this will never stands, city sends 200k bill to would-be quran burners

City puts cost of Quran-burning security at $200,000, sends bill to church | quran, city, security - News - Northwest Florida Daily News

what the church was planning on doing was legal and its the cities responsibility to protect. what a bunch of bullshit, they are trying to silence people by threatening them with large bills!

The hell it won't. This jack ass has a right to free speech, but it's more than reasonable to expect him to pay the bill for the security when he creates an international incident.

Just like you get charged for an ambulance ride.

He didn't burn the Korans. The only international incidents created were by terrorist Muslims who used the threat to Burn the Korans as an excuse. Send the bill to them.

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel
City puts cost of Quran-burning security at $200,000, sends bill to church | quran, city, security - News - Northwest Florida Daily News

what the church was planning on doing was legal and its the cities responsibility to protect. what a bunch of bullshit, they are trying to silence people by threatening them with large bills!

The hell it won't. This jack ass has a right to free speech, but it's more than reasonable to expect him to pay the bill for the security when he creates an international incident.

He didn't burn the Korans. The only international incidents created were by terrorist Muslims who used the threat to Burn the Korans as an excuse. Send the bill to them.

So, when the Phelps family protests at soldiers' funerals and security has to be there to protect them from angry mourners, the bill for that security should be sent to the mourners?

• Thanks
Reactions: blu
Local government has to pay it, boedecca. Cannot bill someone for excersizing their rights to free speech, assembly etc.

If that is true in ALL cases, Madeline. But I think I read somewhere that legal protest marches have to pay for their own security....I am willing to admit that is wrong if someone can prove otherwise.

Why would the bill be illegal? When groups hold legal parades, etc. that require security, they get the bill.

There is a flat rate that is charged to everyone. The KKK pays exactly the same as a Buddhist group, which is why that is legal. They are trying to charge this guy because they claim his activity led to a greater danger, and thus a higher cost, to the city than another group.

That is content based discrimination against free speech.

So, when the Phelps family protests at soldiers' funerals and security has to be there to protect them from angry mourners, the bill for that security should be sent to the mourners?

Of course not, nor should it be sent to WBC. Doing so would price them out of their right to protest and free speech.

Local government has to pay it, boedecca. Cannot bill someone for excersizing their rights to free speech, assembly etc.

If that is true in ALL cases, Madeline. But I think I read somewhere that legal protest marches have to pay for their own security....I am willing to admit that is wrong if someone can prove otherwise.

They have to pay for a permit, not for security.

- Google Scholar

I have an idea, let's all agree to disagree and let the tax payers in Florida pay for the right of free speech. Of course, the tax payers work hard for their money, and shouldn't be required to pay for medical insurance for a child born of poor parents. It's all about personal responsibility, isn't it?

I have an idea, let's all agree to disagree and let the tax payers in Florida pay for the right of free speech. Of course, the tax payers work hard for their money, and shouldn't be required to pay for medical insurance for a child born of poor parents. It's all about personal responsibility, isn't it?

non-sequitir? appeal to emotions?

no shit. What part of a man has the right to stand on the street and yell what the fuck ever he wants does WRy not get? The police are required to enforce the law either way. If the city CHOSE to send extra units there or whatever, that is their choice. They could equally have chosen to send one guy with a cell phone with instructions to call if need be.

I thought you were a moderate, why are you whining like a progressive?

Exactly, good call. But, not an idiotgram, there is some substance to the post, as well as partisan rhetoric. Why should I be denied what seems to be the main thrust of the RWers?

Am I free to walk alone along a sidewalk in down-town Harlem at 3:00am while I chant anti-Black slurs and wear anti-Black clothing? If so, then should I be held fully responsible for my own extra protection which would likely be needed and/or for the consequences of my use of my free speech rights?

This group was exercising it's free speech. It has that right to do so. It will pay for the exercise of that right in a manner that cost the community a good deal of money. They are already feeling the pressure within that community. This is how small communities take care of pains-in-the-ass of whatever political or religious persuasion.

There are prices to be paid for exercizing one free speech rights. The Republican Party will pay for the free speech rights of the Deleware Dingbat. And a few others to boot.

This weekend there was a 10k walk/run that called for many streets to be blocked off and patrol cars to block at busy intersections and railway crossings. Should the money raised pay the officers or go to the charity it was meant for? Guess what? The city paid for the cops, even though most people involved weren't from the city.

Many here are saying that they didn't like the jerk's reasoning, thus he should pay. Doesn't work that way.

Forum List

Back