Thoughts On Growing Old

That's the circle though... We all face the inevitable equalizer - and no matter how fancy your coffin is, stuffing it with gold is a fools errand.

It's true we all die, and that stuffing your coffin with gold is a fool's errand.

My message was about saving up and investing money for when you're old. When you die you can pass it on. You can also help ensure your costs are covered. Being in the health care field and actually being there and experiencing these things firsthand, I've seen more than a few times clients suffer and struggle because their money runs... out.

If your insurance isn't good, and you require many different medications, you could be in a lot of financial trouble. Home care agencies, physical therapy, hospice, funeral services, occupational therapy, etc are all expensive depending on your situation. I would rather amass someone north of one million dollars than $200,000 for retirement.

You can't use it once you're dead, but you can use it before you die... and pass it along to give your loved ones a better future than you had.

What is everyone's opinion on acting older? My grandparents seemed to accept acting older in dress, behavior and socially. I see more rebels in that regard these days.
I like it. When my grandparents were doing the elderly thing, they did the same thing that they did in their prime - they acted the parts that they were expected to. I never really knew them :(

:beer: To relaxed expectations and personal liberty!​

That's the circle though... We all face the inevitable equalizer - and no matter how fancy your coffin is, stuffing it with gold is a fools errand.

It's true we all die, and that stuffing your coffin with gold is a fool's errand.

My message was about saving up and investing money for when you're old. When you die you can pass it on. You can also help ensure your costs are covered. Being in the health care field and actually being there and experiencing these things firsthand, I've seen more than a few times clients suffer and struggle because their money runs... out.

If your insurance isn't good, and you require many different medications, you could be in a lot of financial trouble. Home care agencies, physical therapy, hospice, funeral services, occupational therapy, etc are all expensive depending on your situation. I would rather amass someone north of one million dollars than $200,000 for retirement.

You can't use it once you're dead, but you can use it before you die... and pass it along to give your loved ones a better future than you had.

No offense Bud... my response was actually to Gipper when he said "Oh well, we can't stop aging so we must do our best to stay fit and healthy."

The collapsed nested quote kind of sand-bagged me.

What is everyone's opinion on acting older? My grandparents seemed to accept acting older in dress, behavior and socially. I see more rebels in that regard these days.
I wish more old people would act their age. There was a NYT article just a few weeks back about baby boomers suddenly realizing that they're the old generation and having a conniption about it, declaring that they're still young at heart. What is it with people like that. They're older than me and they seem to not understand that their generation didn't discover youthful rebellion, the pleasures of sex, etc. I'm quite sure that old people 50 years ago also thought that they were young at heart but they acted their age.

My number one piece of advice for growing old. Always have a dog or two with you. A cat is also acceptable. :biggrin:

That one is tough for me... Boo just died in August and Kea has too few years left. I'm tearing up as I write this... I know that dogs aren't supposed to last forever but friends like that can't simply be replaced.

So sorry to hear this. :smiliehug:

One thing I'm noticing is how the past seems like a foreign land. I find it amazing that I can look back 30 years and it's 1984. I can watch movies from that era and understand it. I can grasp the 30 year difference. Then I go back another 30 years and it's 1954. The same 30 year span but the cultural differences seem so much more profound. Go back another 30 years and it's 1924. I might as well be on another planet.

The show Happy Days came onto TV in 1974 reminiscing about life in 1954. In only 20 years time there was so much change. Today, a Happy Days type program would be reminiscing about life in 1994, the Clinton era. The changes don't seem so profound. The move American Graffiti came out in 1973 and was reminiscing about life in 1962. Today that same movie would be reminiscing about life in 2003.

I'm not sure what's going on but it sure seems that there were bigger changes going on back then than there are today.

Some days I'm happy as a lark and others it's like I fear dropping dead any moment LOL. Will turn 60 in a a few months. My brother told me that for him, he considers each day over 60 a "plus".

There's some dandy comments hear- thanks for sharing. Oh yeah, my spelling skills aren't what they used to be either!

More forgetful moments than usual, but physically I'm... better than average I suppose. I've recently noticed an inordinate fear of heights which is really weird. I'm not grouchy by nature but the older I get the less patience I seem to have for certain people and circumstances. Keeping (trying to at least) a good mental attitude is important. And a SENSE OF HUMOR is an absolute must. Making folks around me smile or laugh is such a rush, whether it's the cashier at Wal Mart, the guys at the liquor store, or a stranger on the street.

