition.
But not every Eskimo is an Inuit.

Just as the Bavarians are Germans, but not all Germans are Bavarians.
Just as the Welsh are British, but not all British are Welsh.

As an addition:

Some Bavarians like to say jokingly, that they are not German.
But that is meant as a joke.
Of course the Bavarians are German, just as the Swabians and the Saxons are German.

This OP is definitely a fruit cake but I am stupid enough to respond .
Hopefully the Space Aliens will RIP him very soon . Can you imagine the inane questions coming for the holiday season ?

Have you ever first peed into your partner's Christmas stocking ?etc

I can't keep up, never heard of the word Inuit until well past my college years.

It wasn't until a few months ago while looking at a Google map that had me wondering whatever became of Barrow, Alaska?

I remember being somewhere (a forum?) and discussing movies. There is this contemporary movie about Indians. But it doesn't portray them in that noble stereotypical way. The main character is an asshole Indian. I'll have to look that u.

Eskimo. That's all I ever called them and all I will ever call them.

I also don't call blacks African Americans because if you're born in Africa then you're African and if you're born in America then you're American. No one calls Charlize theron or Elon musk African American despite being born there.

I call Indians Indians. Yeah I know there arent due to a mistake hundreds of years ago but that's what I grew up calling them. I refuse to use native American because it's too politically correct.

I still say orientals or asians if I don't know someones birth place. The orient is just an all around term for someone from asia, it's an older term but it isn't racist or anything. It's just a demographic and summarized geographical area.

And I call illegals illegals because they are fucking illegals.

I remember being somewhere (a forum?) and discussing movies. There is this contemporary movie about Indians. But it doesn't portray them in that noble stereotypical way. The main character is an asshole Indian. I'll have to look that u.

tell us then!

It doesn't cost you anything to call people whatever they want to be called.

Why I say Eskimo:

1) it is an all-inclusive term - Inuit isn't
2) it is not offensive, as some claimed.
3) it does not mean: eaters of raw meat, but makers of straw shoes
4) the argument, that worldwide only that term should be used that in the respective country is used, is nonsense. See the case of the term "Germany".
just repeating …

Forum List

Back