This marks the end to gun control

I find it hard to believe you can 3d print a fully functional gun. Maybe certain parts of the gun can be printed, but are you telling me 3d print material can withstand the impact of the bullet explosions as they are ejected from the gun?

Yup they can , technology is wonderful

Is this a good thing if a terrorist can smuggle a 3D printed gun on an airplane? Sounds like people who shouldn't have a weapon will be able to bypass the background checks.
Let's stop importing terrorists ok?

Let's not evade the question either. Will a terrorist be able to get one of these things through airport security?
Can they get one through right now?

Frankly, I don't know. But I could envision a scenario where a few terrorists can smuggle the parts to a few 3D guns, assemble and load them and try to take over the flight. Dunno about bullets, there might be ways to do that inside a baby stroller or a blind man's cane or whatever.

Is this a good thing if a terrorist can smuggle a 3D printed gun on an airplane? Sounds like people who shouldn't have a weapon will be able to bypass the background checks.
Let's stop importing terrorists ok?

Let's not evade the question either. Will a terrorist be able to get one of these things through airport security?
Can they get one through right now?

Frankly, I don't know. But I could envision a scenario where a few terrorists can smuggle the parts to a few 3D guns, assemble and load them and try to take over the flight. Dunno about bullets, there might be ways to do that inside a baby stroller or a blind man's cane or whatever.
There are actually movies with just that scenario. I don't know what this means, but I'm pretty sure that the TSA has thought about it. Not saying they've done anything about it, but they've thought about it.

I find it hard to believe you can 3d print a fully functional gun. Maybe certain parts of the gun can be printed, but are you telling me 3d print material can withstand the impact of the bullet explosions as they are ejected from the gun?

I didn't know they could 3d print metal. That's wild.

It isn't. Its a kind of polymer that has the tensile strength of steel.

I forget what its called.

My bad. I guess it is a metal.

I didn't know they could 3d print a material that can be a substitute for steel. Equally wild in my opinion.
Yeah, there are a number of materials these days that equal or exceed steel in tensile strength.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/10/3d-printing-doubles-strength-stainless-steel

3D printing doubles the strength of stainless steel

By Robert F. ServiceOct. 30, 2017 , 12:00 PM

3D printing has taken the world by storm, but it currently works best with plastic and porous steel—materials too weak for hard-core applications. Now, researchers have come up with a way to 3D print tough and flexible stainless steel, an advance that could lead to faster and cheaper ways to make everything from rocket engines to parts for nuclear reactors and oil rigs.

Stainless steel was first invented nearly 150 years ago, and it remains widely popular today. It’s made by melting conventional steel—itself a combination of iron and carbon (and sometimes other metals like nickel)—and adding in chromium and molybdenum, which prevent rust and corrosion. A complex series of cooling, reheating, and rolling steps gives the material a microscopic structure with tightly packed alloy grains and thin boundaries between the grains that create a cell-like structure. When the metal is bent or stressed, planes of atoms in the grains slide past one another, sometimes causing crystalline defects to connect with each other—producing fractures. But strong boundaries can halt these defects, making the material tough, yet still flexible enough to be formed into a desired shape.

The gun isn't going to be plastic.......

But will people be able to gain access to 3D weapons without a background check? Not sure I like where this is going.

You can already get weapons without a background check.

But will people be able to gain access to 3D weapons without a background check? Not sure I like where this is going.
0514082006a.jpg

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/10/3d-printing-doubles-strength-stainless-steel

3D printing has taken the world by storm, but it currently works best with plastic and porous steel—materials too weak for hard-core applications. Now, researchers have come up with a way to 3D print tough and flexible stainless steel, an advance that could lead to faster and cheaper ways to make everything from rocket engines to parts for nuclear reactors and oil rigs.

Stainless steel was first invented nearly 150 years ago, and it remains widely popular today. It’s made by melting conventional steel—itself a combination of iron and carbon (and sometimes other metals like nickel)—and adding in chromium and molybdenum, which prevent rust and corrosion. A complex series of cooling, reheating, and rolling steps gives the material a microscopic structure with tightly packed alloy grains and thin boundaries between the grains that create a cell-like structure. When the metal is bent or stressed, planes of atoms in the grains slide past one another, sometimes causing crystalline defects to connect with each other—producing fractures. But strong boundaries can halt these defects, making the material tough, yet still flexible enough to be formed into a desired shape.

If I recall, they began research on this in earnest when they started thinking about going to Mars. They'll need to print a lot of their tools and parts. It would be very cheap to send an unmanned ship with the tons of material needed for this and then ensure that they could land on Mars next to it so that they could begin setting up shop.

I was wrong about gold, it is just still poured in a 3d printed mold...

Gold 3D Printing Explained: Technology, Material, Tips | 3D Printing Blog | i.materialise

Gold 3D Printing Explained: Technology, Alloys, Colors, Design Tips
by Fabian | April 25, 2017

3D printing is changing the way goldsmiths work and design. More and more people are asking us how 3D printed jewelry items in gold look and feel. In this article, we explain how gold items are created, the difference between 14k and 18k, its various colors, and how to model your 3D design to get the perfect gold 3D print!

The Technology: It’s All Based on Wax
Instead of printing your gold item directly, we use wax 3D printing and lost wax casting to build your design. The wax printing process is a type of stereolithography that uses a wax-like resin. Support structures are printed along with the model to make sure the item does not fall apart. These support structures are automatically generated and then manually removed after the printing process.

The wax cast is subsequently covered in a fine plaster. When the plaster solidifies, it is put in an oven until the wax is completely burned off. The gold is then poured into the empty cast, thus creating a 3D printed gold item. In the final step of this process, the item is polished and finished manually.

If I recall, they began research on this in earnest when they started thinking about going to Mars. They'll need to print a lot of their tools and parts. It would be very cheap to send an unmanned ship with the tons of material needed for this and then ensure that they could land on Mars next to it so that they could begin setting up shop.

FYI their is a 3D printer on the space station.

Space Station 3-D Printer Builds Ratchet Wrench To Complete First ...
NASA (.gov) › station › research › news

upload_2018-7-20_17-43-17.jpeg
Dec 22, 2014 · The ratchet wrench was designed by Noah Paul-Gin, an engineer at Made In Space Inc., a northern California company that NASA contracted to design, build and operate the printer. ... International Space Station Expedition 42 Commander Barry "Butch" Wilmore shows off a ratchet wrench

So why buy a gun when you can make it anyway you want it and get through airport security!
----------------------- its still metal , it won't get through metal detectors or 'tsa' if they are doing their job Kosh .

This comes up every few months.and it's funnier each time I see it. There is no way a 3D printed gun will ever reach the quality of a manufactured gun to start with, and without universal background checks, anyone who wants a gun can have one, or many, anyway. If you want a home made gun, you can build one of your own in your garage with just a few common tools. Plenty of instructions for that on the internet.

There is no way a 3D printed gun will ever reach the quality of a manufactured gun

I wouldn't bet the farm on that one. Did you watch the videos? They did a 500 round stress test on one of them, and this technology is still in its infancy.

Forum List

Back