Saving? Investing? I think we can get the kid through the next four years of college, After that I honestly don't care if we sell the house and live in a trailer DOWN BY THE RIVER. My life is now all about my kids and grandson. I'm so damn proud of them all and lucky to be their father.

Volunteer work- been doing it my entire career. Great way to be around like-minded folks, working toward the same goals.

I do need to work on my behavior in public. I'm just about as goofy and nutty as when I was a kid.

The end.

I adhere to the Ms. Jean Brody philosophy. I am, have always been, and will always be in my prime.

Besides, getting older beats the alternative.

Just sayin'.

Last edited:
Some days I'm happy as a lark and others it's like I fear dropping dead any moment LOL. Will turn 60 in a a few months. My brother told me that for him, he considers each day over 60 a "plus".

There's some dandy comments hear- thanks for sharing. Oh yeah, my spelling skills aren't what they used to be either!

More forgetful moments than usual, but physically I'm... better than average I suppose. I've recently noticed an inordinate fear of heights which is really weird. I'm not grouchy by nature but the older I get the less patience I seem to have for certain people and circumstances. Keeping (trying to at least) a good mental attitude is important. And a SENSE OF HUMOR is an absolute must. Making folks around me smile or laugh is such a rush, whether it's the cashier at Wal Mart, the guys at the liquor store, or a stranger on the street.

Saving? Investing? I think we can get the kid through the next four years of college, After that I honestly don't care if we sell the house and live in a trailer DOWN BY THE RIVER. My life is now all about my kids and grandson. I'm so damn proud of them all and lucky to be their father.

Volunteer work- been doing it my entire career. Great way to be around like-minded folks, working toward the same goals.

I do need to work on my behavior in public. I'm just about as goofy and nutty as when I was a kid.

The end.

Yep your old, you're soo wordy....Do people act like they need to do something while you blather on? They do me...

I wish more old people would act their age. There was a NYT article just a few weeks back about baby boomers suddenly realizing that they're the old generation and having a conniption about it, declaring that they're still young at heart. What is it with people like that. They're older than me and they seem to not understand that their generation didn't discover youthful rebellion, the pleasures of sex, etc. I'm quite sure that old people 50 years ago also thought that they were young at heart but they acted their age.

I guess what I mean is this, tomorrow I will go and watch my granddaughter. She is two and I am 53. We will most likely get down on the floor and build block towers, which she will knock down. We will run around the house chasing each other back and forth. This is not what my grandparents would have done.

The old timers told me many years ago, was that the secret to long life and happiness is to drink your milk in the morning,, and eat your hunny at night....

The end.

Yep your old, you're soo wordy....Do people act like they need to do something while you blather on? They do me...
Here's one remedy... :slap:

That reminds me... I'm more gabby and engaging with strangers. It embarrasses the Mrs. and the child sometimes. Today I was getting some groceries when I said to the mom with three kids "Geez when did chicken broth get so expensive"? Then there was the guy unloading C02 into the convenience store receiving valve out back. Talked for 15 minutes asking him how it all worked and why he did this and that. It was a fucking hoot! But I learned something.

Remembered something else totally unrelated... a couple months ago I pulled into the mall parking lot. Pouring down rain... well there was an elderly lady wheeling her yet more elderly mother to their van. So I parked, grabbed my umbrella, and held it over the two of them until they got in their vehicle. Got soaking wet but I felt like Mr. Cool. :cool:

Excellent post. Saving and investing in order to have a self-sufficient retirement should be a part of one's financial lifestyle.

The end.

Here's one remedy... :slap:

That reminds me... I'm more gabby and engaging with strangers. It embarrasses the Mrs. and the child sometimes. Today I was getting some groceries when I said to the mom with three kids "Geez when did chicken broth get so expensive"? Then there was the guy unloading C02 into the convenience store receiving valve out back. Talked for 15 minutes asking him how it all worked and why he did this and that. It was a fucking hoot! But I learned something.

Remembered something else totally unrelated... a couple months ago I pulled into the mall parking lot. Pouring down rain... well there was an elderly lady wheeling her yet more elderly mother to their van. So I parked, grabbed my umbrella, and held it over the two of them until they got in their vehicle. Got soaking wet but I felt like Mr. Cool. :cool:

I catch myself acting like my Papa and Grandfather...duh-oh! One cussed all the time and the other was always pulling legs...

Excellent post. Saving and investing in order to have a self-sufficient retirement should be a part of one's financial lifestyle.

BS you raise kids to earn a good income and move in with them...

Forum List

Back