Thunderbolt / Linux Vulnerability

toobfreak

Tungsten/Glass Member
Apr 29, 2017
On The Way Home To Earth
If you have a Thunderbolt equipped or Linux computer, the Thunderspy technique can rip all of the data out of your computer in 5 minutes and you'll never know it. Apple Macs are immune, of course.

Apple Macs are immune, of course.

Did you set a strong enough password on your root account? ... how many folks don't bother? ... how many folks fire up their Mac and just use the admin account set up out-of-the-box? ...

"User error - please replace user"
Maybe you misunderstand what the word 'immune' means?

If you have a Thunderbolt equipped or Linux computer, the Thunderspy technique can rip all of the data out of your computer in 5 minutes and you'll never know it. Apple Macs are immune, of course.

Levant knows more about tubes than you

Levant knows more about tubes than you
I'm sure. After all, he's changed out a TV tube more often than days I've lived on this Earth!

Do you have a Thunderbolt equipped computer?
Anyone that does, will not be using it for any business or personal e-mail or anything like that.
Computers that have Thunderbolt are used for a singular purpose. Nobody ever uses the Thunderbolt, either. They still keep putting it in there, but nobody ever uses that.
Show me somebody using Thunderbolt. :auiqs.jpg:

The main reason that I don't keep anything worth anything on any device connected to the interwebz.
Do you have Thunderbolt on your computer? Very few people do. And the ones that do, will not have anything worthwhile on it.
Only 2-3 out of every gen release even has Thunderbolt.

The main reason that I don't keep anything worth anything on any device connected to the interwebz.
Do you have Thunderbolt on your computer? Very few people do. And the ones that do, will not have anything worthwhile on it.
Ubuntu, and one machine with Windoze so I can play my video games.

I have absolutely no information of any value on any of my laptops or phone.

toobfreak: Anyone that has a Thunderbolt-equipped computer, most likely will not ever have anything hooked up to that worth stealing.

Ubuntu, and one machine with Windoze so I can play my video games.

I have absolutely no information of any value on any of my laptops or phone.
Thunderbolt only comes on like..Maximus or Crosshair Extreme motherboards.

Anyone that buys those is not going to have any kind of relevant information in their OS whatsoever.
Their OS is going to be bare bones to do what they need to get done, probably no LAN drivers or internet connection or anything. The setup may not even hook up to the internet.
I know of exactly 2 guys using Thunderbolt, ever. Not to say more haven't, but for an average user? That's not going to happen.

Last edited:
Only 2-3 out of every gen release even has Thunderbolt.
When I bought my computer in the Spring of 2011, Thunderbolt wasn't available yet otherwise I'd have it. But then, as a Mac Pro, I don't think I'd have the Thunderspy vulnerability anyway. But yes, I have more than "worthwhile" stuff on my computer, there is 8TB internal storage, and another 6TB external.

Last edited:
Thunderbolt is like 1394a or firewire, nobody ever uses that stuff.
Sorry, but I use Firewire 800 for every data transfer and Thunderbolt 3 is a standard feature on later versions of my computer and a standard feature on support devices like Lacie back-up drives.

Amazon.com: Lacie 5big Thunderbolt2 10tb Pro 5-Bay Raid Storage: Electronics

Thunderbolt is a heavily used feature in pro circles of video, music and graphics editing or anywhere heavy demand processing and heavy number crunching is used, such as running MATLAB, Wolfram Mathematica or Final Cut Pro.

Thunderbolt is like 1394a or firewire, nobody ever uses that stuff.
Sorry, but I use Firewire 800 for every data transfer and Thunderbolt 3 is a standard feature on later versions of my computer and a standard feature on support devices like Lacie back-up drives.

Amazon.com: Lacie 5big Thunderbolt2 10tb Pro 5-Bay Raid Storage: Electronics

Thunderbolt is a heavily used feature in pro circles of video, music and graphics editing or anywhere heavy demand processing and heavy number crunching is used, such as running MATLAB, Wolfram Mathematica or Final Cut Pro.
Oh geez..a MAC. What is the Thunderbolt used for? Data transfers?

No hard drive reads and writes @40Gbps.

Better off using 2 of those newer hard drives in same board.

Last edited:
I see you didn't bother reading the specs on the latest Mac Pros. See the read/writes under STORAGE. Then see below to T-Bird section under I/O.
The computers you are thinking of are mere toys compared to the latest Apple MacPro. PCs are shit.

But then you'd EXPECT that for a professional SOTA computer you can spend well over $50,000 on.

I see you didn't bother reading the specs on the latest Mac Pros. See the read/writes under STORAGE. Then see below to T-Bird section under I/O.
The computers you are thinking of are mere toys compared to the latest Apple MacPro. PCs are shit.

But then you'd EXPECT that for a professional SOTA computer you can spend well over $50,000 on.

rofl.gif

I probably currently run a more powerful computer than what Apple charges $3000 for.
It also cost me nowhere near that much. This motherboard I'm on right now has Thunderbolt capability, and I have a couple of those Thunderbolt things laying around.
Useless to me.

Also my graphics card is more powerful than a "Vega II". By a longshot. I'd say around 40% more.
Under $1k in this setup, with "Thunderbolt" support that I'll never use and a much better GPU than "Vega II". What's good to upgrade is NVMe drives. They are fast.
Oh! This is just my XP comp, to. The other one has more grunt.

Last edited:

rofl.gif

I probably currently run a more powerful computer than what Apple charges $3000 for.
It also cost me nowhere near that much. This motherboard I'm on right now has Thunderbolt capability, and I have a couple of those Thunderbolt things laying around.
Useless to me.

Also my graphics card is more powerful than a "Vega II". By a longshot. I'd say around 40% more.
Under $1k in this setup, with "Thunderbolt" support that I'll never use and a much better GPU than "Vega II". What's good to upgrade is NVMe drives. They are fast.
Oh! This is just my XP comp, to. The other one has more grunt.
SUPER! Maybe you should start your own company. I'm just missing what your distaste for T-Bird has to do with the topic of this thread warning actual T-Bird and Linux users of the potential vulnerability in their PC's?

Forum List

Back