Thought Experiment on Old Age

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I am 72 years old, and reasonably aware of my surroundings.

I imagine an old fart like me in 1974 (born in 1902). He was born in '02, clearly remembers WWI (but was too young to be drafted), came of age in the Roaring Twenties but had to suffer through the Great Depression. He clearly remembers WWII (but was too old to be drafted), as well as Korea, and was in his peak earning years in the 50's and 60's. All in all, a pretty lucky bastard, as far as the calendar goes.

But 1902 is one hundred twenty years ago, a unimaginable time for actual living people to remember.

I was think about this the other day. I am 10 years younger than you. My grandfather was in his 50's when I was born. That would have meant he was born around 1909. The civil war was over in 1865, 44 years before he was born, so when my grandfather was 10 years old Civil Wars vets would be in their 70s. Weird that I have talked to people that have talked to civil war vets.

I was think about this the other day. I am 10 years younger than you. My grandfather was in his 50's when I was born. That would have meant he was born around 1909. The civil war was over in 1865, 44 years before he was born, so when my grandfather was 10 years old Civil Wars vets would be in their 70s. Weird that I have talked to people that have talked to civil war vets.

I'm the same age as you. My grandfather was born in 1895. He knew former slaves, and civil war vets. He fought in WWI and worked in the ship yards in WWII. It is weird that he was born the year the Frontier West was said to be closed.

1902 is a 120 years ago.

But yeah, he could've seen the Wright Brothers fly the first plane.

He could've seen a lot of firsts.

He could've caught tuberculosis and died. Or polio. Or died from smallpox.

He could've died in the Spanish Flu epidemic in 1918 where 675,000 died. It went after the young and healthy.

He would've suffered through the Great Depression. WWII would've been no cake walk.

Last edited:
I am 72 years old, and reasonably aware of my surroundings.

I imagine an old fart like me in 1974 (born in 1902). He was born in '02, clearly remembers WWI (but was too young to be drafted), came of age in the Roaring Twenties but had to suffer through the Great Depression. He clearly remembers WWII (but was too old to be drafted), as well as Korea, and was in his peak earning years in the 50's and 60's. All in all, a pretty lucky bastard, as far as the calendar goes.

But 1902 is one hundred twenty years ago, a unimaginable time for actual living people to remember.
Demo your old body or put up with the pain, Carpe diem or live for the day to add a bit of touch with Latin.

My grandma was born in 1912. She saw a lot.
meme and toni 1950.jpg

That's her in 1950 with my aunt. I remember a few old sayings she used. When something made her mad she'd yell out, "That makes my ass wanna dip snuff!" And then, "Shit fire and save matches!"

Forum List

Back