this will never stands, city sends 200k bill to would-be quran burners

The church must first refuse to pay the bill and let the city sue them for it. The the case will be heard by (considering the amount) a superior court. Considering the circumstances surrounding the city's claim... there are several grounds for the church to answer with a counter suit. No superior court judge will rule for the city on this trumped up crap, anyway.

Mark

• Thanks
Reactions: blu

As someone who supports the property rights of the people to build the mosque in New York near Ground Zero I think you have to accept the right of the church to burn the Koran in Florida on the same principle of property rights, even if it offends you as a Muslim, and you'd have to oppose the city sending them a bill to stifle their right to do so.

we'll see if the ACLU offers to defend them in court.

I think they would. it would be a terrible precedent to set. it would stifle free speech all over the country

The city doesn't give a crap about the Qur'an, they saw an opportunity to steal some more money from one of their citizens. Any excuse possible to feed their pockets.....just a thought :tongue:

I'll bet if he 'got ticked at the Pope and GOD' and burned Bibles, there would be no outcry just a second rate story on the 6th page of some paper while the congregations and the city sat in silence.

Last edited:
Having lived in small towns most of my childhood, I know exactly what the city is doing. They don't intend to get the money. They are harrassing that group, in hopes that they will move on.

In a small town, when you have a bad actor that has yet to do anything bad enough to be sent to the state pen, but is a constant pain in the but, he, or she, gets pulled over every time a cop sees him on the street. All lights, horn, and brakes are inspected. Any time they weave a bit, they are tested for a dui. Where they live is checked for city nuisance violations. Ect. and so on. Until the message gets through and they move on.

Having lived in small towns most of my childhood, I know exactly what the city is doing. They don't intend to get the money. They are harrassing that group, in hopes that they will move on.

In a small town, when you have a bad actor that has yet to do anything bad enough to be sent to the state pen, but is a constant pain in the but, he, or she, gets pulled over every time a cop sees him on the street. All lights, horn, and brakes are inspected. Any time they weave a bit, they are tested for a dui. Where they live is checked for city nuisance violations. Ect. and so on. Until the message gets through and they move on.

Until the person hires a lawyer and sues them for harassment.

yep and there is no excuse for that today. if you can't afford a lawyer, the aclu will take up the case it and make it national news

City puts cost of Quran-burning security at $200,000, sends bill to church | quran, city, security - News - Northwest Florida Daily News

what the church was planning on doing was legal and its the cities responsibility to protect. what a bunch of bullshit, they are trying to silence people by threatening them with large bills!

The hell it won't. This jack ass has a right to free speech, but it's more than reasonable to expect him to pay the bill for the security when he creates an international incident.

Just like you get charged for an ambulance ride.

City puts cost of Quran-burning security at $200,000, sends bill to church | quran, city, security - News - Northwest Florida Daily News

what the church was planning on doing was legal and its the cities responsibility to protect. what a bunch of bullshit, they are trying to silence people by threatening them with large bills!

The hell it won't. This jack ass has a right to free speech, but it's more than reasonable to expect him to pay the bill for the security when he creates an international incident.

:cuckoo:

no group would be able to protest or do anything unfavorable to the city government where an event is held if this were the case. Imagine if DC sent the security bill to every grouped that gathered at the capital...

Well, first, the church never did burn the Koran. And second, no, it is not like an ambulance ride. IMO, you cannot chill free speech in this way, Geauxtohell. If it were, mebbe we could finally rid ourselves of those asswipes from the Westborto Baptist Church...but the POV you are taking would limit freedom to speech to those who could pay.

I cannot find a Supreme Court decision on-point (there may be one; I feel lazy) but I'll fall down in a faint if this is found to be constitutional.

Well, first, the church never did burn the Koran. And second, no, it is not like an ambulance ride. IMO, you cannot chill free speech in this way, Geauxtohell. If it were, mebbe we could finally rid ourselves of those asswipes from the Westborto Baptist Church...but the POV you are taking would limit freedom to speech to those who could pay.

I cannot find a Supreme Court decision on-point (there may be one; I feel lazy) but I'll fall down in a faint if this is found to be constitutional.

This was a deliberately inciteful act by this "minister" that endangered the whole community.

I think it will be interested to see if it sticks, but I hope it does.

Last edited:

This was a deliberately inciteful act by this "minister" that endangered the whole community.

I think it will be interested to see if it sticks, but I hope it does.

You're ridiculous. Think of all the times that some group or protest has received protection or security by a municipality and name ONE time that group has had to foot the bill. Just one.

By your "logic" when 911 responds to a domestic disturbance call a woman should have to pay for the officers protecting her from being killed.

• Thanks
Reactions: blu

Too bad that the Supreme Court disagrees with you.

The Forsyth County ordinance contains more than the possibility of censorship through uncontrolled discretion. As construed by the county, the ordinance often requires that the fee be based on the content of the speech.

The county envisions that the administrator, in appropriate instances, will assess a fee to cover “the cost of necessary and reasonable protection of persons participating in or observing said ... activit[y].” See In order to assess accurately the cost of security for parade participants, the administrator “‘must necessarily examine the content of the message that is conveyed,’” Arkansas Writers’ Project, Inc. v. Ragland, 481 U. S. 221, 230 (1987), quoting FCC v. League of Women Voters of Cal., 468 U. S. 364, 383 (1984), estimate the response of others to that content, and judge the number of police necessary to meet that response. The fee assessed will depend on the administrator’s measure of the amount of hostility likely to be created by the speech based on its content. Those wishing to express views unpopular with bottle throwers, for example, may have to pay more for their permit.

Although petitioner agrees that the cost of policing relates to content, it contends that the ordinance is content neutral because it is aimed only at a secondary effect — the cost of maintaining public order. It is clear, however, that, in this case, it cannot be said that the fee’s justification “‘ha nothing to do with content.’” Ward, 491 U. S., at 792, quoting Boos v. Barry, 485 U. S. 312, 320 (1988) (opinion of O’Connor, J.).

The costs to which petitioner refers are those associated with the public’s reaction to the speech. Listeners’ reaction to speech is not a content-neutral basis for regulation. See id., at 321 (opinion of O’Connor, J.); id., at 334 (opinion of Brennan, J.); Hustler Magazine, Inc. v. Falwell, 485 U. S. 46, 55–56 (1988); Murdock v. Pennsylvania, 319 U. S. 105, 116 (1943); cf. Schneider v. State (Town of Irvington), 308 U. S. 147, 162 (1939) (fact that city is financially burdened when listeners throw leaflets on the street does not justify restriction on distribution of leaflets). Speech cannot be financially burdened, any more than it can be punished or banned, simply because it might offend a hostile mob. See Gooding v. Wilson, 405 U. S. 518 (1972); Terminiello v. Chicago, 337 U. S. 1 (1949).

This Court has held time and again: “Regulations which permit the Government to discriminate on the basis of the content of the message cannot be tolerated under the First Amendment.” Regan v. Time, Inc., 468 U. S. 641, 648–649 (1984); Simon & Schuster, Inc. v. Member of N.Y. State Crime Victims Bd., 502 U. S. 105, 116 (1991); Arkansas Writers’ Project, 481 U. S., at 230. The county offers only one justification for this ordinance: raising revenue for police services. While this undoubtedly is an important government responsibility, it does not justify a content-based permit fee. See id., at 229–231.

- Google Scholar

But don't let the constitution get in the way of your desire to squelch free speech.

Forum List

Back